• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Wyoming Elk Hunt, 178AMAX or something else

Tx_Flyboy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2011
Houston, Tx
Like topic says, I've got an upcoming Elk hunt in Wyoming.

I have an ton of 178AMAX bullets. These bullets shoot very well out of my 20" LR-308.

Would y'all recommend a more fancy (read bonded or lead-free copper) bullet a la partition, Barnes TTSX, et al or just roll with the AMAX?

I have only shot the AMAX at a sheep, and it dropped where it stood. However, i don't know how it will do on Elk...i've read of bullet failures with the AMAX, but the stories are almost always with the ppl shooting magnums...maybe the AMAX is ok at 308 velocities?

Re: Wyoming Elk Hunt, 178AMAX or something else

The bullet should do fine. I would not try to put it thru the shoulders like alot of people do, but a good behind the shoulder vital shot should be no problem. I'm a Berger shooter. I love them. However, I have used some of the Barnes TTSX bullets and they are wonderful on game. Almost not fragmentation and a perfect "star" on the front with a nice base still intact driving it thru.

The two elk I shot in Wyoming were with my .308. I was using the cheap 165 grain Speer soft points. Absolutely nothing fancy. One was through the heart lung area, the other through the shoulder. Both bullets went straight through. The one through the shoulder dropped the elk in her tracks as if one of God's Old Testament angels struck her down with a fiery sword. You should be fine either way.

It is a great bullet for elk. I personally shoot elk with a Burger vld but the AMAX is a solid performer on elk.

jesus another will an amax work to kill an animal thread.will the 178 amax kill anything?yes it will if you throw it hard enough!!!!!

Thanks for the responses everyone.

motodog, i like ur enthusiasm...of course the AMAX will kill...i have experience with it.

The question that i didn't state that some may understand is "what if the bullet impacts say the shoulder of the animal because of wind drift? Will the bullet stay together or fragment without penetrating deep enough to reach vitals?

The problem is:
1. AMAX is a softly constructed bullet. Its performance when shot place is less optimal is still largely unknown.
2. Shots at Elk will vary from 100yards to 600yards (my personal comfort level).
3. Wind will be a big factor as we are hunting at high elevations around mountainous terrain...that means that the bullet may deflect more than anticipated, hitting major bones that one would obviously not purposely not aim for...will bullet stay together if this is the case?

The points above were essentially the crux of my concerns when i asked the question.

sorry to be a smart ass when i posted as i was listening to the dolts have a debate on tv.i would not be afraid to shoot an elk at any distance with a 178 amax.my cow last year was a perfect 169 yrd shot but to her vitals not shoulder.bang flop.my thoughts on this whole thing are like people asking if a 300wsm is good for deer.i personaly believe that you should use whatever you are comfortable with and have practice with.alot of people i know have dropped elk with a 243 win and 85grn barnes ttsxb.there is one mounted at tnt guns in gillette wy.i think to many people spend to much time worrying about caliber and bullet combos when they should spend that time shooting.not to say your a lousy shot but you are from texas after all... just playin.