• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

X-Ray 51 Redux

Aries64

Deep Behind Enemy Lines in IsWokestan!
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2007
Los Angeles, California
About two and a half years ago I received my first Tac Ops rifle and posted about it in <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"My Tac Ops X-Ray 51 is here!!!"</span></span>. I originally spec'ed my X-Ray 51 with the McMillan "Saddle" adjustable cheekpiece, but about the time my barreled action was ready to be bedded I received a call from Mike Rescigno. A LEO had a sudden change-of-heart and wanted a Saddle Cheekpiece stock, and Mike asked me to relinquish my stock so that he could use it on the LEO build. Since operators need their gear more than I do, I agreed.

Now I had the choice of using a non-adjustable cheekpiece stock or order and wait for another adjustable stock. I'd been waiting for my X-Ray 51 for nearly a year and I didn't relish the thought of adding another 6 months to my wait time so I went with the non-adjustable cheekpiece stock. I also originally went with Seekins HIGH rings, but they were too low, and even with the bottom of the Objective's Butler Creek ground completely flat it still rubbed the (Tac Ops Heavy Contour) barrel. I changed over to Mark 4 HIGHs' and that solved the rubbing problem.

Like all Tac Ops rifles my X-Ray 51 is extremely accurate. Although it is chambered and <span style="font-style: italic">"certified"</span> with Federal Gold Medal Match 168s', it shoots nearly the same with FGMM 175s'. Accuracy with Black Hills 175s' is pretty good too - well under 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. However, as great as I could shoot with it I longed-for a stock with an adjustable cheekpiece. Due to the combination of the shape of my face (angular with high cheekbones) and a PMII 5-25X[56mm] mounted on a Tac Ops 40 MOA two-piece base I had to build-up the cheekpiece height with some foam under my stock pack - and that was pushing my face (and eye) slightly off-axis of the scope. Even then I still had more of a "jaw weld". I really needed an adjustable cheekpiece.

Then about a year ago I bought an A5 Adjustable with the KMW "Loggerhead" cheekpiece hardware and adjustable LOP complete with Williams bottom metal. The stock also had a Remington Varmint barrel channel, "BDL" floorplate inlet, and didn't have an Anschutz Rail so to turn it into an X-Ray stock it was going to need more work than usual but it was a good deal and immediately-available. The fore arm had also had two T-Nuts installed to attach an Atlas BT17, so the holes would need to be filled-in. Before committing to buying the A5 I spoke with Mike Rescigno about modifying it for re-fitting to my X-Ray 51's barreled action (it's a lot of work). Mike gave me the thumbs-up so I bought the stock and Williams bottom metal.

Once I received the adjustable stock I held onto it for a while, deciding if I wanted to re-fit my existing X-Ray 51 or build another X-Ray 51. <span style="font-style: italic">A "spare" X-Ray wouldn't hurt, would it?</span> Eventually the "new" stock was sent to McMillan to have the barrel channel and floorplate opening re-inletted and to have a 10" Anschutz Rail installed. While Tac Ops could have done all of the inletting in-house, Mike doesn't like dust contaminating the shop, as it interferes with the accuracy of the machines and tolerances. The Tac Ops shop is like a "clean room" at an Intel fab.

Below are some photos of the X-Ray 51 re-fitted in the "new" A5 Adjustable with the "Loggerhead" cheekpiece hardware. I also asked Mike to inlet for and install a Tac Ops floorplate in lieu of the Williams floorplate my X-Ray 51 previously used. Since the new bottom metal had to be coated Mike asked me if I wanted to have all the metal re-coated to match, which I did. Major parts are coated in a very dark formulation of Green-T reminiscent of older Tac Ops rifles. Contrasting parts are finished in Black-T.

