• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WV Mines

mom x 3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2007
SW Virginia
I know some of have heard the news.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/05/explosion-underground-west-virginia-coal/

I want to thank those who have contacted me about Jon (Jon Lester on the Hide), who is fine. He has truly made some great friends.

This is NOT the company where Jon is employed, but it is nearby. Sadly, an employee of Jon's company has a son who works in the Upper Big Branch mine and is unaccounted for. Please keep them all in your prayers.

Mary

Re: WV Mines

Thanks for the news, glad Jon wasn't involved. He's the first one I thought of.

Looks like the wife has been here already.
Thanks to those who have called, E-mailed and PMed about this.
While I was not involved, I know and have worked with some of these gentlemen and as names are released I fear that it may be more than I know.
I ask that anyone reading this pray and pray hard for these families and this community.

And remember this, never has the media missed the boat more since the reporting of the gulf wars.

The trickles of safety issues.
And remember that MSHA is a government organization that writes the laws and fills the role of Judge, Jury and Executioner. And they soley determine the infractions you are allowed to contest.

Jon (and Mrs. L),
You were the first thought I had when I heard the news, and am glad to hear that you're safe and sound.

Glad to hear that you are okay, Jon. I have family in VA who work the mines. Prayers for the families and friends involved.

It has been a sad few days here in WV. Coal mining is the lifes blood of our state. And when things like this happen the whole state comes together. WV really is a tight knit community.

Personally I have lost family members in the mines along with family members suffering serious injuries(my father being one). I also lost one of my best friends just a couple of months out of high school. So we as West Virginians know full well what the mines can do to friends and family.

However this press is completely out of control. They are only concerned about number of dead and fines and violations. And they definitely know not what they speak of.

It is also despicable how they wil not leave the families alone. They just keep badgering the families. And they must look for the most ignorant person they can find to ask questions. And their questions are stupid. It really is a shame what the press does. We do not need these idiot press people here bothering the neighbors and family, they really should knock it off!! Tom.

Tom, I agree completely. I was watching the news this morning, and they referred to them as "mountain people". I was raised in WV, and I have a strong love for the state and take great offense to anyone who dares to criticize or ridicule its people.

At times like this, the people do pull together because it is common knowledge the dangers of coal mining. I too have had family injured, and have lived with Jon going to work every day for 20+ years. You know the risks and you live with them.

I wish they would let these families grieve and stay away. Quit talking about violations and fines - how does this comfort anyone?! They ask the most ridiculous questions and the commentary is almost juvenile. I just have to shake my head at their statements and questions.

My heart goes out to the families and friends in the community. I will just continue to pray for them all.

Mary

I have zero respect for CNN. 24 hour news, when there is none, they make some up.I have many friends that work in southern Illinois mines and this hit close to home.My thoughts and prayers go out to your community. God bless!

I've kept those guys in my prayers, I hope they find survivors.

My g/f's brothers all live in WV - it's a very beautiful state...