• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing WTK Turning down a Carbon Fiber barrel

SNIPERS4DUMMIES

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 21, 2004
Where the Gators swell
Has anyone had this service performed before on their carbon wrapped rifle barrel?
and the results?

Curious if I could have it done for affixing a suppressor
Thanks

Re: WTK Turning down a Carbon Fiber barrel

Turning down? You mean threading....or recontouring the end of the barrel (including the carbon fiber)?

If recontouring, I'm 99% sure it would toast the barrel, wrap, etc and you'd have a $1000 piece of scrap.

No, it's already threaded. I'd say recontouring the barrel for a smaller profile. I figured as much since the process is wrapping, but it never hurts to ask.
Thanks Jason!

Now, I have never done it, and also wouldn't personally recommend doing it, but when I talked to Rock about having a blank made to finish at 18", they were only making them to certain lengths (which I don't recall right now). When I asked them, they gave me the impression that you can machine the carbon fiber just like steel, they stated that I could cut it down to whatever length I wanted, regardless if there was the steel piece at the end of the wrap. The carbon fiber is bonded with resin of some sort, so perhaps it can be done? The ABS stuff is less like the sheets that brand C uses. I would give rock or ABS a call and see what they say.

the barrel already has a steel threaded endcap and I already tried ABS but no response on their end, maybe Rock is more receptive.
Thanks Dave!

Carbon fiber can be machined, but it takes expensive tooling and an even more expensive dust collection system. The costs associated with getting a CF barrel turned are probably more than just buying a barrel and having it turned and CF wrapped to the profile you want.

your better off selling and buying a new one. and if your selling let me know what you have id might be interested.

What possible benefit?

Steel barrels can be turned down to reduce weight.

The whole point of a carbon barrel (besides heat dissipation) is to save weight but keep the rigidity of a heavy contour barrel.

You propose removing part of the lightest part of the barrel.

Reminds me of '70s bicycle racers drilling out aluminum parts to save weight.

Makes no sense whatever.

The only reason I could see for wanting to do this is to mount a suppressor on the barrel. The suppressor extending to the rear of the mount over barrel, and the heavy contour of the Carbon wraped barrel interfearing with its mounting.