Check-out my post directly below this one for some "before" photos of the stock as I bought it - molded-in GAP Camo pattern, Remington Varmint barrel channel, LOP Spacer System, BDL floorplate inlet (notice that the Williams floorplate has a lot of space around it), and dual T-Nuts installed in the fore arm to attach a BT17. There are also some photos of the stock in-process (inletted for Tac Ops floorplate and textured) as well as two detail photos of the fore arm and the Anschutz Rail.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">X-Ray 51 with KMW "Loggerhead" Cheekpiece Hardware-equipped adjustable stock and with the Tac Ops floorplate:</span></span>
X-Ray51LoggerheadRS45AngleCU8x6.jpg

X-Ray51LoggerheadLS45Angle2NOSN8x6.jpg

X-Ray51LoggerheadRSProfileOBFF38x6.jpg

X-Ray51LoggerheadLSProfileOBFF3NOSN8x6.jpg

X-Ray51LoggerheadRSPG8x6.jpg

X-Ray51LoggerheadLSPG8x6.jpg

TOPaintedLoggerheadClampBlack-TScrew48x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of fitted Tac Ops floorplate finished in Birdsong "Tac Ops OD" Green-T & Black-T:</span></span>
TOBottomMetal18x6.jpg

TOBottomMetal48x6.jpg

TOBottomMetal68x6.jpg

Keith

Re: X-Ray 51 Redux

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">GAP Camo A5 Adjustable as I received it, before re-inletting, fitting, texturing, bedding, & painting:</span></span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Right side profile of McMillan A5 Adjustable with KMW "Loggerhead" cheekpiece hardware and McMillan LOP Spacer System:</span></span>
GAPCamoA5AdjustableRSPROFILE8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup view of bottom of A5 forearm showing the BT17's two (2) attachment screw holes:</span></span>
GAPCamoA5ForearmBOTTOM8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup view of A5 Remington 700 "Varmint" barrel channel showing the top of the BT17's two (2) T-Nuts:</span></span>
GAPCamoA5BarrelChannel8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of the A5 BDL floorplate inlet and William's Firearm's floorplate. Note the large gap between the inlet and the floorplate:</span></span>
GAPCamoA5BottomMetalInstalled8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">After re-inletting of A5 Adjustable stock:</span></span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Bottom of McMillan A5 forearm after Anschutz Rail installation. The screws have not been torqued down and "timed" yet:</span></span>
GAPCamoA5AdjustableAnschutzRailCU8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">A5 barrel channel post re-inletting. The BT17's two T-Nuts have been covered and four new T-Nuts installed for the Anschutz Rail:</span></span>
GAPCamoA5AdjustableBCAR8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of inletted Tac Ops 303 Stainless Steel floorplate. The stock has been textured, but not bedded yet:</span></span>
GAPCamoA5AdjARTexturedTOBM.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Installed on completed Tac Ops X-Ray 51:</span></span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Bottom of forearm of completed X-Ray 51. Note that the Anschutz Rail screws are all "timed" to the 12:00 position:</span></span>
X-Ray51LoggerheadAnschutzRail18x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of Atlas BT28 installed in the Anschutz Rail on the forearm of a Tac Ops X-Ray 51:</span></span>
X-Ray51LoggerheadAnschutzRailBT28CU38x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of fitted Tac Ops floorplate finished in Birdsong "Tac Ops OD" Green-T & Black-T Notice that the big BDL-to-Williams gap
is gone - this is because the Tac Ops "door" is rectangular, and the inlet has been modified to accomodate the wider Tac Ops "door":</span></span>
TOBottomMetal18x6.jpg

Keith

Keith,

Great looking rifle. One of the reasons I took my X-Ray out of the A5 and the A1-3 was the need for an adjustable cheek. There is an A3-5 on order at McMillan for it now.
smile.gif
Nice before and after pics. Thank you for sharing.

Mike showed me the prototype of his bottom metal and I have to say, I like it 'naked' as much as Green-T'd.

I'm taking mine out tomorrow morning for a mid-week 'bunk' off work.

As always, great pics Keith!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George Mac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keith,

