• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WWII Aviation Facts

fx77

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 29, 2005
    ny state
    This stuff just amazes me and I want to share it
    So brave were these WWII Aviators

35,946 personnel died in non battle situations..mostly accidental crashes
    Even in combat AF personnel were more likely to die from accidents than direct combat.
    AAF Surgeon General noted: Nov 43-May 45- 70%of men listed as KIA died in operational aircraft accidents.

Causes were too many hrs flying and maintenance, new technology,weather,brake faliures, short runways
    Ref: In the Fifteenth AF : Mae Mill Link and Hubert A. Coleman, : Medical Support of Army Air Force in WWII, :Office of the Surgeon General, USAF Washington DC 1955 p 516.

These pilots were mostly Mid 20's. they had to fly 30 missions later increased to 50
    Reminds me of mY Favorite WWII Novel by Joseph Heller: <span style="text-decoration: underline">Catch</span> <span style="text-decoration: underline">22</span>

Re: WWII Aviation Facts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fx77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This stuff just amazes me and I want to share it
    So brave were these WWII Aviators

35,946 personnel died in non battle situations..mostly accidental crashes
    Even in combat AF personnel were more likely to die from accidents than direct combat.
    AAF Surgeon General noted: Nov 43-May 45- 70%of men listed as KIA died in operational aircraft accidents.

Causes were too many hrs flying and maintenance, new technology,weather,brake faliures, short runways
    Ref: In the Fifteenth AF : Mae Mill Link and Hubert A. Coleman, : Medical Support of Army Air Force in WWII, :Office of the Surgeon General, USAF Washington DC 1955 p 516.

These pilots were mostly Mid 20's. they had to fly 30 missions later increased to 50
    Reminds me of mY Favorite WWII Novel by Joseph Heller: <span style="text-decoration: underline">Catch</span> <span style="text-decoration: underline">22</span> </div></div>
    You also have to remember, the pilots were on accelerated training, which put them into very high performance aircraft, much quicker than the norm, allot of fighter pilots were killed on takeoff, from torque roll,and with their inexperiance they couldnt or didnt compenstate quick enough.