• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Wyoming antelope help

TLong

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
www.1042blue.wixsite.com
I am planning an antelope trip. I have never been to Wyoming, and there is a lot of information to try and absorb for non-residents. I have no preference points and I am not looking to tag a record book buck. In fact, I am really leaning towards a doe/fawn hunt, not only for the likelyhood of getting a tag but to also get some experience in state. I am leaning towards units 9/8. How is the area as far as access and game? I am also interested in any advice you guys can offer.

Re: Wyoming antelope help

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TLong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am planning an antelope trip. I have never been to Wyoming, and there is a lot of information to try and absorb for non-residents. I have no preference points and I am not looking to tag a record book buck. In fact, I am really leaning towards a doe/fawn hunt, not only for the likelyhood of getting a tag but to also get some experience in state. I am leaning towards units 9/8. How is the area as far as access and game? I am also interested in any advice you guys can offer. </div></div>

Just buy tags right as they open, they go fast! It costs ~$36 per doe/fawn tag and they're easy pickings. Public land gets absolutely hammered so you've got to knock on doors if you aren't on a public land herd as the first day opens. They also move around a lot as people shoot at them. I have established relationships with farmers over the years and that's really what it takes if you want 100% success but if you just show up early on the first day and are able/willing to take a 500yd+ shot you'll leave with meat. I stick to one unit every year and it's not 8/9 so I have no opinions there. If you want a buck you're going to have to pay a farmer ~$400 plus the buck tag other wise you'll never get one. Farmers really keep track of the herds because they make a lot of money off out of state buck hunters.

Look at area 7, plenty of government land and private walk in areas.

Don't count on buying a tag when you get here, they were out in most areas by openning day last year.

Go ahead and put in for a buck tag and an additional doe/fawn. If you don't get the buck you'll still get the doe fawn.

If you get a tag and don't get an antilope its because you didn't get out of bed.

If you put in for area 7, west of Newcastle, and get drawn, let my know and I'll tell you where to go, you'll get one, no problem.

As a side not, animals were down in the northern part of the state last year because the snow stayed year around, normally it snows, melts and snows again, not last year, the animals were all pushed south.

This year is different, a mild winter and warm spring. You're gonna have a good crop this fall.

Also our club in Newcastle has "sight in days' at our range, two days before the openning day. If you get in the Newcastle area, stop in our range, I'll be working the range. Look me up.

Kraig, I was hoping youd chime in. I've seen you post on some other threads about speedgoats. I should have clarified that I will be going next season (2013) so, things could very well change either for the better or worse. I am not dead-set on 8/9 and am open to any suggestions you guys may have. I'm not necessarily looking for a hand out or anyone's secret spot, just some insight to better my chances.
Thanks again guys.

8/9 arn't too far from area 7, its just I know area 7, it has tons of goverment land, plus private area's open to walk in hunts.

Like I said if you dicide on area 7, let me know. I can get you on some antelope.

I can also put you on some Pdogs if you get board or want a break.

As Kraig said the area around Newcastle has been good to us the 2 x I have been there. We hunted all public land and just opted for lots of hiking to get off the beaten path. Lots of good opportunity and we always only hunted public land. 3 of us have left with good bucks both trips and some mule deer also. We found some decent pockets whitetails but keyed on antelope. Each trip was a week hunting with the majority of time spent walking/glassing but it payed off.

I hunted Unit 9 two years ago and had good luck. There wasn't a lot of public land but there was more than enough walk in ranch access (it's a state program where ranchers allow hunters on their land...no cost to the hunters, I believe the landowner get's a payment for each tag turned in). Not the biggest animals, but we could have tagged out the first morning if we hadn't been a bit picky.

I put in for Unit 7 this year and have 9 as a backup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I believe the landowner get's a payment for each tag turned in) </div></div>

$16/tag or at least that's what it was 2 years ago.

If you decide to hunt in the Walk In Area, I'd recommend getting some additional doe/fawn tags and fill them on private land.

The critters are hard on hay fields and ranchers want them thinned out.

As a side benifit, young ones are tasty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you decide to hunt in the Walk In Area, I'd recommend getting some additional doe/fawn tags and fill them on private land.

The critters are hard on hay fields and ranchers want them thinned out.

As a side benifit, young ones are tasty. </div></div>

That is about as good advice as you'll ever get. We only had one doe/fawn tag each and filled them right in the middle of the hay field on on rancher's place. Coulda filled 10 tags easily. And they definitely tasted good.
Ranchers were really friendly on the walk in areas, it was a pleasure to meet them and to be able to hunt on their land. It's a great program.

A little off topic. When you go antelope hunting, buy a doe/fawn tag right off, say the first day.

Go find a young fawn, shoot it, let it cool over night, then cut it into little bitty steaks (cut against the grain). Fill a bowl with flour and lots of pepper, roll the your little steaks in the flour/pepper mixture.

Deep fry them. Cut up and fry some 'taters, make some biscuits, then eat yourself sick. Wait a couple hours, and eat yourself sick again. Don't forget the boiled coffee to wash it down.