Great looking rifle. One of the reasons I took my X-Ray out of the A5 and the A1-3 was the need for an adjustable cheek.</div></div>
George, I remember when you sold your X-Ray 51's stock and replaced it with the A1-3. I didn't get that. And when you pulled the action of out the A1-3 I thought <span style="font-style: italic">"What the hell is George doing?"</span> It makes sense now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George Mac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is an A3-5 on order at McMillan for it now.
smile.gif
</div></div>
You're going to love the A3-5 Adjustable. You may have already ordered it, but unless you like to fiddle with the cheek height I highly recommend the KMW "Loggerhead". We already know that <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">stockdoc</span></span> can install the Loggerhead - just order the stock <span style="font-style: italic">"without hardware"</span>.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George Mac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice before and after pics. Thank you for sharing. </div></div>
Thanks George. I'm really happy with the new stock and bottom metal and I'm dying to go shoot. I haven't shot the X-Ray for close to 10 months now, and I'm waiting on a case of SW 175 Standards to try out. I hope it gets here tomorrow - I need to zero and chrono the SW 175s' for an F-Class shoot this weekend. If the SW ammo doesn't come in time I'll have to buy some FGMM 175s' or sit the match out. I'm really rusty anyway.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutlawTen5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very, very nice Keith! </div></div>
Thanks Chris.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike showed me the prototype of his bottom metal and I have to say, I like it 'naked' as much as Green-T'd.</div></div>
I know what you mean. Some thing are just beautiful to look at, dressed or "naked".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm taking mine out tomorrow morning for a mid-week 'bunk' off work.</div></div>
Lucky you. I'm waiting for some SW Ammo 175s' to test and zero with for an F-Class match this weekend. I hope it shows up soon - I'm rusty and definitely need some trigger time before the match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As always, great pics Keith!</div></div>
Thanks <span style="font-style: italic">Bij</span>. I can't take all the credit - I've got the eye, but the camera does the rest. <span style="font-style: italic">It's all about the light</span>.

Keith

Nice job on the pics. I have a Delta 51 on order with the A3-5 stock. I was under the impression the McM came with the loggerhead standard now(?)
After seeing these pics and the ones LowLight posted I'm anxious to get mine.

I am also ordering the supressor and hopefully all the paper work will be done for it by the time the rifle is ready.

I would like to see the results from the SW ammo if possible.
Hope you make the match and good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice job on the pics. I have a Delta 51 on order with the A3-5 stock. I was under the impression the McM came with the loggerhead standard now(?)</div></div>
That's a negative, <span style="font-style: italic">T2CH</span>. McMillan doesn't install the KMW Loggerhead in their stocks - <span style="font-style: italic">at least yet</span>. As you probably know, all A3-5s' have adjustable cheekpieces, negating the need to specify an adjustable cheekpiece when ordering an A3-5. However, if you want the Loggerhead you have to order the stock <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Without hardware"</span></span>, then send the stock to KMW (or someone that can install the Loggerhead cheekpiece hardware correctly) to have the Loggerhead installed. If you don't send your stock to KMW I suggest that you contact "<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">stockdoc"</span></span> here on the Hide').

On McMillan stocks that are available in both adjustable and non-adjustable cheekpieces you have to order the stock with an adjustable cheekpiece but <span style="font-style: italic">"Without hardware"</span>, then send the stock to KMW (or someone that can install the Loggerhead cheekpiece hardware correctly) to have the Loggerhead installed. If you don't send your stock to KMW I suggest that you contact "<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">stockdoc"</span></span> here on the Hide').

However, McMillan recently changed over to a single Thumbscrew on the Clamp Bar, giving the appearance of a KMW Loggerhead with a Thumbscrew instead of a 3/16 hex head screw on the side of the stock. At a glance it's hard to see the difference unless the cheekpiece is raised up high enough to be able to see the Clamp Bar (which is solid) as opposed to the KMW (which uses two [2] posts).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After seeing these pics and the ones LowLight posted I'm anxious to get mine.</div></div>
Photos don't do Tac Ops rifles and suppressors justice, you have to hold them in your hands and fire them to truly appreciate them and understand what makes them so special. That's no shit and not opinion. It's fact. It can be a very long wait, but well worth the wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am also ordering the supressor and hopefully all the paper work will be done for it by the time the rifle is ready.</div></div>
You lucky dog. I wish I could own suppressors, but I do get to play with them at the range from time to time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to see the results from the SW ammo if possible.</div></div>
I'll have to post up some photos at some point after I get my SW ammo and a bit of trigger time. I don't know if you saw it, but <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">OutlawTen5</span></span> posted some awesome 500 yard and 700 yard groups using SW Ammo 175 SMKs' in his "<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">TAC OPS M40A1 --- Happy New Year to me!</span></span>" thread. Click <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">HERE</span></span></span> to go directly to <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">OutlawTen5</span></span>'s post of the photos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hope you make the match and good luck! </div></div>
Thanks. As I said I haven't shot the X-Ray for almost 10 months so I'm rusty and will need it - especially if I shoot against the 6mm, .243s', .260s', and 6.5x47Ls' I shot against before.

