• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Wyatts Extended Box ?s Please Help

JRWALLSIII

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2008
Elkton,Florida,USA
www.wallsrifles.com
Guys

I have an ole Pre 64 Model 70 that has been passed down for the third time now. I stripped the rifle down and sent the action off to have it trued by Greg Tannel. I have almost all my parts on hand and I'm about ready to have a new hunting rifle built. I'm dead set on a 280 Ackley. My last 280 Ackley measured 3.520 with 180 Bergers. The mag box on my model 70 measures 3.400.
So I either need to order a reamer or use a Wyatts Extended box to use the 180s

From past experience what are the cons of using a wyatts box?

100% reliable feeding is important to me.

Thanks

Joe

Re: Wyatts Extended Box ?s Please Help

I guess everybody's rifle has a short throat!

I have a later Model 70 long action. The mag box is ridiculously short and only allows about .025 to seat the bullet past recommended COL. I need about .150 to reach the lands on most bullets. I talked to Wyatt today and he said the action will function identically prior to installation. My Smith says he's done a few and so far, so good. It uses the factory follower. Mag Box= about $30.00 + Labor= about $100.00 (that's just a guess from the Smith).

I don't worry about seating depth on my lever actions but bolt rifle manufacturers go out of their way to make sure your factory rifle won't shoot. They make 'em pretty on the outside but jumping .150 or more, on most of them with no way for a reloader to "seat out" must be the industry chuckle.

Anyway... I'm going to install a Wyatt's extended Mag Box. We'll see how it functions.

Re: Wyatts Extended Box ?s Please Help

I have a wyatts in a 300 WSM and it took some work to get it to feed (about 2 hrs) but after that it works the way it should.