Then spread you blanket and sleep under the stars listening to coyotes. When you get up, warm up your antelope steak and 'taters for breakfast.

Then start your anetlope hunt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A little off topic. When you go antelope hunting, buy a doe/fawn tag right off, say the first day.

Go find a young fawn, shoot it, let it cool over night, then cut it into little bitty steaks (cut against the grain). Fill a bowl with flour and lots of pepper, roll the your little steaks in the flour/pepper mixture.

Deep fry them. Cut up and fry some 'taters, make some biscuits, then eat yourself sick. Wait a couple hours, and eat yourself sick again. Don't forget the boiled coffee to wash it down.

Then spread you blanket and sleep under the stars listening to coyotes. When you get up, warm up your antelope steak and 'taters for breakfast.

Then start your anetlope hunt. </div></div>

I gotta say, nothing sounds more enjoyable right now...

I look forward to enjoying some antelope opportunities in your state this fall. From the guy I was talking with today out there, I'm sure there will be a burn ban when I'm out there this Fall, but I can still use my little Weber propane for cooking, and I bet I can cook up some fine antelope on that puppy.

Here is a picture of some muley chops on the last day of my ND hunt last season. I shot the deer second day of the hunt and we hung him in a tree for a few days before we put him on ice. The last night was kind of a celebration for me, while the others were out hunting I stayed back to prepare some grub. I don't know if it was the hanging in a tree for a few days or what, but that deer has been some of the best eating venison I've ever had.

IMG_0616.jpg

Hope to share the same experience with some Wyo antelope....And I intend to buy a doe tag as well, if possible.

Sept can't come soon enough!!!!!!

I hunt area 9 for goats.

If you want that area, plan on being here for the latter part fo the season (out of staters shoot everything that moves the first two weeks) and I can also put you on a goat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TLong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn good advice guys. Hey Fisky, how well do you like that havalon? </div></div>

I really like it. The knife in that picture was actually a friends. That was the first time I had used it. Initial impressions were cheap and flimsy, but sharp. Once I got home we used it on final prep of the meat and it grew on me even more. I bought one but didn't get a chance to test it out on anymore deer last year (wanted to go start to finish with the Havalon and see how it held up) I used it on oodles of ducks and geese and it is by far my favorite knife for that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skg_Mre_Lght</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hunt area 9 for goats.

If you want that area, plan on being here for the latter part fo the season (out of staters shoot everything that moves the first two weeks) and I can also put you on a goat. </div></div>

How are the archery seasons for pressure???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are the archery seasons for pressure???</div></div>

Archery hunters have a special season prior to us rifle shooters turning the praires into a war zone. I doubt there is much pressure.

Antelope would be perfectly safe if I was to hit the field with a bow, I couldn't hit the ground with one of those suckers.

I'm interested in this too, so this thread is very helpful.

howdy fellas i travel from gillette to south of wright every day for my work and just came back from up north by spotted horse on a turkey hunt today and i saw alot of antelope out in these areas.they all looked to be pretty healthy and looked to be plenty around on a side note have saw shit piles of muley does out around our area.hey tlong count me in if you need any help while your in our neck of the woods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at area 7, plenty of government land and private walk in areas.

Don't count on buying a tag when you get here, they were out in most areas by openning day last year.

Go ahead and put in for a buck tag and an additional doe/fawn. If you don't get the buck you'll still get the doe fawn.

If you get a tag and don't get an antilope its because you didn't get out of bed.

If you put in for area 7, west of Newcastle, and get drawn, let my know and I'll tell you where to go, you'll get one, no problem.

As a side not, animals were down in the northern part of the state last year because the snow stayed year around, normally it snows, melts and snows again, not last year, the animals were all pushed south.

This year is different, a mild winter and warm spring. You're gonna have a good crop this fall.

Also our club in Newcastle has "sight in days' at our range, two days before the openning day. If you get in the Newcastle area, stop in our range, I'll be working the range. Look me up.

</div></div>

Hi Kraig,

I'll be hunting in your area this Fall. Would you mind sharing the name of your club? I've been researching places where I can sight in after I arrive (flying in).

Thanks!

Eric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Kraig,

I'll be hunting in your area this Fall. Would you mind sharing the name of your club? I've been researching places where I can sight in after I arrive (flying in).</div></div>

Weston County Sportsman's club. We have sight in days the two days before the season openner. That should be Sept 29-30th this year. The range is right in town, under the big yellow water tank on Divide Road. No problem finding it.

I'll be working the range one or both days, (depends on granddaughter's vollyball games, I wont miss one of those).

You hunting from a Motel or sleeping on the prarie???

Kraig, I plan on sleeping under the stars if I'm lucky. Are there any restrictions on open fires on BLM land / State land, provided on rainfall/conditions?

Of course I can't tell you what it will be like in Oct, but you really have to be careful with fires in that grass.

I use a little MSR Stove. Be sure to have a shovel to clear out a spot, even if you use a little stove.

Be prepared for some star gazing and tune in for howling coyotes.

Here is my set up for Antelope hunting.

antelope%20camp.jpg