• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

X-Caliber barrels are awesome

Ape_Factory

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 23, 2020
San Antonio, Texas
Ever have one of those range days where everything went right? I feel like they've been few and far between lately and after the absolute shit show I had with another barrel maker that took months to resolve, I have to say the 223 Wylde barrel X-Caliber made for me is just fantastic. Absolutely puts a smile on my face and it's like hitting the easy button. Nothing special, Wylde chamber, 16" 1:7 twist HBAR fluted profile with 5/8x24 threaded end. No cryo or other special treatments. I paid an extra $100 to rush it but thanks to the sale the barrel itself was $400 and worth every penny. The rest of the gun is self-assembled, V-Seven GI Seven upper (their cheapest one), ADM lower, Normal buffer tube setup and an RCA lightweight BCG. It was an interference fit with the V-Seven upper.

I knew the barrel was sub-MOA from the get go but I did a little experiment today changing scopes and taking two different hand loads that'd I'd done for a completely different barrel. The first was a Nosler 52 grain custom competition and a Hornady 60 grain V-Max. The Noslers were a bulk "2nd's" I'd purchased of of GunBroker back in 2018. Instead of using the 1-8 Burris I usually have on the rifle, I stripped the 3-18 Meopta6 off my 308 gas gun. I suspected the 1-8X was holding me back a bit from producing really tight groupings and I think I was right. Took four rounds to zero it in using some crappy Fiocchi factory-loaded ammo and I started with a squeaky clean barrel. Can't say enough good stuff about the Meopta. Seriously overlooked scope.

I slapped the first magazine in and I did a 10-shot group with the Noslers that I could cover with a nickel (@100 yards). The best part is this is one of the first finalized hand loads I ever did years ago and was very new to reloading. I hand the same with the Hornady V-Max which is not exactly a precision bullet. Those were my first "bulk" load using a Dillon 750. Looking at the Nosler group, honestly, any variation was down to the shooter. Just me, bipod and a rear bag. Trigger is a Velocity with a 4lb. pull so not a precision light pull trigger. Some of you guys probably could have put them all through the same hole (many were). Still, I'll take it.

Even the Riflespeed gas block, which had been giving me issues, was actually working as it should.

On top of that, I brought along the POF P415 12.5" SBR (5.56) with nothing more than an RDO and I have no doubt it could produce at least MOA @100 with that red dot (actually green). It's a surprisingly accurate factory barrel and a fantastic gun all around. I do wish it were a tad lighter and the gas system was a bit more intuitive but it surprises me every time I take it out. It's one of those rifles that inspires confidence right off the bat and feels like a unicorn rifle. I have one of the higher end Holosun RDO's on it and the dot is very crisp. I have a lower-tier Holosun as a temp on my Sig Spear LT and I kid you not, the "dot" looks more like an off kilter chevron with one leg longer than the other. A tight dot really makes quite a difference.

Speaking of the Sig, took it out as well. Loaded up some Hornady Black 208-grain subs, which have never cycled in any other rifle I've owned. Whelp, they cycled and locked the bolt back. Pinching myself.

I just started load development with the 69's and I have one box off the 77's to try as well but haven't gotten there yet. Thinking of just sticking to the 69's to keep things simple but the 77's are compelling. I'm also sticking with H335, tried Benchmark and it didn't seem to work for me. I do have Varget and 4046 as well but I'd like to reserve that for my 308 loads.

Reactions: simonp
I wouldn't think H335 would be very good for 77g bullets. ITs a little on the fast side and the spread between min and max loads is really small with a 77g bullet. Varget works great.

Reactions: Ape_Factory
My first X-Caliber barrel is getting Long-In-The-Throat @ about 3000 rounds (22 Nosler AR).
Heaviest profile, 28", 1:7, 5R, No Gas port.
I have a replacement in hand, but just lazy.
Wife didn't like the no gas so I assembled one for her with a gas port.
About 600 rounds so far.
WE are shooting 600 F-Open (with 22N :) )
None of the 3 took longer than 10 weeks.
Shooting 88's and 85.5 @ about 3000fps (SB 6.5)
His-and-Hers-ARs.jpg

I've recently built a 6.5CM using an x- caliber 24" tube, and I was quite impressed. I'm not a competition-level shooter by any means, but when it put 4 rds in a dime sized hole during the barrel break-in, I was sold. A good shooter could have probably halved that.

