• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WTK - What barrel Manufacture to get to replace old barrel for Remmy 700 223

sgt6402

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2019
WTK

What is considered to be the go-to barrel for replacing on a Remington 700 in 223?
I have a 1995 Remington 700 and the barrel is a 1 in 12 twist rate. It's time for a new barrel and would like to go with a 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 to shoot 69gr & 77gr?

Also, who would be a known and reputable gunsmith to do the work?

Thanks for any and all input!!!

Reactions: pabrousseau
If you're not going to do a Remage as above, I'd figure out which smith you want to do it first. Once you've figured out the smith, you can either use what the have/suggest or provide your own. It's legitimately hard to make a bad choice. My non exhaustive list of people making good tubes: Bartlein, Krieger, Proof, Brux, Shilen, Lilja, Rock Creek, Hawk Hill, Muller Works... and that's just single point cut (and maybe a button or two?).

If you're not gonna run what you smith has on hand (or you're doing the work yourself), go to Southern Precision Rifles (or similar) and order what you want from them. It's what I did when I wanted a 6 Creed barrel - they had several options, were more than willing to discuss them with me, and also did some reasonably riced, very prompt work to get me squared away.

Reactions: Hkmiller
Depends how much money you are willing to spend ! GA Precision Rifles is a great place to start a new rebuild !
1:7 twist for 77gr or heavier

@bohem

Patriot Valley Arms

his 223s shoot lights out

Yup send him the action and have him install an Osprey barrel in length and contour of choice and you will have a shooter.

WTK

What is considered to be the go-to barrel for replacing on a Remington 700 in 223?
I have a 1995 Remington 700 and the barrel is a 1 in 12 twist rate. It's time for a new barrel and would like to go with a 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 to shoot 69gr & 77gr?

Also, who would be a known and reputable gunsmith to do the work?

Thanks for any and all input!!!
We do these with regularity at PVA. I have 1:7 twist blanks in stock that you can pick the contour (we contour to the order) and the length up to 26" long.

We have two options for 223 throats and we can custom throat if you're shooting something atypical. For factory 69/77 ammo I have a perfect spec for you.

Our standard process for doing a Remington is to measure the action and provide a laser engraved tag with all the action's critical dimensions on it when the barreled action is returned. This way when you're ready for another one in the future there's no need to send the receiver back again.

Reactions: DJL2 and Hkmiller