• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wyoming spring bear hunt bullet choices

Hecouldgoalltheway

Your mom's favorite shit poster
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 11, 2009
    West TN
    The bear pit seems like the right spot for this.

Headed out to Wyoming for the May 15th spring bear opener. I've got a few questions:

1. I know there is a mountain of snow up there right now. Do you Wyoming folks think that enough of it will thaw in time to hunt them that first week?

2. 300 Wsm, 20" 1-10 barrel. Talk to me about what ranges I can reasonably expect to have opportunities at. I shoot prs and shoot regularly out to 1,200y, but I've been out that way and I know that wind is the real issue, so what is considered reasonable out there? I an asking because I have a decent selection of bullets available, and have time to get something else if I need to, so before I start loading ammo for this trip, look at the picture of what I already have please and let me know what you would do. Thanks fellas.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230423_100654_ColorNote.jpg
      Screenshot_20230423_100654_ColorNote.jpg
      181.2 KB · Views: 54
    Reactions: 338dude

Headed out to Wyoming for the May 15th spring bear opener. I've got a few questions:

1. I know there is a mountain of snow up there right now. Do you Wyoming folks think that enough of it will thaw in time to hunt them that first week?

2. 300 Wsm, 20" 1-10 barrel. Talk to me about what ranges I can reasonably expect to have opportunities at. I shoot prs and shoot regularly out to 1,200y, but I've been out that way and I know that wind is the real issue, so what is considered reasonable out there? I an asking because I have a decent selection of bullets available, and have time to get something else if I need to, so before I start loading ammo for this trip, look at the picture of what I already have please and let me know what you would do. Thanks fellas.
    For hunting, I’m a fan of barnes ttsx pills. Excellent weight retention and penetration. They’re pricey, but you’re not shooting a match worth of them on a hunting trip.

Depends on where, there are still drifts in the red desert. If it’s above 7500 ft, I doubt much will be melted off. 85% of Forrest Service roads are still closed.

+1 Alot depends on how high you are, the locl micro-climates, and also in particular what is north face vs south face etc. When asking for local advice in WY, be sure to check your elevations and plan your trip using Topo maps etc.

FWIW california got hammered, they are at least 3-4 weeks behind on snow melt. CA is going to be worse than WY, but you should ask around after having done some work with your topo maps.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
    +1 Alot depends on how high you are, the locl micro-climates, and also in particular what is north face vs south face etc. When asking for local advice in WY, be sure to check your elevations and plan your trip using Topo maps etc.

FWIW california got hammered, they are at least 3-4 weeks behind on snow melt. CA is going to be worse than WY, but you should ask around after having done some work with your topo maps.

This seems impossible. I thought California was under the worst drought since the jurassic period and the only solution was for everyone to embrace communism?

I honestly didn't even hear about California being hammered by the snow. I knew the northern Rockies were hammered, but had heard nothing about California..

For hunting, I’m a fan of barnes ttsx pills. Excellent weight retention and penetration. They’re pricey, but you’re not shooting a match worth of them on a hunting trip.
    I really like the terminal performance too, but didn't know if I should prioritize bc for a spot and stalk hunt. Copper monos have really impressed me on deer and even coyotes. I'd like to avoid crawling through a bunch of deadfall with a knife in my teeth looking for a wounded bear.

Depends on where, there are still drifts in the red desert. If it’s above 7500 ft, I doubt much will be melted off. 85% of Forrest Service roads are still closed.
    Is there an elevation band where they tend to den, or is it all over the board? I'm going with a buddy who has his guide license, so we can go about anywhere. It's all the same to me, so I don't care where we hunt in the state.

This seems impossible. I thought California was under the worst drought since the jurassic period and the only solution was for everyone to embrace communism?

I honestly didn't even hear about California being hammered by the snow. I knew the northern Rockies were hammered, but had heard nothing about California..
    I think Tahoe had something like 100 feet snowpack. I'm sure a lot of that drifed Bender's way. I took the train from Oakland to Denver in June years back and there was still a LOT of snow.

I think Tahoe had something like 100 feet snowpack. I'm sure a lot of that drifed Bender's way. I took the train from Oakland to Denver in June years back and there was still a LOT of snow.
    I was stationed at Carson for a few years, and I'll never forget crossing the divide on 4th of July weekend and it was snowing. It had been in the 90's in the springs when we left..

I was stationed at Carson for a few years, and I'll never forget crossing the divide on 4th of July weekend and it was snowing. It had been in the 90's in the springs when we left..

Yup nothing like training at Carson in the late spring/ early summer and waking up sleeping in a snow drift....