Keith

Gotcha on the Loggerhead, thanks for the info. I shot a friends a3-5 and it fit well. He adjusted the stock and then put a stock pack on. Seemed to work well. I will try that first.

I have held a Tac Ops Kilo 51, that is what helped me decide on the build.

I have seen the thread and must say they are impressive groups. I just would not mind seeing some more from other rifles. I know thay all shoot the same, just like to see it.

Good things come to those that wait, I'm about a third through it now...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotcha on the Loggerhead, thanks for the info. I shot a friends a3-5 and it fit well. He adjusted the stock and then put a stock pack on. Seemed to work well. I will try that first.</div></div>
No problem, <span style="font-style: italic">T2CH</span>. For illustrative purposes, below are two photos of the new single thumbscrew <span style="font-style: italic">Integral</span> Adjustable Cheekpiece on a LH X-Ray 51. In the top photo the cheekpiece has been raised to align the eye with the PMII mounted on it. If you look closely you can see the solid McMillan "Clamp Bar" between the cheekpiece and the lower section of the buttstock.

The bottom photo is a closeup showing the single thumbscrew setup. Sharp-eyed readers will catch the short, low-profile thumbscrew. Tac Ops shortens the threaded shanks of the thumbscrews to give them a lower profile. You can still use a Stock Pack without the Stock Pack hanging-up on the thumbscrew.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Single thumbscrew McMillan Integral cheekpiece on LH X-Ray 51. Look closely and you can see the solid Clamp Bar in the top photo:</span></span>
P9154824NOSN18x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">The threaded shank of the thumbscrew on this X-Ray 51 has been shortened to provide a lower profile to the thumbscrew:</span></span>
McMillanSingleThumbscrewIntegralCheekpiece802x533.jpg

I also like to use a stock pack - it sounds like a <span style="font-style: italic">"line"</span>, but the suede of the Stock Pack feels warmer in cool weather and cooler in hot weather and doesn't burn your face after the summer sun has been beating-down on the rifle all day. I set the cheekpiece height to be <span style="font-style: italic">just so</span> with my Tac Ops Stock Pack installed. I keep tools, a LensPen, and earplugs in it. If I were to remove the Stock Pack I'd need to raise the cheekpiece a bit to to achieve the same height.
X-Ray51LoggerheadSPRS45Angle18x6.jpg

X-Ray51LoggerheadSPLS45Angle18x6.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have held a Tac Ops Kilo 51, that is what helped me decide on the build.</div></div>
I know. After fingering several Kilo 51s' at Mike's prior to shipment, I have to say that I really like the A3-5. Since I usually shoot prone the X-Ray works really well for me, but maybe someday I'll have a Kilo built.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen the thread and must say they are impressive groups. I just would not mind seeing some more from other rifles. I know thay all shoot the same, just like to see it.</div></div>
Tac Ops rifles may not all shoot the same, but they do all shoot. It takes a very skilled and disciplined shooter to be able to use the extreme accuracy of a Tac Ops rifle at 110 yards, let alone at distance. I also usually consider posts asking for groups shot at distance <span style="font-style: italic">(Tac Ops rifles are typically singled-out)</span>, suspect. Do people actually think that the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">accuracy of the rifle itself</span></span> magically degrades at distance, rather than environmental conditions and shooter skill affecting the groups at distance? <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">OutlawTen5</span></span>'s distance groups are outstanding and it's obvious that he's a highly-skilled shooter shooting an extremely-accurate weapon and ammo combination. Kudos!

As for me, my home range limits how far targets may be placed. Targets may be placed a maximum of 300 yards, only on certain days, and the range break is 5 minutes. I have to run up a hill with the target stand, set it up, then run back within the 5-minute range break. 300 yards isn't very far but I can place 5 shots into sub-.25 MOA groups when I'm "right" - that 600 yard run tires me these days. Most of the time and beyond 300 yards I'm usually shooting at steel. I can stack the impacts, but it isn't the same as seeing the holes in the paper. Paper doesn't lie.