This was only the second rifle I've built from the ground up, and to have it run flawlessly and be accurate to boot was quite satisfying.

I've got another one of their barrels in 224 valkyrie to build soon. With the results I've had with that caliber in the past, that'll be a good test for barrel quality, but so far, I'm very pleased.

Every one of my X-Caliber barrels (5 so far) were delivered exactly to my order specifications, were beautifully machined, and shoot well. Customer service is great too. I recommend X-Caliber to all of my friends looking for a custom barrel for an AR/LR build. Haven't tried a bolt gun rebarrel yet but when it is time I will order a Rem-age barrel for my Rem 700.

Reactions: NCHillbilly
Last year I built a 6mm ARC AR and used X Caliber for the barrel. It has been a really good barrel and I wouldn't hesitate to order another one. Attached is a pic of some groups during initial shooting and scope zeroing.

6mm_ARC_Rifle.jpg

6mm_ARC_Barrel_02.jpg
6mm_ARC_Rifle_First-Shots.jpg

Reactions: Devildog6.5G
Not bad! Mine's still performing well although I'm having one hell of a time finding a good load for 77 grain Noslers. Getting mediocre SD and groupings with Benchrest and Tac. I may have to break out some Varget or 4046 and find a use for the 2 pounds of Benchrest and 8 pounds of Tac I now have. On another note, the Nosler 77 CC's are all over the place in terms of length. I feel like I got a "COVID" batch when QC went on vacation. I go by ogive but man, a bit more consistency would be nice.

Glad to see the good reviews, I bought one last year and so far it has been a great barrel.

Not bad! Mine's still performing well although I'm having one hell of a time finding a good load for 77 grain Noslers. Getting mediocre SD and groupings with Benchrest and Tac. I may have to break out some Varget or 4046 and find a use for the 2 pounds of Benchrest and 8 pounds of Tac I now have. On another note, the Nosler 77 CC's are all over the place in terms of length. I feel like I got a "COVID" batch when QC went on vacation. I go by ogive but man, a bit more consistency would be nice.
I had the same issue with Nosler and consistency in 77’s. I have since switched over to Bergers. I know they may be a little more expensive, but not by much. 24.6 gr of N140, 23.6gr of TAC or 22gr of Benchmark have both been working very well for me in my 20” Wilson Combat Super Sniper Barrel. May want to grab a box and see if it helps.

just for no free loading on X Caliber, I am going to have them spin up a 20” 6.5x47 for an Aero M5 lower I’ve had sitting around for a few years. Just think it would be a kick ass caliber to have in an AR.

I had the same issue with Nosler and consistency in 77’s. I have since switched over to Bergers. I know they may be a little more expensive, but not by much. 24.6 gr of N140, 23.6gr of TAC or 22gr of Benchmark have both been working very well for me in my 20” Wilson Combat Super Sniper Barrel. May want to grab a box and see if it helps.

just for no free loading on X Caliber, I am going to have them spin up a 20” 6.5x47 for an Aero M5 lower I’ve had sitting around for a few years. Just think it would be a kick ass caliber to have in an AR.
Thanks for that! I'll give the Bergers a try. My SD's were starting to come down at 23.5gr but I also didn't think I could safely go much above that charge weight.

What blanks do thy use? McGowan? Same town

Pretty sure they make their own according to their website. I currently have one .22-250 barrel that shoots lights out and have a 7 PRC barrel on order.

Tried Carbon 6 previously but I’m only buying from X Caliber going forward.

Reactions: NCHillbilly
I have a CarbonSix barrel on my Cross and despite my own disastrous dealings with McGowan directly, the CarbonSix barrel is really, really good. Very pleased with that purchase and it's a half MOA or less barrel.

I have a CarbonSix barrel on my Cross and despite my own disastrous dealings with McGowan directly, the CarbonSix barrel is really, really good. Very pleased with that purchase and it's a half MOA or less barrel.

My family has technically had 6, the first one was ok but pressures out early and only shoots ok. The second one was an 06 with marks on the chamber, so bad infact it had to be punched out to 300 WM to fix it and a replacement made. The 300 WM pressures out several grains below every other 300 WM I own. They then accidentally sent two 30-06 replacements, one has barely been shot but seems ok so far and the other had chamber marks and was sent back. The last one was a 6.5 PRC that was not finished and marked the brass, had to be sent back and re reamed to fix the chamber issues.

