• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WTT: Desert Tech SRS-A1 for lighter weight custom rifle

Nitrosteel

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2018
GA
I have a Desert Tech SRS-A1 in 6.5x47 Lapua. It is the newest model of the SRS-A1 and is in great condition. Included is the torque wrench for conversion changes and the original box, a 6 round and 10 round magazine. It has approximately 600 rounds fired through it. Rifle is all black and unmodified. A real tack driver...

I’d like to trade for a lighter weight custom hunting rifle. I am fairly open to most things, but it needs to be of similar value. Another 6.5x47 would be great, 6.5 creedmoor, 7mm-08, 7SAUM, 284 win, or another 284 variant would be fine. Would consider one of the 300 mag calibers also. Just to be clear I am open for long or short action. Prefer a Manners EH-1(A) or similar stock.

Assuming I move away from the 6.5x47 I also have whidden bushing dies, approximately 200 pieces of Lapua brass, and some Scenars that we can discuss.

Let the conversations begin. Thank you for your interest.

What kind of weight are you targeting with the trade?

You may also consider selling your 6.5x47 barrel for a different caliber, and pick up a new barrel in your preferred caliber in a real lightweight profile 22” long. Or have your current 6.5x47 rechambered to 6.5 PRC or 6.5 SAUM. But that doesn’t help with your weight issue.
There are some ways to lighten the SRS if that’s still of interest, depending on your weight loss goal.

I can’t remember what the bare rifle weighs with the 26” factory barrel. I verified the weight of rifle, Swarovski x5i scope, desert tech scope mount, and atlas bipod and it is over 15 lbs.

How much could I lose if I went to a 22” carbon fiber barrel? Not thinking it will get me down to the 10-11 pound range where I want to be - do you? I’m willing to call it 14 pounds now without bipod - will the barrel drop 3 pounds or more?

It’s an amazing rifle, trigger, everything. Just heavy to haul into the mountains. 10-11 would be heavy, but more doable.

If I keep the rifle - I would keep the existing barrel as is. It is shooting just over 1/4 moa at 800-1000 (as far as I can shoot around here).

When the A2 came out Desert Tech put out a video and with the A2 Covert, they were talking about a 9 lb gun in a Covert configuration. There was a lot of discussion about the weight on the DT thread at the time, and what could be done to reduce weight.
I think at the time it was decided a lighter profile would save as much weight as a carbon barrel, and is half the cost. Also You can pull the skins apart and completely unscrew the monopod from the chassis, since it isn’t needed for hunting scenarios. It’s worth some experimenting and it only costs you some time. I’m sure someone by now has the lighter weight 6.5 Creed profile and can comment on its final weight for you to compare.