To give you an idea of what my X-Ray 51 & FGMM 175s' and I can do in the wind, in the 2x25 (perfect score 500-50X) Mid-Range F-Class "match" I mentioned above, in switchy winds away from my home range the right side of the "X" ring and the adjoining area of the "10" ring of my target were completely shot-out - leaving about a 2.5" hole to patch that could not be repaired with black pasters. Between myself and the shooter sharing my frame the MR 1F target needed to be changed twice. Both of us shot the spindles out of our respective "sighters" several times out of the "X" ring.

Looking at <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">OutlawTen5</span></span>'s two targets, I'd say that he and his Tac Ops M40A1 could have beat me & my X-Ray 51 and the two F-OPEN shooters and their hand-loaded 6.5x47Ls' if he could shoot that way for 50 rounds.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Note the respective scores and calibers of the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd Place shooters:</span></span>

Steve R. 240-08 248-10 488-18 - 6.5x47L
Mark E. 247-10 238-07 485-17 - 6.5-47L
Keith 243-07 241-08 484-15 - .308
Mark I. 241-08 239-08 480-16 - 6mm
Randall R. 240-04 239-07 479-11
Charles R. 234-05 241-06 475-11
Cameron W. 234-04 238-05 472-09
Joe C. 234-01 232-08 466-09
Conner 226-04 239-10 465-14
Rich 232-06 231-08 463-08 - .308
Scott G. 234-01 229-03 463-04 - .308
Yarish 225-02 214-01 439-03

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good things come to those that wait, I'm about a third through it now... </div></div>
<span style="font-style: italic">"Patience, young Skywalker"</span>.

Keith

Very nice write up im ready for my x-ray to show up anyday. I like the accuracy of my tango im ready to see what I can do with the x ray

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">damn you all and your tac ops guns. </div></div>
<span style="font-style: italic">I know, right?</span>

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COTTON_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice write up im ready for my x-ray to show up anyday. I like the accuracy of my tango im ready to see what I can do with the x ray </div></div>
Thanks <span style="font-style: italic">Cotton_00</span>. I love my X-Ray 51 and you'll love your's too. One thing that I highly recommend that you buy is an <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Atlas BT28 AFAR Kit</span></span> to replace the standard Harris #HB6A adapter that resides in the X-Ray's Anschutz Rail. From there you'll need either a Harris with a Larue LT706 QD Mount or an Atlas bipod of your choosing. Picatinny-mounted bipods work better on the A5's forearm than stud-mounted bipod's because stud-mounted bipods rely on a "saddle"/cradle under tension to attach the bipod and keep it from moving.

The problem is that the curved saddle/cradle on Harris bipods and clones is designed for use with narrower forearms', and doesn't mate very well with the A5's wide, flat forearm - especially with the X-Ray's texturing. No matter how tight I cranked the Harris's thumbscrew, the bipod could still move a little. Over time my repeated cranking of the Harris's thumbscrew caused the stud in the Harris adapter to loosen and turn, allowing the bipod to rotate as much as 45 degrees under recoil. That's when I switched to the BT28 and Larue LT706 QD Mount on my X-Ray 51.

I also highly recommend that you buy a KMW PodLoc for use on the Swivel-type (<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"S"</span> Series</span>) Harris', as the huge, clunky Larue Pivot Tension Knob is so big theres' no clearance to grasp and turn the Pivot Tension Knob. Below are some photos of a Larue LT706 + Harris BRM-S mounted on an ACCU-SHOT BT28 on my X-Ray 51. The Larue LT706/Harris BRM-S combo also has a Gen 2 KMW Podloc mounted on it. The LT706 QD Mount works so well that I bought 5 of them to convert more Harris bipods.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">X-Ray 51 with BT28 Accessory Rail installed in Anschutz Rail with Harris BRM-S + LT706 QD Mount Combo</span></span> <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">+ KMW Gen 2 Pod-Loc:</span></span>
X-Ray51LoggerheadBT28RS8x6.jpg

X-Ray51LoggerheadBT28LS8x6.jpg

HarrisBRM-SLT706ComboFRONT18x6.jpg

The only thing about the BT28 is that you have to shorten the 1/2" long screws that are included in the BT28 AFAR Kit. The short screws that are included in the AFAR Kit work well on the rails in the bottom of Bell & Carlson stocks, but are really too short to work optimally in McMillan "Anschutz" Rails. The BT28 attaches to rails by capturing the "lip" of the host Rail between the BT28's Body and the opposing edges of the BT28's two "Nuts" as the BT28's Screws are tightened.