Yup nothing like training at Carson in the late spring/ early summer and waking up sleeping in a snow drift....
    Years after I left there and was stationed at Campbell, we went back for a 2 week pre-deployment training exercise in April. In that 2 weeks we saw temperatures in the teens and probably a foot of snow, and it also hit almost 90° and we had a whole company black on water, on top of a mountain miles from anything. That was a real mess.

How about training in Hawaii and waking up with an inch of snow on you and watching all your E-1 and 2’s freezing their asses of because they didn’t bring their poncho liners like you told them too……..
    That's the best thing that can happen to a private though. Let them shiver all night long for 72 hours and they will pay attention to the weather, and never ever leave that woobie at home again, no matter what that packing list says. I still drive around with mine in my truck..

Reactions: Bender and Maggot
    Yeah, I live in NW Montana in a tent at a logging site. Woke up 28 June with a couple inches. The hounds had gotten into a hollow log and their heat made it steam. wish I had a photo.

Pretty sure all the hunting seasons were just canceled due to winter kill and road closures…. We’re optimistic there will be hunting opportunities in the next 3-4 years. I heard Utah is having great early season hunting.

Pretty sure all the hunting seasons were just canceled due to winter kill and road closures…. We’re optimistic there will be hunting opportunities in the next 3-4 years. I heard Utah is having great early season hunting.
    I'm coming there to break your bear record. The bear I intend to kill will be blonde and weigh double the current state record. It will have 250lbs of elk backstrap in its stomach when I kill it. I'll probably leave some local girls pregnant and tip none of the waitresses. Everywhere I eat, I'm leaving the lid barely on the salt shaker, so when you grab it, bam, ruined food. Then I'm taking your mother Dorothy Mantooth out for a really nice steak dinner and never calling her again!

I'm coming there to break your bear record. The bear I intend to kill will be blonde and weigh double the current state record. It will have 250lbs of elk backstrap in its stomach when I kill it. I'll probably leave some local girls pregnant and tip none of the waitresses. Everywhere I eat, I'm leaving the lid barely on the salt shaker, so when you grab it, bam, ruined food. Then I'm taking your mother Dorothy Mantooth out for a really nice steak dinner and never calling her again!

anchorman.gif

• Haha
    When and where are you planning on hunting?
    I should be out there on the 14th, and we are in the planning phase. My buddy lives in Cheyenne, but we are willing to drive anywhere in the state to hunt. He's obviously worried about the snow keeping them in the dens and ruining the hunt. He's only been out there for a few years, so he's kinda new to this situation. I would sincerely appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Yep, Utah sounds like a perfect fit

• Haha

We got hammered!!!!!! It rained so much my backyard was a swamp. Check out Lake Tulare

• Wow
    • Wow
    I should elaborate and let you decide.

Winter is 8 months of the year with a county population of less than 10k souls (Pre-winter counts, we won't know the real ones until August when the snow/floods subside). Local population is 3 to 1 men to women so we can guarantee sex, just can't guarantee how good it is. Some of these guys have been stove up for a long long time and getting to play the man role might not be an option. Bears won't be very big as hibernation has been so long, but I suppose if you find the opening you can dig it out and see how many are in the den. Their hides will be loose though! I-80 has been closed more than it has been open so the restaurant quality food is pretty poor - also no salt has been arriving as the trucks can't get through. Mom's passed on due to Covid but there is one 80 something year old in town who is supposed to be a pretty hot date, schedule early cause she has 3-4 dates per hour....

Meanwhile in Utah the snow falls like mana from heaven and melts as soon as it hits the ground. Salt is plentiful as it comes straight from the dry lake bed. Women are bountiful and have a larger sphere of influence than 3 layers of their own kin.

Your choice, I'm just trying to help you with expectations.

Ok now to be serious. 300 WSM is plenty of gun and spring bear are not that tough. I would be more concerned about your timing as far as being able to get into the area. I assume you are hunting over bait? Can be pretty tough to find bears otherwise in the spring. In all seriousness I doubt you would have a shot longer than 200 yards, more likely 100ish. My buddy got one last year with a 32 Special lever action at about 45 yards. It was more difficult getting onto the bear. This winter has been much harsher so that will change this dramatically. You're going to want a lot of updates or spend a lot of time in field.

Ok now to be serious. 300 WSM is plenty of gun and spring bear are not that tough. I would be more concerned about your timing as far as being able to get into the area. I assume you are hunting over bait? Can be pretty tough to find bears otherwise in the spring. In all seriousness I doubt you would have a shot longer than 200 yards, more likely 100ish. My buddy got one last year with a 32 Special lever action at about 45 yards. It was more difficult getting onto the bear. This winter has been much harsher so that will change this dramatically. You're going to want a lot of updates or spend a lot of time in field.
    No plans for bait, just planning to spot and stalk. Are they really that hard to find? We won't be opposed to burning up some boot leather.

