• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wyatt's Outdoors Det Magazine vs Badger Ordinance

MoovinTarget

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
Tomball, TX, USA
I am looking at two Detachable magazine upgrades for a Rem 700 VTR .308 in a H-S Precision Pro-Series M24 Police Tactical Stock Wyatt's Outdoor Detachable Magazine Assembly and one by Badger ordinance.

Would anyoe care to offer a recommendation based on experience?

Re: Wyatt's Outdoors Det Magazine vs Badger Ordinance

I have plenty of experience with the Badger, but not in that stock configuration. The Wyatts is supposed to be nice from what I have read, but I have no complaints with the Badger and the AI mags are not proprietary like the ones for the Wyatt.

I want to get the wyatt extended bottom metal for my next build. Ive heard great things about it. Is that what your talking about?

I'm swaping out a Wyatts mag system, as the mags stuck way below the bottom of the stock, and were a pain to load by comparison.

When you say the Wyatts' mags stick way below stock - are they the 5 or 10 round mags. I just got a Wyatt and am thinking the same thing- just hoping it is only the 10 round mag.

I know the big thing with the Wyatt's is that they are supposed to be a straight drop in for Bell and Carlson stocks... I'm curious to know how much more work the Badger would be. I think unless I had a B&C stock I would go Badger strictly for the Mags.

I have had hands on both and prefer the badger also have it on a bunch of my rifles. Also you should look at the CDI unit, he can inlett and furnish one for the price of a badger. There is also about 4 other smith's on this board that offer nice units. Most require an inlett except for one that is said to be a drop in on a Long action but inlet work on the short action unit. Most if not all accept the AICS mag. The HS unit is also a close drop in but requires its own type of mags.

To be honest the choices are plenty now and while the Badgers are nice my next DBM will come from a shop off the site here.

contact Hooper on here, he's got a near drop in bottom metal for short action with minimal inletting required on the stock.

Good info. Thanks. I just received my Wyatt. I see what you mean about long magazines. They are single stack. The 5 round is not bad but much longer than the stock 4 round.

Anyone got a link to the CDI unit?

I have a wyatt and a CDI... Both have worked well. The Wyatt was a B&C drop in.. it fit pretty tight but still fit, and the mags fit so tight that I had to rub off some parkerizing so they would not bind up in the well. NOW they work as adverized, The CDI has great tolerances, like it more but didnt want to have more inletting done..

Even the 5's stick down quite a ways. I'll take some pics this afternoon and put them up.

Does Wyatt support the Hide? NO
Does Wyatt support the shoots? NO
Has Wyatt been making this product for a while? NO

Support those who support us. Badger Ordnance has been the GO TO for the fact they support "us", the shooting community along with our armed forces.

Get Badger. You get the best-not a knock off copy-and you support they guys that are there for us.

Hey Mike or anyone for that matter,

Does CDI Precision support the Hide or any shoots that you know of?

I need to find a local with a BA and a CDI so I can compare them.

I did receive my Wyatt's. Yes, even the 5rd mag is long. It dropped right into my HS M24 adjustable stock. I cycled a few rounds through it and found it very tight. I compared it to the Savage 10 FCPHS stock 4 round magazine and noticed that the lips that hod the round are much longer. I fashioned the mags after the Savage and they work much better now.

I may sell it along with two 10's and 1 5rd magazine and get the AI or CDI when I do. I know some people are anal about single stack mags, but I have a Savage with staggered rounds and a SA XDm .45ACP with staggered mags and they both work fine.

Just had Jeff at CDI put his DBM in my Tikka T3 Tactical in 223. He did a great job, turned it around fast and it works with AICS mags (the best). It was $249 for the DBM with a mag and another $125 to inlet and return ship.
You can contact him thru his web site. He answered all my emails promptly and he does support this site.
http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MoovinTarget</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Mike or anyone for that matter,

Does CDI Precision support the Hide or any shoots that you know of?

</div></div>

Hey, did the OP ask about CDI? Did the OP ask about a comparison between ALL the available DBMs? NO he didn't. He asked about WYATT's and I addressed WYATTs vs. Badger.

So stay in your lane.

I do think that Wyatt's provided the DBM for the Savage 10BA series. All of the samples of that rifle I handled the magazine was a very sloppy fit. I did not like them at all.

You are correct. Hooper has a darn good looking piece of hardware. I always try not to modify my stocks. This is why I got the Wyatt's. I just don't like the length of the mags. They also fit a little loose. I can fix the loose fit but not the length of the mags.

I put a Wyatt's DBM into a B&C A5. The bottom metal dropped right in place. However, the rounds would not properly eject from my rifle (not an issue with the ejector on the bolt) and it required two people to remove the mag from the mag well.

I have since installed the Badger Ordnance with AI mags and am 100% satisfied.

I will add that I contacted Wyatt's Outdoors. Kevin Wyatt called back and displayed excellent customer service. A friend of mine has since purchased and installed the Wyatts BDM and has not had an issue. It did appear that he changed the 10rnd mags build since my purchase.

Just for the record, we supported the Sacramento Tactical match last spring with a donation. We've always supported our troops and have paid our price in the military. I've personally supported the shooting sports for 45 years as a competitor, and will continue to do so until I die. If this is not enough, then I guess I can't help you. Kevin Wyatt Wyatt's Outdoor, Inc.

Wyatt's is great to work with, the 5 round magazine is perfect... I think the 10 rounder is a little too long, but I am very happy with the DBM.

