• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Wyoming Antelope

Remsen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2006
Northern California (occupied)
Just got back from a Wyoming antelope hunt and had some success. More in the dinkalicious side but a satisfying hunt nonetheless. I took the smaller one with my GAP Rock and was pretty impressed with how easy it was to lug around that heavy rifle (15+ lbs with scope). The shot was a bit under 300 yards. A pure hunting rifle is certainly easier to carry but I really liked having the stability of that AICS and I think I'm going to start bringing it on hunts more often.

IMG_1941.jpg

Re: Wyoming Antelope

Good pic, and nice Ingram's....

No hero shot with the rifle and pronghorn together?

Nice goat. I have never seen a field dressing job quite like that but, I guess whatever works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthMode223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice goat. I have never seen a field dressing job quite like that but, I guess whatever works.</div></div>

+1

Sorry, I don't have a shot of me or the rifle with the goat. The field dressing was something that I did based on my hunting buddy's recommendation. Instead of the typical split down the middle that I'm used to doing he cuts a circle of the skin going around the edge of the ribs and all the way around to just above the animal's nutsack, and then pulls the entire piece of pelt off to get easy access to the guts. He's always insisted it was a better way, so since I was with him this hunt I figured I'd let him walk me through his method. It doesn't look pretty but it actually works fairly well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where at in wyoming did you do your hunt </div></div>

We were in Unit 9 and did most of the hunting in the walk in areas northeast of Lusk.

Go with the rifle you feel most comfortable with. even if it is +15lbs. No reason not to use equipment that you dont feel best with.

Nice antelope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badred6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with the rifle you feel most comfortable with. even if it is +15lbs. No reason not to use equipment that you dont feel best with.

</div></div>

+1 I always take the gun I am best with, whether it weigh 8 or 18 pounds.

Congrats!
That is one n. American critter that I have wanted to prusue for eyars! was your hunt on public land?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btrapr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats!
That is one n. American critter that I have wanted to prusue for eyars! was your hunt on public land?

</div></div>
All public land. Wyoming has a pretty good system...they make arrangements with some privately owned ranches and set up "walk in" areas. All you have to do is get a license for the unit and then you can go onto any of the walk in ranches with no additional fees or discussions. They map out the various ranches and put pretty obvious signs up. It's not trophy hunting by any stretch, but it's great access and lots of good animals.