• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s WWII Vet

Marinevet1

Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    A couple of buddies and I always go to a local bar on Wednesdays for $2.00 16oz draft beers, a pretty good deal in todays economy.

I noticed a group of about 6 people come in, there was an older couple, both with walkers leading the group. I noticed the older gentleman was wearing some sort of veterans hat, and we discussed if he might be a WWII vet.

When I went to piss, he had taken his hat off, and set it on the table, and it clearly said, "WWII Veteran."

When we were getting ready to leave, I told my friends I was going to talk to him.

They were eating, and I excused myself for interrupting them, and explained that I only wanted to thank him for his service.

Everyone in the group was very happy for what I was doing, and it almost brought tears to my eyes speaking with him.

I have no idea how old he was, war was 1939-1945............if he was 18 in 1945, he is 96 today,
    probably older than that.

There aren't many of them left, if you get a chance, thank them.......

Nicely done. They are almost gone, and we'll be a worse place for it.

I count myself lucky to have a friend who's 98, served on PT boats in WWII and Vietnam, Korea doing other stuff. One of the only one's to ever do that in all three wars then. He went on to serve well into the 80's trying to teach Admirals how to not fuck stuff up. Every time he sends a group email with his stories, I'm thankful.

Reactions: Marinevet1
    The wife and I are eating at a Big Biscuit a while ago. This older guy all alone comes shuffling in. He is quite "up there" in age. He has a jacket on, and on the sleeve of that jacket it says WWII under that it says Korea and under that it says Vietnam, all on these patches with just the words on them. Oh my, what this guy must have seen.

When our waitress comes over and we go to pay, I tell her I want to buy that man over there his breakfast. She has a huge smile on her face and says that is really nice I will let him know you did that.

NO! Please don't. I just want to buy it for him.

Now she starts to tear up a bit, and says OK and leaves and goes into the back. She comes back with both tickets and I pay them and leave her a hell of a tip.

Then she goes over and talks to the old guy. They are too far away for me to hear, but when she gets to the "meat" of it you see this old guy start looking around. My nose is in my phone, but I am taking quick peaks over. He scans past me. Waitress leaves, and we leave about 10min later.

A few years ago we had a new member at the gun club. Gunny, I can't remember his name everyone just called him gunny. He was in Vietnam. His wife had just died and he was talking about buying that motorcycle he always wanted but she would not let him have. He bought a 250 Honda Rebel, and I got him enrolled in a motorcycle safety class. He was the oldest guy there, and had a ball. He used his bike in the class.

He passed a few months after that, but at least he got to ride that bike for one summer.

Super cool old guy.

All my Dad's freinds were 'Those guys' they just never talked about it.

My college Spanish teacher rode gliders into France. I dont knw if he was in Korea but was SF in viet Nam.

Honestly, I'm glad theyre not here to see whats happening. FJB

The wife and I are eating at a Big Biscuit a while ago. This older guy all alone comes shuffling in. He is quite "up there" in age. He has a jacket on, and on the sleeve of that jacket it says WWII under that it says Korea and under that it says Vietnam, all on these patches with just the words on them. Oh my, what this guy must have seen.

When our waitress comes over and we go to pay, I tell her I want to buy that man over there his breakfast. She has a huge smile on her face and says that is really nice I will let him know you did that.

NO! Please don't. I just want to buy it for him.

Now she starts to tear up a bit, and says OK and leaves and goes into the back. She comes back with both tickets and I pay them and leave her a hell of a tip.

Then she goes over and talks to the old guy. They are too far away for me to hear, but when she gets to the "meat" of it you see this old guy start looking around. My nose is in my phone, but I am taking quick peaks over. He scans past me. Waitress leaves, and we leave about 10min later.

I do this every chance that I get. Not just for older Vets but for anyone in uniform. Even LE.

My funny story: I was eating breakfast early one morning after an early morning callout. About the time I was finishing up 8 officers came in. Probably before or after a shift change. When I was at the register paying out I told the cashier that I wanted to get those guys check. He ask which one and I told him all of them. He ask if I wanted them to know who did it and I told him no. Well, about 10 blocks down the street I get stopped! I signal that I saw the blue lights and pull over into the nearest parking lot. The officer walks up to my truck with a straight face and says "I bet you think this is kind of ironic"! I say "yes sir, that crossed my mind"! He bust out laughing and says the guys that I bought breakfast for put out an APB on me and any officer that saw me was to thank me. True story!

MY father-in-law was in the 9th USAF in WWII and passed away in 2014 at the age of 94. He was a first class private. Because he could understand and speak german (he worked in the mess hall,) he would help with the caretaking of german POWs.

When he passed away, he was given military honors by the US Army Honor Guard. Flag. 21 casings from the gun salute.

Thanks to him and all who have served to keep the freedoms we have.

My neighbor just passed in March, he was a Korean Vet, died at 90. He was really sad about how things had turned nowadays. He was sad for his great grand children but glad that he was leaving this Earth for a better place. He was a character and would talk the ears off a field of corn. I was always happy to spend time with him and we hiked many trials in the GSMNP. Heart of gold and a spine of steel.

He did his bit to save us but we have pissed it all away.