• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

X Bolt Question

jpop8807

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Nov 16, 2022
    Pueblo, CO
    In my last year in the army I had a buddy who had gotten out and was hurting for money. Long story short, I agreed to buy his Browning X Bolt 7MM Mag, a Leupold ( I forgot the model hunting style simple crosshairs), a fake harris bipod, and an ammo can of the blue box federal soft points for 1500. I shot it once it's still sitting in my gun safe. He was a hunter I am not one (nothing against it just never learned and don't have the time for hunting with my schedule). Most of my funds are going to become a better shooter, and flight school, but looking at it today I was thinking is there anything I can do with it? I called my smith he gave me some ideas.

1. Sell it and try to make your money back
    2. Something about it being a belted magnum and converting it into 300wm if I wanted to go that route for extreme long range stuff (more precision ammo available)
    3. Learn how to reload and make my own rounds for it ( I can only find hunting ammo factory that is)

Then I came across this

I got me thinking non of my friends have a 7mm but ballistically research wise it seems like comparing 6.5 to .308 going from 7mm mag to 300wm. 7 seems to shoot flatter, just doesn't have the hit of the 300. I've never had a browning, the action seems smooth very very smooth compared to my Howa. The aftermarket doesn't seem that big, but McMillian seems to make stocks for them. The only thing would be a different barrel. I believe the base gun I have is the browning xbolt composite stalker. Sorry for the ungodly long post. Any advice of what you would do with it? He was a good friend of mine when he was still around so part of me feels like I want to keep it and do something with it.

My experience from being gifted an A-bolt .270win, inheriting my dad’s BAR 30.06 and my son having a X-bolt .270wsm is they are decent hunting rifles but due to very little aftermarket support that’s about it. I was able to pick up a McMillan Game Warden stock here on the classified for my son’s X-bolt which was a great upgrade since he actually does quite a bit of hunting, but me holding on to the other two are pretty much for sentimental reasons.

So yeah, since you don’t hunt or foresee doing so, outside of any warm fuzzies that rifle generates I’d probably give spife’s suggestion above some consideration.

Reactions: jpop8807
    My experience from being gifted an A-bolt .270win, inheriting my dad’s BAR 30.06 and my son having a X-bolt .270wsm is they are decent hunting rifles but due to very little aftermarket support that’s about it. I was able to pick up a McMillan Game Warden stock here on the classified for my son’s X-bolt which was a great upgrade since he actually does quite a bit of hunting, but me holding on to the other two are pretty much for sentimental reasons.

So yeah, since you don’t hunt or foresee doing so, outside of any warm fuzzies that rifle generates I’d probably give spife’s suggestion above some consideration.
    That's what I'm thinking. I've had a few offers but no one ever came through. That's what let me down that rabbit hole. Do you think asking 1500 for the xbolt leupold probably around 100-150 rnds of 7mm mag is a fair asking price? I know one of the big gun stores here does consignment type stuff for 40 bucks. I figured if I don't have luck selling then pursue that rabbit hole. So far it shoots rather well for using the soft points. That's pretty much it for me is the warm and fuzzies, I've never owned a 7mm so I at first figured hey another caliber to add to the stable.

Sell it back to the buddy? Lots of threads about regretting selling some firearm or another. This might be one of those cases. $40 for consignment fee seams reasonable.

Sell it back to the buddy? Lots of threads about regretting selling some firearm or another. This might be one of those cases. $40 for consignment fee seams reasonable.
    That's not a bad idea I think he's moving back to Colorado. He initially got into a really bad depressed alcohol/cocaine-induced state after he got out of the army and moved to Cali to be with his family to clean himself up. He's done it now competing in BJJ. He mainly sold the guns because he didn't think he would be doing much Elk hunting in San Deigo, but with him coming back now that his life is in order not a bad idea at all.

As a FORMER x-bolt owner, just sell it. The aftermarket sucks and they are expensive to rebarrel. I had an x-bolt in 26 nosler, after a couple hundred rounds I realized my mistake. Took my loss and learned my lesson.

As a FORMER x-bolt owner, just sell it. The aftermarket sucks and they are expensive to rebarrel. I had an x-bolt in 26 nosler, after a couple hundred rounds I realized my mistake. Took my loss and learned my lesson.
    Dropping it off for consignment this weekend. They said I should be able to get my money back 1500 for xbolt, leupold, 120rnds, carrying bag (cheap one), fake harris bipod. They said I should be able to get that back. We'll see. If I have to take a loss, whats the lowest you'd go?

Brownings remind me of handling a Tikka, only with a crap stock trigger, no good aftermarket two-stage triggers or chassis (that I know of, anyway).

I still irrationally want a Browning white gold medallion in some caliber lol. Pretty.