No plans for bait, just planning to spot and stalk. Are they really that hard to find? We won't be opposed to burning up some boot leather.
    All the guys here hunt over bait, so I'm not sure how that would go. Without bait I would want to be certain the snow was mostly gone and the bears would be more active. You're probably hunting more open country and longer shots could be more common. Hopefully your buddy has some experience and will know how to hunt the area. You'll see some beautiful country, make sure you're prepared for colder weather and rain with possible snow.

All the guys here hunt over bait, so I'm not sure how that would go. Without bait I would want to be certain the snow was mostly gone and the bears would be more active. You're probably hunting more open country and longer shots could be more common. Hopefully your buddy has some experience and will know how to hunt the area. You'll see some beautiful country, make sure you're prepared for colder weather and rain with possible snow.
    Thank you sir. Is there a particular quadrant of the state where you might suggest we focus our recon given these odd conditions? I keep saying that we should just hunt the line at yellowstone Park, but my buddy keeps talking about "game wardens" or whatever. He's soft

I wouldn’t advise near Yellowstone actually, the number of grizzly is so high I bet the black bear numbers are very low. The past couple of years have had a lot of grizzly attacks on hunters. I don’t bear hunt so I’m no help either as most of the spring bear hunts are guided and over bait. It’s going to sound odd but I would probably hunt north central to north east parts of the state as it is not as rough country as the whole western side is. I suppose you could try your luck on the far west border with Idaho but there are a lot of outfitters and they are very territorial. If your buddy knows the local area and has some kind of insight it might be the best chance for spot and stalk.

I can actually hook you up with an outfitter if you decide to go that route. They have all the bait sites gathered up anyways.

I can actually hook you up with an outfitter if you decide to go that route. They have all the bait sites gathered up anyways.

I appreciate that offer sir, but this is more of a "kick around the mountains with an old army buddy" trip than anything. That's kinda why the snow doesn't bother me too bad. If the bears aren't out and about, we will just throw down the foxpro and try to knock out some coyotes. I fully understand why outfitters charge as much as they do, and they are just making a living, but I am not yet at the point where I can make myself spend thousands of dollars with an outfitter, and I don't mean financially. I do pretty well financially, but mentally, it's hard for me to imagine paying someone for a hunt when I am young and fit enough to run the mountains for a week without help.

He's obviously worried about the snow keeping them in the dens
    In the last 30 years of spring bear hunting, I have noticed bears just kind of come out when they come out. It varies by bear. Shit, I saw one snowmobiling one time in the middle of February. The biggest hassle if there is alot of snow is getting to where they may or may not be. The level of difficulty and exertion goes up significantly if you have to put any miles on via boots.

All of those bullets you listed will work for bears, they aren't all that tough in my experience.

I'm leaving illegitimate children all over your state.

You're going have a generation of kids that somehow magically know how to sing "rocky top" from birth.
    Geez, you’re from Tennessee too? Shit, bears are like coons there, all over the ticking place.

And just so you know, we have a beautiful woman hiding behind every tree in Wyoming. When you get here, you’ll get it.

• Haha
    168 ttsx out of what you have listed.

Issues with a bear is long hair and usually fat plugging up a wound so skimpy blood trail if it comes to that.

If you have to shoot a bear over 300 yards it’s because you didn’t want to take the time to get closer. Keep the wind right, be reasonably quiet and you can generally work in quite close.

Bears don’t have very big bones just be aware that the hair makes them look bigger/deeper than they are. Study anatomy pics a bit if you haven’t hunted them before.

Good luck

168 ttsx out of what you have listed.

Issues with a bear is long hair and usually fat plugging up a wound so skimpy blood trail if it comes to that.

If you have to shoot a bear over 300 yards it’s because you didn’t want to take the time to get closer. Keep the wind right, be reasonably quiet and you can generally work in quite close.

Bears don’t have very big bones just be aware that the hair makes them look bigger/deeper than they are. Study anatomy pics a bit if you haven’t hunted them before.

Good luck
    Thank you sir. I appreciate the advice.

If you’re hunting by yourself and don’t have any experience judging bear size definitely watch videos before going. Bears are a pain to judge correctly.

If the ears look big…. It’s a little bear.

It amazes me how so many resident hunters are opposed to non-resident licenses. The out of state hunters pump millions of dollars into the state economy. Furthermore, non-residents do more to sustain big game management than all of the resident hunters combined. A little research and education would cure a ton of ignorance on the subject. BTW, I was born and raised in Wyoming, and my relatives were here before Wyoming gained statehood.