When installed in a McMillan "Anschutz" Rail, the short screws have barely a full thread engaged on my BT28's threaded "Nuts". IMO that's not enough thread engagement to ensure that the screws won't loosen or strip-out if the bipod is bumped around. Hence I shorten the included 1/2" long screws to use the BT28 on McMillan Rails.

It should be noted that the Rails installed in the bottom of Bell & Carlson stocks are made of thinner metal, and the "lips" of these rails are also thinner. Because of this, when the BT28 is installed in a Bell & Carlson rail the screws don't have to be as long and the short screws included in the BT28 AFAR Kit worked perfectly when I tested them in the Rail of my brother's B & C Medallist Tactical Adjustable.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Adapter rails are inserted into wide opening at the rear, then slid forward. Here you can see the "lip" of the Rail that the BT28's Body and Nuts bear against:</span></span>
X-Ray51LoggerheadAnschutzRail38x6.jpg

X-Ray51LoggerheadAnschutzRailBT28CU28x6.jpg

However, it should also be noted that the profile of the BT28 Bodies that I've seen varies. The underside of the BT28 is "dished", and the depth of the concave cut is deeper on three of the four that I personally own. The shallower the "dish" the thicker the BT28 Body is, requiring very slightly longer screws. Conversely, BT28 bodies cut with a deeper "dish" can use shorter screws. The BT28 I mounted in the rail of my brother's B & C Medallist Tactical Adjustable and the BT28s' I've mounted in numerous other McMillan "Anschutz" Rails have deeply cut Bodies so I used the shortest screws possible.

Still, if you're mounting the BT28 in a McMillan "Anschutz" Rail the supplied 1/2" screws still need to be to used (shortened prior to use). If the screws are too long the ends of the shanks will bottom on the host rail.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">ACCU-SHOT BT28 AFAR Kit:</span></span>
BT28AFARKITNEW.jpg

Keith

You take some killer photos... I need to go up and see mike anyways. These photos just motivate me a bit more

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need to go up and see mike anyways.</div></div>

Looking forward to seeing you Joe just let me know when your GTG. I will be aval. anytime after Thursday. I think I might have the UFC fights at my home again and make some serious Italian food if you can hang ?
wink.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mike
Tac Ops</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You take some killer photos... I need to go up and see mike anyways. These photos just motivate me a bit more </div></div>
Thanks <span style="font-style: italic">Joe</span>, much appreciated. I can't take all the photo credit though - I just compose the frame, trip the shutter, and get the kudos while my camera does the hard work. My camera is low-end by today's standards.

If you're able to head up to Mike's for the UFC fights le me know. I can bring my X-Ray and let you finger it. Or if you can make it to ASR you can have a go with it. I got some Southwest 175 "Standard" ammo and had a chance to chrono it today. I wasn't concentrating on the groups so much as making sure I didn't kill my PVM-21's infra-red frame assembly and remembering to record my shots, but I can now confirm that my X-Ray likes the SW 175 Standard (Winchester brass) ammo.

The SW 175 Standards shoot <span style="font-style: italic">very well</span>, and a 10-shot string averaged 2,647.38 fps out of my X-Ray 51's 21.5" barrel. By comparison, two 10-shot strings of FGMM 175s' averaged 2,712.26 fps (Lot #210210W254) and 2,694.48 fps (Lot #20122V107) respectively. A 10-shot string of Lapua 155 Scenars' averaged 2,870.21 fps. Now I need to make a range card for the SW 175s'. The different loads and lots were shot back-to-back.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will do mike I'll call ya this week</div></div>

Just don't text or email me I freaking hate that shit LMAO
wink.gif
Call me anytime as I am on Coms from 10:30 am till 1:00 am no doubt 310-275-8797 seven days a week...

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mike
Tac Ops</span>