Well update on the x-bolt it still hasn't sold lol. Been on consignment since the beginning of feb. Started at 1700 which is what they recommended. It turns out there was close to 220 rounds of 7mm mag powershok. They made me count every round with them. They said it was about 500$ in ammo, leupold freedom, browning xbolt 7mm mag composite hunter. I told them to call me if they get any lower offers. Nothing in almost 5 months. What do you recommend I do with the thing? They said I have one more month or I have to pay another 40 bucks for a stocking fee. I don't hunt.

Brownings remind me of handling a Tikka, only with a crap stock trigger, no good aftermarket two-stage triggers or chassis (that I know of, anyway).

I still irrationally want a Browning white gold medallion in some caliber lol. Pretty.
    I've had been looking before putting it on consignment. Mcmillan apparently makes a stock but I'm not sure if I want to spend McMillian money on a gun that doesn't have aftermarket barrel options, or being 7mm mag there seems to be no precision ammo. I don't know shit about reloading.

Not sure why everyone knocks Browning. They are expensive in my opinion, the reason I only have two.

Selling your x bolt 7mm mag should not be an issue. Get serious and advertise in local papers, post it in stores and on forums. I think it's a great price for the gun and accessories. But don't rely on consignment. You only need to get the gun in front of the right people. Takes a bit of effort but it will sell. Some patience is also a virtue.

i just purchased a browning x-bolt pro 6.5prc. nice rifle its costly,will change out trigger spring.mounted a vortex razor genll 3x18x50.will be useing it for long-range shooting,maybe hunting. good luck with your 7mm sell

these are both suspicious 1st/2nd posts.

no...an xbolt isn't an expensive rifle. nor is it desirable

good necro considering OP hasn't been on since May

Reactions: basscat52
    these are both suspicious 1st/2nd posts.

no...an xbolt isn't an expensive rifle. nor is it desirable

good necro considering OP hasn't been on since May
    You are right an x bolt rifle is not the most expensive of Browning rifles. Expensive is a subjective term in this case and is determined by ones financial status at the time of purchase. At this moment an xbolt would be expensive to me as I am currently unemployed due to injury.

However, I do have two Abolts. I have carried one of them for 25 years. The other only a couple years. They are fine rifles, I like the stock trigger on mine, no need to change out the spring, I also like the stock as it fits and wood seems more comfortable and has a warmer feeling than composite. I cannot fault the accuracy as it has always been sub MOA right out of the box until recently. Unfortunately I have shot out the barrel and rather than chase the lands am having it rebarreled. Despite internet rhetoric I have had no issues finding finding a gunsmith to do the job at a reasonable price. I am in fact packaging for shipment this afternoon.

Suspicious: having the belief or impression that someone is involved in an illegal or dishonest activity. This is Ludicrous in my opinion. I am not trying to sell something and have no interest in the transaction other than offering advice. OP has not been on since May. So what?

Finally, as to being undesirable, you are wrong browning makes excellent rifles. While I am not into the xbolt, preferring the A bolt the ones I have shot shoot just fine. I respect your opinion but find it unacceptable when presented as fact.

Reactions: basscat52
    You are right an x bolt rifle is not the most expensive of Browning rifles. Expensive is a subjective term in this case and is determined by ones financial status at the time of purchase. At this moment an xbolt would be expensive to me as I am currently unemployed due to injury.

However, I do have two Abolts. I have carried one of them for 25 years. The other only a couple years. They are fine rifles, I like the stock trigger on mine, no need to change out the spring, I also like the stock as it fits and wood seems more comfortable and has a warmer feeling than composite. I cannot fault the accuracy as it has always been sub MOA right out of the box until recently. Unfortunately I have shot out the barrel and rather than chase the lands am having it rebarreled. Despite internet rhetoric I have had no issues finding finding a gunsmith to do the job at a reasonable price. I am in fact packaging for shipment this afternoon.

Suspicious: having the belief or impression that someone is involved in an illegal or dishonest activity. This is Ludicrous in my opinion. I am not trying to sell something and have no interest in the transaction other than offering advice. OP has not been on since May. So what?

Finally, as to being undesirable, you are wrong browning makes excellent rifles. While I am not into the xbolt, preferring the A bolt the ones I have shot shoot just fine. I respect your opinion but find it unacceptable when presented as fact.
    you're on the Hide. expensive isn't very subjective here.

your injury and unemployment is unfortunate.

cool. enjoy the rebarrel. i'll wait for the borescope thread.

suspicious: having or showing a cautious distrust of someone or something. you picked the 3rd definition wtf terrible choice. and suspicious as in there's a bunch of shit browning posts recently from 'new' members hyping up guns that basically no one here cares about

it is fact. they're cheap rifles and not very desirable when you consider this is the Hide...and not LRH or some other dumb fudd forum