• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Wyoming Black Bear!!

psinclair

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2008
Glasgow, Montana
mypicsofWY015.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

I cant seem to find a brown one this spring....grin!! Cant pass one this size.

Shot him on June 3rd. Used my Lightweight GAP .308 again. The shot was 530 meters with a 155gr scenar. The bullet went completely through and left a 1" exit hole. He went about 40 meters after the hit before piling up.

Re: Wyoming Black Bear!!

Congratulations. And with a 308 and a match bullet? Imagine that.
smile.gif

Congratulations to you, Pat! Too bad you had to come all the way to WY to get a big one!
grin.gif

I am assuming it has to be spot and stalk with a shot like that. One of these days I will wonder out and look for one but I know about as much about bear hunting as I do hair dressing.

Are all your hunts DIY? Really Really nice Bear!

Dang! That's a big bear! Would love to hear some stats. Especially how much that bad boy weighed.

thats quite the brute. i am guessing 450/500lbs. thats a hell of a skull for the mantle. nice job.

Wow Pat....nice looking bear. Did you have to pack him far to the road?

Ya, he had to pack it 6 miles! What's wrong with him?

IMG_1231.jpg

First crossing...to get to the dead bear.
IMG_1256.jpg

second crossing to get back to camp that night...
IMG_1306.jpg

Packing it out the next day....to avoid crossing the creek again we came in from a different way...12 miles round trip....worth every step!!

Looks like you earned that bear. What altitude did you shoot him at?

Pat, You've taken this bear hunting stuff to a whole nother level!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like you earned that bear. What altitude did you shoot him at?
</div></div>

7500 feet

What a handsome (and enormous) animal! Congratulations on your fine trophy. Can I ask where you bagged him? Looks a little like the Absarokas, but I haven't spent enough time in the mountains west of here (Sheridan) to recognize them from the photos you've posted.

Scott, Thanks! Did you ever make out to look for that giant brown one from last fall? If you dont mind, I'd like another look at that bad boy!! Pics?

Nope... over 20 miles of snow 3 to 5 feet deep still. Won't be close to getting to where he was for a bit. We had 5" of new snow at 6000 feet on Sat.

50 gal bait barrel behind the bear for reference !

Camino_bear_037.jpg

Camino_bear_036.jpg

Camino_bear_031.jpg

Camino_bear_009.jpg

Looks like quite a pack trip there Pat...crossing a creek in the dark with a full pack would be a good way to get wet I'm thinking.
smile.gif

You the man Pat! Very nice work there, great animal and it looks like an even better adventure.