• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WW2 Japanese snipers

Miller Tyme

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2020
The 1st sniper rifle I ever owned was a Christmas present I recieved in 1974. It was a scopless 1944 Type 99 my dad bought back in 1968 for the princely sum of $15.60. It took me 47 years to finally acquire a scope for it. The following year I came upon a scopless 1938 Type 97 and right away found a correct mfg scope for it.

The top rifle is the Kokura Type 97 with a Kokura 2.5x scope about 80 off of the s/n of the rifle.

The bottom rifle is the Nagoya Type 99 with a NTC Kogaku 4x scope. This rifles s/n places it within 60-70 rifles of the end of production of Type99 snipers.

I have never shot these with there scopes as the Japanese 'tuned' each scope to the rifle it was mounted on and most with mismatched scopes shoot HOA, and the scopes tend to speckle up there lenses due to flaking of the black paint they used inside there scope tubes.

Attachments

• 1 (2).png
    1 (2).png
    1 MB · Views: 133
  • 2 (2).png
    2 (2).png
    610.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 3 (2).png
    3 (2).png
    526.1 KB · Views: 279
  • 5 (2).png
    5 (2).png
    832.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 6 (2).png
    6 (2).png
    1.2 MB · Views: 648
The Type 99's is ground and the Type 97's has a minimal chisel strike across it.

Thanks for the pics and story. Its difficult to get a good pic, but any chance to show pics of the two reticles of those scopes? I have read that one of them had a range estimation type reticle, which might have been a first for a WWII scope. Years ago I once looked thru what I think was the Type 97, little 2.5X scope with the odd-ball reticle, and I think others might find that aspect interesting - if a picture could be presented on this thread. Regardless, thanks for the post.

Here are pics of the 2 reticles, the 1st one is on the 2.5x Type 97 sniper scope. Some of these scopes where also modified to fit early Type 99 snipers and are referred to as Type 99 cutbacks.

The 2nd pic is of the 4x Type 99 scope. There was an additional scope used on some late production Type 99 that where an adjustable 4x scope, be these are rare and very pricey.

Attachments

• type 97 scope reticle.jpg
    type 97 scope reticle.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 243
  • type 99 reticle.jpg
    type 99 reticle.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 223
Reactions: Ledzep
Thanks for the pics(!). So, is the vertical holdover pattern on the scopes based on trajectory drop out to 1400 meters?! If so, that is very advanced for WWII technology. Thanks again for the pics of what I suspect was the most advanced reticle pattern used in a WWII era shoulder-fired sniper rifle optic.

Last edited:
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

1400m is optimistic for the rifle and cartridge. But since a lot of rifles had irons that went out to 1k, and some 'artillery' model pisols were 200m+, I think there were many Armies with high optimistism in the power of smokeless powder and spitzer bullets. And the fact the Japanese also made AA sights standard on their Arisakas.... A lot of optimism in design!

Both the Type 97 2.5x scope and the Type99 4x scope where not adjustable with both elevation (100-1500m) and windage markings set on the reticle for use by the sniper. The scopes where Zeroed to 300m ( as seen in the pics of the reticle)