• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

X-Mark Pro trigger breaks clean.............off

MontanaMarine

MGySgt, Ret.
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2001
Canyon Ferry, MT
This is the second time this has happened. Replaced the first one with a old style Rem trigger. This one will get a Timney flat shoe.

P5170003.jpg

Both broke simply removing the stock, and the trigger shoe lightly contacted the inside of the stock inlet laterally on the way out.

Re: X-Mark Pro trigger breaks clean.............off

Man, that is wild. Are you slapping that thing like a red headed step child? J/P I Never was a fan of the x-mark pro trigger. I have the Remington 40X Trigger and have had no issues with it. Can't go wrong with Timney though. Hate to hear about the bad luck. You should be set with your new choice though.

Holy crap. Regardless what you do to replace it I would call Rem and get some satisfaction, at least a new trigger group you can sell for $30 to somebody.

I did easily break the ADL plastic trigger guard by simply torquing to Rem specs, and one call replaced with a steel one within a few weeks.

The thing is I don't want a replacement of the same trigger, and I couldn't sell one to a fellow shooter, with a straight face.

I'd still call rem to get a replacement. If nothing else to let remington know there's a problem. Nothing will change if they don't know they're breaking in the field. After that point, if you sell it to a hide member or use it for target practice (i.e. the trigger is the target), is up to you.

I'll probably give them an FYI, that both of my x-marks have failed.

Maybe enough feedback will get them to unfuck the current-issue trigger.

If you get one of the newer ones made out of kryptonite, I doubt you'll be able to pull that hard and break it any more. However, it might leave you feeling worn out after a day at the range.

superman-emblem.jpg

Seriously, good for you for your integrity: <span style="font-style: italic">quote</span> [I couldn't sell one to a fellow shooter, with a straight face.] <span style="font-style: italic">quote</span>.
There's a lot of mutts out there that would do just that and sleep like a baby afterwards. Hope you get the issue resolved!

those external adjust models are useless in my opinion. I had the same breakage as you on one. Not sure who the hell needs to adjust the trigger externally anyhow, and on this model it is only a secondary adjustment, it still adjusts internally just like the non-external model. A Weak POS.

Every new Remington 700 has the potential to turn itself into a club.

Buy a Timney, and you'll always have a rifle.

Remington knows about this problem. Marketing and economics says they won't change a thing unfortunately. People wanted an adjustable trigger...be careful what you wish for.

Metal Injection Molding...gotta love it.

It's probably from that god-awful heavy trigger pull that you use! I imagine you have to change out the springs to heavier ones to get them that bad. The one time I shot yours, I didn't think it would ever go off. I didn't have the heart to say anything at the time
wink.gif
The old ones were strong enough, but these new-fangled things can't take it.
If I see you at the Townsend shoot next month, maybe you will have a real trigger!

I think my other triggers Are 2.5 lbs, and 3.5 lbs. I don't like them too light.

This one was still as set from the factory, and felt like 5-6 lbs or so. As fate would have it, I was removing the action from the stock for the purpose of lightening the trigger pull, when it broke.

I was thinking I might get to Townsend for the June shoot. I've got a couple other shooters that are serviceable.

i had one do the same thing, i never fired a shot thru it and it broke right off. x-mark is garbage. i replaced it..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treebasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that's quality right there... </div></div>

Ding. Entire thread in a nutshell.

I believe Remington needs to get their QA house in order. There is no reason a firearms manufacturer, the size they are, to put such things on the market. I have a friend who bought a Model 597 in .22 LR, and he has had nothing but problems with it. I was going to buy one, but not now. I'll stick with my 10/22.
frown.gif

Now that's how a trigger is supposed to break. Apparently the 208 a-max not only wear out the barrel but the trigger too. Sorry it happened to you.

The same thing happened to me. However, mine got dropped on the trigger shoe and it broke off, but this may be a pattern? Either way, seems that Remington should make them a little stronger.

Makes me lean towards the savage 10fp over the Remington 700 sps tac. That does not look good at all
frown.gif

A little follow-up,

Timney trigger arrived today and I installed it without issue. Went with a flat trigger shoe. Did some dry-fire and really like the feel.

Overall, a big improvement in quality, function, and easy adjustability.

P6080006.jpg

P6080005.jpg

Straight trigger shoe is something I'd never considered. Can you describe why it feels better?

Thanks,

John

John,

I like the feel of the flat surface and I can go lower for extra leverage, and sliding finger along the triggerguard might aid in consistency.

It's a small thing and fairly subjective, but at first usage I like it.

Now that looks interesting..I got a trigger that I would like to replace, just might try the flat option.

Thanks Shane. Makes sense to me. I've been using Shillen triggers, but maybe I need to give Timney a try...

John

Goog luck if you go the Remington route. We could not get them to fix an oblong, out of spec chamber after 2 trips back. They said it was fine.

Just order a Timney or some other after market trigger and move on past the X mark. I have not been impressed with any of them.

My X Mark Pro broke too... same place, right at the screw too