I got the Wyatt's because it was drop in and I was short on time. Haste makes Waste! Yeah, I know, you told me so. It is my hard head the makes me learn the hard way, but its density can be beneficial at other times.

The mags are sloppy. I had to trim them extensively to get them to feed reliably. The mag internals allow the bullet to nose dive very easily, so it takes too long to reload. The feed when installed is not smooth.

I am now looking at Seekins, CDI, and Surgeon. The side release of the Seekins has aroused my curiosity. AICS mag acceptance is most desireable.

My ears or open and my skull has been soaked to relieve the density when reading the responses.

I have a Wyatt's DBM and have, for the most part, been pleased with it. There are, however, a few downsides and things to watch out for. First the mags are long, as has been mentioned. The mags, being single stack and the follower only being sprung at the back half, makes the magazine relatively hard to load, especially the ten rounder.

The thing to watch out for is that although the bottom metal is a drop in, from a two dimensional standpoint, I've noted a few issues that required shimming either the front or the back, depending on the stock, to get the proper specified clearance. If you don't not take the time to insure the proper clearance, you will then experience things like the mag sticking and less than smooth feeding. I've also noticed that on the stocks that I've tried the Wyatt's with, you have to take care to perfectly center the action in the stock or the mag will stick. I found this to be much less of a problem after I skim bedded the HSP stocks that I've tried the Wyatt's in.

My Wyatt's now has a permanent home in an HSP stock that has been skim bedding, and shimmed to me the specified clearances. The mag drops free when you hit the release and it feeds slicker than snot.

Still, I dread having to load the magazines. My next DBM is going to be based on the AI mags.

My partner has the Wyatts on his 308 in a BC Medalist Tactical stock. He had to shim the action bolts (carbon washers) between the action and stock to get it to feed properly. Once he did that he has had no complaints.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MoovinTarget</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am now looking at Seekins, CDI, and Surgeon. The side release of the Seekins has aroused my curiosity. AICS mag acceptance is most desireable.

</div></div>

Then it looks like the Seekins is your choice. They accept AICS mags and Glen builds excellent products. Order one and learn from your past mistakes. We have all made them when we tried to cut corners to get what we want and it usually ends up costing you more. Don't feel like you are the first one to do it.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My partner has the Wyatts on his 308 in a BC Medalist Tactical stock. He had to shim the action bolts (carbon washers) between the action and stock to get it to feed properly. </div></div>

Bud, unless I'm mistaken, your partner has essentially screwed with the way the action fits to the stock; and this may have a detrimental effect on accuracy. What he should have done was shim between the bottom metal and the stock. It accomplishes the same thing and doesn't affect the stock to action fit.

Badger.

+1 million.

TonyAngel, you might be right he could have done it that way. I know it is very accurate I did the sight in on it after the fact. He did the install and then had a frown on his face because it would not feed properly so he took it to a smith. Me I got to tell him I told you so becuase everything I have is in an ACIS setup. Never had one issue, but not everyone can afford those setups and there are stock and bottom metal combos if installed by a smith will be just as good as an AICS.

Wyatt works.

you pay less and you get a DBM that just works.

what else do you want? to make your rifle more accurate with a magazine kit? the thing is beefy and the mags are tough as hell. I haven't had any problems with mine.

you load your fucking rounds in the magazine, you put the mag in the slot and you close the bolt. you shoot all your rounds, and then you press the mag release and the mag drops free. rinse and repeat that's all there is to it.

it was a perfect drop fit for my B&C stock. it was the most 'inexpensive' and hasn't failed me once in my couple months of use.

A few days ago, I took my 700 (see sig pic), which has the B&C A5 stock and Wyatt's DBM to the range for the first time. I have 5 round and 10 round mags, one of each. I started with the 5 round mag, and it fed fine. However, when I pushed the release button, it wouldn't release the mag. The button felt like it was jammed. After wrestling with it for about 5 minutes, the mag finally broke free. I tried the 10 rounder next, and it fit extremely loose. Once engaged, it had front to back and up and down slop. The up and down slop was so bad, I had to hold up the mag in order for the bolt to strip the next round. Weird, because the 5 rounder fit nice and snug.
I think I may have to call Wyatt's and see if they can help me with this problem.

I just received my Wyatt's it dropped right in my B&C stock, cycled through with the 5rd mag no issues, very smooth. The release of the mag was good also.

IMG_2588.jpg

I have a Rem 700 in 300Win Mag and a H-S Precision stock. The Wyatt's DBM dropped right in, but like Dave308's experience, both my 10 round magazines had a lot of front end slop. I couldn't get all 5 rounds to be picked up out of the magazine with out supporting the front of the magazine.(only load 5 in each of the 10 round mags) A couple would always be missed and the bolt would jam on the side of the cartridge. Finally, I figured out a solution with these larger belted magnums...open up the wings that hold the rounds on the top of the magazine with some pliers...just a smidge. This raised the rounds only about 0.05" so the bolt still cleared, but now the bolt picks up every round and the front end slop seems to not matter.

Man, I am looking real hard at the Wyatt's with a 5rd mag. I really like that I can seat the .300WM out to 3.7" with the Wyatt. I went to the Seekins site, and could only find .338 Lapua mags, but they allowed seating out to 3.9". Does Seekins make a detachable mag for .300WM? I have a Kevin Wyatt built Rem700, and it is a .5 MOA rifle with tuned loads, and the guy is great to deal with. I want reliability, and at least 3.7" of OAL capability.