So all in all out of the 6 Carbon 6 barrels I’ve seen, 3 had messed up chambers, two had tight chambers that make them incompatible with ammo shot in all our other rifles and the last one hasn’t been shot enough to form an opinion.

Reactions: YotaEer
My chamber on the CarbonSix (Schnee's)was on the tight side which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm running about 2740fps with 4046 out of a 20" 308 barrel with 169 grain Sierra pills. I've done 10 shot groups that I could cover with a nickel. I've seen really bad McGowan barrels and I mean really bad, how in the hell did you let this out the door bad. But I can't complain about the CarbonSix barrel. With that said, if I ever do another barrel for the Cross, it'd be either x-caliber or Bartlein.

I've sent back far more Xcalibur barrels than I've used, soon the "mine shoots good" crowd will post 1/4 inch all day long, they cartainly can get lucky but I've slugged enough of them and seen their process, lapping is not consistant and the bores follows the taper of the OD contour, I know of a couple that shot out super fast because of poor heat treating. They obliously don't air guage all the barrels, I know one smith how has had decent luck with them but the rest of us suspect their sorting his barrels where we've just gotten them as a regular customer not mentioning being gunsmiths. They are my favorite barrel if I need to make a fire forming barrel for something.

It may be helpful to post what year you bought your x-caliber barrels along with if it shoots well or not. I know they had some QC issues in the past(pre covid at least.) But if the barrels being sent out now are good that would be beneficial for everyone to know going forward.

Reactions: max1840
Last year I built a 6mm ARC AR and used X Caliber for the barrel. It has been a really good barrel and I wouldn't hesitate to order another one. Attached is a pic of some groups during initial shooting and scope zeroing.

View attachment 8166117

View attachment 8166118View attachment 8166119
A few months ago I finished my X-Caliber 22" ARC DMR profile. Just finished the brake in process. I must say I am totally impressed. I only use X-Caliber and Shaw. I had my first send back with this ARC and I was a bit nervous. Couldn't chamber a factory round. Called customer service, sent it back and they found a bur. Sent it back reassembled and Damn!! Between the customer service and the barrel I will only be using X-Caliber! I haven't even developed a load yet. Just run of the mill mid charge of Lever and 100gr Hornaday to season barrel.

A few months ago I finished my X-Caliber 22" ARC DMR profile. Just finished the brake in process. I must say I am totally impressed. I only use X-Caliber and Shaw. I had my first send back with this ARC and I was a bit nervous. Couldn't chamber a factory round. Called customer service, sent it back and they found a bur. Sent it back reassembled and Damn!! Between the customer service and the barrel I will only be using X-Caliber! I haven't even developed a load yet. Just run of the mill mid charge of Lever and 100gr Hornaday to season barrel.

That’s fantastic news! I haven’t heard much of customer service from X-Caliber (a good thing), but your experience shows they took care of a customer. Outstanding!

Reactions: Devildog6.5G
i have only had 2 going on my 3rd bartlein barrels and one criterion barrel a couple of factory remington barrels and while I loved them all as they all shot great I could not say one was better than another cost more yes , lasted a bit longer depending on which gun it was on and how crazy I got cooking off rounds yup . is there really a new barrel that you buy that sucks that bad and you keep it ? if so why would you . and for some strange reason unlike everyone I have ever talked to none of my barrels had a preference or feelings on anything that was fired with them is that really a thing ? or are you the shooter shooting better at that moment in time than you did with the other gun ?

That’s fantastic news! I haven’t heard much of customer service from X-Caliber (a good thing), but your experience shows they took care of a customer. Outstanding!
Yes! For sure. They were genuinely concerned when I started giving them measurements of the factory and the measurements of dummy rounds I made to try and figure out what was going on and why it wouldn't chamber. My dummy rounds were deeper than book. Was on speaker phone and guy chimes in and says send it in, we will reimburse shipping. They got right back to me saying there was a bir in chamber. I had nothing short of a great experience with them. I was pleased at how they handled it. They also expedited the fix due to the nature of the problem. 2 weeks total from me sending and them back to me.