• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WTO SwitchLug vs ARC Barloc

slickyboyboo

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2011
As far as a switch barrel setup, I have one big question? Several talk about how the Barloc is the better option due to the ability to put torque on the barrel threads, and that isn't possible with the WTO SwitchLug. My question is, how do you keep the Barloc clocked in the proper 12 o'clock position when changing barrels? It is easy with the SwitchLug, because it is pinned. I would think a SwitchLug with a witness/index mark would be very repeatable.

That was the thought; however, ARC stopped selling due to reports of issues. ARC hasn’t released any follow ups on when revisions to Barloc are coming.

It the earlier designs posted the scope rail was used to clock the Barloc but in the final product that's not the case.

So yes there's a bit trail and error to clock it perfectly, per ARC's instruction manual you can insert the short end of the allen key into the screw and use the long end to turn the Barloc but I wan't able to do it. So for me it's torque - if not clocked correctly - loosen - adjust - torque - repeat.

Did ARC stop selling them?

I thought PVA just stopped selling shouldered Barloc Pre-fit barrels.

With a barrel nut, you tighten it until the Barlock tensioner gap and headspace are good, then tighten the tensioner. Any amount of tolerance stack gets taken out by twisting the barrel nut.

Creating a witness mark so the barrel is in exactly the same position when it is tensioned is the tricky part so you have to come up with something if you want to use a Barloc to make a switch barrel rifle that returns to zero.

Did ARC stop selling them?

I thought PVA just stopped selling shouldered Barloc Pre-fit barrels.

With a barrel nut, you tighten it until the Barlock tensioner gap and headspace are good, then tighten the tensioner. Any amount of tolerance stack gets taken out by twisting the barrel nut.

Creating a witness mark so the barrel is in exactly the same position when it is tensioned is the tricky part so you have to come up with something if you want to use a Barloc to make a switch barrel rifle that returns to zero.

Obviously ARC determined that it needed work. I’m working on getting parts together for a switch barrel build, and the WTO SwitchLug is sounding better by the min.

I'm not sure that's accurate. The Barloc is out of stock at ARC but that's kind of understandable when they are ramping up the Archimedes and Xylo.

I did a quick search and found no mention of ARC stopping Barloc production.

If you could, please link to the thread or website where someone from ARC or a company they do business with (like PVA) says that ARC has stopped making them.

I'm not sure that's accurate. The Barloc is out of stock at ARC but that's kind of understandable when they are ramping up the Archimedes and Xylo.

I did a quick search and found no mention of ARC stopping Barloc production.

If you could, please link to the thread or website where someone from ARC or a company they do business with (like PVA) says that ARC has stopped making them.

Very first post.

Reactions: b6graham
It seems odd that there has been no official word from ARC about this.

The story seems to be if you whack the barrel hard enough, you can get a POI shift that may self correct after one to a few shots.

Also the RTZ isn't perfect when people try to use it to create a switch barrel setup.

It still seems to be a good hand tool only barrel install method and if Ted can figure out how to fix the POI shift when the barrel gets whacked, I'll be happy with mine.

I have the WTO switch lug on a TL3 and so far I like it. I haven't done any zero repeatability tests, just because before a match I would re-zero anyway. I like the ability to replace barrels and switch calibers with one hand and no vise.

My gunsmith likes it as well, and he said he'd like to build one out. I'm considering another one for a Defiance 338 CIP length action.

Scott

It seems odd that there has been no official word from ARC about this.

The story seems to be if you whack the barrel hard enough, you can get a POI shift that may self correct after one to a few shots.

Also the RTZ isn't perfect when people try to use it to create a switch barrel setup.

It still seems to be a good hand tool only barrel install method and if Ted can figure out how to fix the POI shift when the barrel gets whacked, I'll be happy with mine.

b3833a748139ca7a420ed4c0b69e6984.jpg