• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision WTM (MTM) vs M18

mirage98

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2010
New Braunfels, TX
Anyone have thoughts of the MTM vs M18?

Preferably feedback from other than FLIR's cheerleader Skypup :)

Anyone know the true differences of an WTM vs MTM? Is the WTM reticle adjustable or is still adjusted mechanically? Might be able to pick up a WTM at same cost of M18 640 so trying to determine if an M18 would be better considering I'd use this primarily as a handheld but would like the occasional weapon mount ability of the WTM.

The wtm is only rated for 5.56 I don't know about the M18. I have a MTM and I love it but it did get the black screen of death after 7 years. A new circuit board for $1500 fixed the problem.

With greater heat differentials do you ever get a lot of "noise" while hunting? I'd imagine more false positives could occur. Rocks showing hot vs actual animal.

With white hot/black hot you'd have washout. Where with the color palette you could differentiate rocks vs animals by the colors of the object in question.

These videos were shot with the MTM using a iphone. Now when using the iphone to record you get the black screen with a circle of video in the middle so I cropped out the black screen so some resolution is lost. But I have never had trouble spotting coyotes, deer, hogs with it even at highway speeds. About the only thing that will slow it down is high heat with fog. Weather conditions in the first video is during the Texas summer high 80's low 90's. The second is mostly winter the opening clip is low 20's with freezing rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kOS83-nWrw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xa-LpXcGHg

Last edited:
MTM Blows away the M18! Funny thing is MTM is a DRS320 and FLIR is Tau640, however MTM still way better.

Anyone actually play with a wtm and mtm to compare differences?

Still not convinced a mtm blows a m18 away. Still waiting to see pics of lwts blowing a t70 away..

Still not convinced a mtm blows a m18 away. Still waiting to see pics of lwts blowing a t70 away..
I have. I'm very satisfied with the MTM, and thanks to Jim at SPI, I'm digging the L3 LWTS he sold me.

Last edited:

Just ask Test N Doc if the L3 LWTS blows away the FLIR T70, dont ask me, im just a salesman, ask a real customer who owns one!

Mirage, please come visit us in sin city man, you can look through both the l3 and the T70 and decide yourself, you can also look through the MTM or WTM and compare with the M18

For casual users like us.....differences are probably negligible. I'm wondering how the optics stand up to constant use and how well the design fares against the elements.
For the last generation class of thermals, INSIGHT CNVD etc.... what was FLIR's horse in the race I would love to know.