• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wylde chambering

Near miss

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2019
    Finland
    I am planning to get a head start on my barrel change for the MR223.

Since original HK barrels are under a very heavy rock, I will buy a match barrel for it locally.

Probably a Lothar with 16" barrel, 1/7".

While I like to shoot for precision aside regular shooting, it comes after reliability. There are some very sandy places here too.

I read about Wylde and it seems to have same maximum brass dimensions, just tighter throat.

Fancy picture:
    downloadfile-1.png

My train of thought is this:
    My present rifle is in 556 chamber and shoots plenty fine.
    But I cannot know how the next barrel shoots and apparently wylde gives inherently more precision.. And it never hurts to have more of it.

I read that Wylde will give higher pressure and it seems obvious (less space for powder to burn in). Someone on another thread said it could be problematic with 556 ammo. I guess it requires few variables to match (hot weather, a little bit tighter chamber from new tooling, a hotter batch of ammo with few tenths too much variance in powder)

Living in Europe, we do not even have any 556 available for reasonable cost, I rather buy Geco or other bulk. While having somewhat high velocity, it is not at 556 levels as far as I know.

I take it that Wylde is quite good chambering, compromising little if any for the gains it provides?

Correct, the Wylde will give you better accuracy with no downsides. Anyone that says the 5.56 chamber is larger clearly cannot read chamber prints. The throat is not part of the chamber where the brass sits.

Reactions: Jsp556
    Three rifles with wild chambers and I've had no issues with any of them and they all shoot reasonably well.

Reactions: longshot2000
    You should pull up a print of the specs on the Wylde chamber. You haven't included any of the chamber differences in your fancy drawing.

That said... there's no accuracy problems provided all the rest of the chambering was done reasonably well...