• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Wyoming's Proposed SF0103 & State Tag Limits Generally

Rando42

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2020
Wyoming
Here's a link to the proposed bill in Wyoming's legislature.

Are there any states that make a distinction between the number of tags allowed for federal lands and the number of tags allowed for private or state-owned lands? If not, why not? If I'm a federal taxpayer, then it seems like I should be allowed the same opportunity to hunt and enjoy federal lands.

Reactions: RTH1800
First off, I am a old fart 3rd generation Wyoming hunter. The short answer to the OP's question is the state of Wyoming legally owns all of the game residing in the state no matter the land ownership. SF0103 is a bill proposed by folks who have no clue about economics. At present, 20% of Wyoming hunting licenses go to non-resident hunters. Those licenses comprise 80% of the Game and Fish funding. Still, there are a huge number of resident hunters that want more licenses to go to the residents. In turn, let's hose the ever living shit out of the nonresidents that have provided resident hunters with a free ride for decades. Then there is the economic impact to the hospitality, outfitting, etc. industries if we cut the resident license quota. To understand the mentality, you need to understand that the State of Wyoming has been riding for free on the coat tails of the mineral extraction industries since 1975. Get the picture?

That’s too bad, never underestimate the ability of the government to kill the golden goose.
Out here in Kali we legalized weed and there’s more illegal grows than before.
I still want to try antelope hunting in Wyoming.

First off, I am a old fart 3rd generation Wyoming hunter. The short answer to the OP's question is the state of Wyoming legally owns all of the game residing in the state no matter the land ownership. SF0103 is a bill proposed by folks who have no clue about economics. At present, 20% of Wyoming hunting licenses go to non-resident hunters. Those licenses comprise 80% of the Game and Fish funding. Still, there are a huge number of resident hunters that want more licenses to go to the residents. In turn, let's hose the ever living shit out of the nonresidents that have provided resident hunters with a free ride for decades. Then there is the economic impact to the hospitality, outfitting, etc. industries if we cut the resident license quota. To understand the mentality, you need to understand that the State of Wyoming has been riding for free on the coat tails of the mineral extraction industries since 1975. Get the picture?
The neighbors to the west pulled a similar stunt for 21.
Non res tags were gone in our preferred archery region on the day they issued.
Halved tag numbers and zero info received made our options much different this year.

R

The non resident on federal land issue could easily be solved in one year. File a racial discrimination lawsuit and get a TRO to shut down all hunting on federal land until it’s resolved. Not many blacks live in Wy and thus they are restricted from access to federal property. Just like that it ends.

If not, just leave it all closed.

Its pretty lame especially since they're just jacking the fees through the roof to make up for the reduction in NR tags.
It's getting to be so damn expensive that I refuse to even hunt in rip off states like MT anymore.
I will say though, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Idaho started catering to its residents a little more instead of being dirty money grubers.

Reactions: Rando42
Here's a link to the proposed bill in Wyoming's legislature.

Are there any states that make a distinction between the number of tags allowed for federal lands and the number of tags allowed for private or state-owned lands? If not, why not? If I'm a federal taxpayer, then it seems like I should be allowed the same opportunity to hunt and enjoy federal lands.
The reason is because the feds delegated wildlife conservation to the states. While there is a US fish and Wildlife department, the governing body for hunting in your state is the state itself. Being a federal taxpayer has nothing to do with it, but I see your point.

Looks like this is the WY legislature's second attempt at it. The first try, SF0094, was shot down 28 to 1. It's pretty stupid to raise NR fees w/o an in kind raise to residents. Gotta pay to play. At least WY isn't as stingy with NR tags as NM . . . only 6% go to NRs.