• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing X Mark Pro Trigger

reewik

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 8, 2009
    La Vergne, TN
    Today started with plans to re-adjust my xMarkPro Remington trigger. I had previously adjusted the trigger to a much lighter weight than it came from the factory with, but I was still not happy with it. While adjusting the trigger and looking at the barreled action mounted on the SPS Hogue overmolded stock I could see where the barrel was not quite free floating like I would have liked to see. So I went to the tool box and pulled out the Dremel tool and a sanding bit. I sanded the stock to widen and deepen the rubber forend to allow for a much better amount of clearance. (this process turned out to be a very messy one. I had rubber all over the place... OOPs, sorry honey)

I then moved back to the original project, the trigger. I adjusted the trigger, tested it and realized the weight of the trigger was not the only problem. The shape of the trigger was just not comfortable at all. I went back to the tool box for the Dremel. I sanded the trigger to a flat surface with some texture and it is wonderful. The weight is about perfect and it just really feels good. I need to use a trigger weight gauge to test the weight of pull but I think I am pretty happy.

Here is the part I hate, I cannot go to the range until Saturday!

Re: X Mark Pro Trigger

I have only had the rifle a few months. I have put about 380 rounds down the pipe. Why do you ask?

Because we are betting it will start to creep soon.

I never really liked the trigger shoe on the X-mark, but I was willing to live with it if it would stay at the weight I adjusted it to. Well, it wouldn't so off it went only to be replaced by a pre-2006 trigger.

The trigger shoe is fairly fragile too. Mine broke in half at the adjusting screw. I replaced it with an old style factory trigger.

Yeah, I have heard good and bad about this trigger, we will see how it does.

Interesting... I keep seeing where people are replacing this trigger with a reworked older remington trigger. My backup rifle, a 700 5R milspec, came with this trigger, and thus far its pretty sweet.

Are they that bad?

I adjusted this trigger 3 times to the weight I liked. Twice, it got heavier on its own and without reason (the nail polish I locked the screws with was still intact !?! ). Since my third trial and 600+ rounds later, my trigger remained OK but I still don't understand why it did this time... If it gives me another single problem, off it goes ! I never had any difficulty with the old rem trigger.

The best thing I did to the trigger was to take out the curved shape. it was just not comfortable to me. i like it flat.

I've also got a 5R with an X Mark that has been adjusted down to about 2.5-3 pounds pull. It worked great for about 500 rounds and then started to get heavier for no reason (the nail polish shows it has not moved). Lately it has gone bonkers... sometimes it feels like it is set at 7-8 pounds. Either way it is very inconsistent.

I'll try adjusting it one last time... and if it drifts again, I will pack it put and send it back to Remington with a note asking them to please put it out with the trash.

Maybe then they'll notice!
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALARAK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Are they that bad? </div></div>

Depends on what you need and what you can do. If you dont mind installing a new trigger yourself, it's less than $100 to install and adjust an aftermarket trigger.

Even if you need a smith to do it, it's less than $150 in all. Pretty cheap if you actually care about your shooting.

I know Jewels are 2.5x as much as most others, but you DONT need a jewel. I honestly dont like them. Everyone I've squeezed felt squishy. And they were installed/adjusted by a smith we respect very much. I think thats just how Jewels feel.

Keith Johns

Mine is 2.5lbs - most of the time - and sometimes it feels like 12lbs, but usually only for the first couple of shots after it has sat.

I received the dubious honor or the “universes worst trigger” from RO the pull went up to 10-12 pounds. It was quickly replaced with a 40X trigger.

I'm going to take the rifle out of the stock and look at the trigger assy to see if there's any goo or burrs in it. I'm banking on goo.

my sps came with the xmark pro. after 400 rounds it went nuts like many others on this site. the new jewell works great. i wish you nothing but good luck with yours but don't be surprised if the pull weight starts to vary.

I took mine out tonight and found green stuff growing in it. I'm not sure if it's bore cleaner or oil that might have dripped down there or not. I took it apart as far as I dared (it's riveted, so there's a limit) and cleaned it up as well as I could. I lubed it up liberally with break-free and put it all back together (65inlb on the screws and all). We'll see if it gets heavy again.

Well, what the hell... My trigger seemed to jump to over 10 pounds this weekend so I decided to flood it through and through with some Hoppes No 9 solution. Miraculously, within seconds it had lightened back up and seemed to work smoothly once again, breaking at about 2.5 lbs. Finished the job by blowing it out with compressed air... lets see how long it lasts.

Truth be told, I was quite surprised at the instantaneous improvement.

You may have something there. My trigger got heavier twice (varnish on screws intact) without reason. I cleaned out the trigger and the adjustment hasn't changed through several hundred rounds since.

Whether it was cleaning the bore, the trigger improvement, or cleaning the gunk off of the recoil lug and bedding block, the rifle shot better than ever.... I put 3 through the 0 of the 10 marking the 10 ring on a man-silhouette target @ 100yds prone with pod and sock. Definitely a personal best - and shot similar groups while testing some other things out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Replaced mine with a Rifle Basix. </div></div>

Same here. After three adjustments of the X-Mark creeped back up, I said screw it.

Funny thing though, my second time out with the new trigger it too creeped up from the factory setting of 2.25 lbs to God knows how high. I was big time pissed.

The Jefe of the range, Manatee Gun club, a retired Marine armorer I'm told, was in that day and he tuned that sucker down to 10 ounces!!!!

It has held for nearly 1000 rounds since.

BTW, Remington has recently introduced "THE NEW X-MARK PRO" trigger. I believe one can adjust it without removing the action.

you would be correct queequeg, the trigger weight screw is about middle of the trigger screw. There have been some reports of the actual shoe breaking at the screw. I too as well replaced the X Mark with a Rifle Basix

Easier and better to replace the trigger. Would take less than 5 minutes to replace. The aftermarket triggers are much better quaility.

My non-resident hunting license costs more than a Rifle Basix trigger so I replaced X Mark with a Rifle Basix after my first trip to the range. I would not want the mark x to break or go heavy on me when I have my scope on a deer or ground hog.

Next time you flush a trigger try lighter fluid, it will do the job and dry immediately without the potential for gunk build up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banks74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a WSM with an xmark coming soon from GAP, interested to see how the Xmark feels. </div></div>

If you are laying out the several thousand that is needed to aquire a fine rifle like a GAP spring for the $75 for a Shilen trigger or $125 for the Timney. It would suck to have the weak link in the chain be something as easily remedied as that.

All that being said has anyone tried a Holland's Spring Kit in the X-Mark? I've used them in the old style trigger but not the X-Mark. It was good for improving an already good trigger, I wonder if it's be good for improving a bad one?

If the trigger is lubricated with oil at the factory (or on your gun bench) it would make sense that the pull weight would increase as dust, dirt, powder adn debris were accumulated due to the oil. It would also make sense that the problem would be alleviated when cleaned. I'm not saying this is the issue but it does make sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Replaced mine with a Rifle Basix. </div></div>

Same here. After three adjustments of the X-Mark creeped back up, I said screw it.

Funny thing though, my second time out with the new trigger it too creeped up from the factory setting of 2.25 lbs to God knows how high. I was big time pissed.

The Jefe of the range, Manatee Gun club, a retired Marine armorer I'm told, was in that day and he tuned that sucker down to 10 ounces!!!!

It has held for nearly 1000 rounds since.

BTW, Remington has recently introduced <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">"THE NEW X-MARK PRO" trigger</span>. </span>I believe one can adjust it without removing the action. </div></div>

Xmarkadjustabletriggercaption.jpg