• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

X Ray Vs XRS

fdkay

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2009
    Ingleside, Tx
    I'm considering upgrading from a Bravo chassis.
    I'm looking around the 500 dollar mark, give or take.
    I'm not specifically looking for one that mimics a conventional stock, as I am just as comfortable shooting either.
    I'm also not looking for something in the 1000 dollar range, if I was, I'd just get another magpul 700 pro.
    Can anyone chime in that has spent time with both?
    pro's and con's of each?

Thanks

Why not switch out the butt stock on your Bravo and it'll become an x-ray?
    I considered that, but I thought there were some differences in the fore end.
    I'd actually like a bit more weight, I added one weight spacer to the LOP, but by the time I get three, the price starts going up.
    I understand the concept is lightweight, but I'm finding recoil control to be a bit of an issue with such a lightweight design, don't know if the XRS is any heavier.

An X-ray isn't an upgrade to the Bravo. It's different.
    If you like the feel of the Bravo, add weight to it.

An X-ray isn't an upgrade to the Bravo. It's different.
    If you like the feel of the Bravo, add weight to it.
    I find the buttstock just doesn't do it for me.
    I actually have two bravo's, one on a 7mm, the other on a .22 nosler.
    The recoil of the .22 nosler is almost non-existent and I have no issues with it, the recoil on the 7mm isn't harsh, but it is enough that I don't care for the way the buttstock and I work together.
    Kind of hard to explain, but I don't shoot it as well as I did when it was in a different chassis.

Just an FYI, MDT raised their prices after Jan 1, the XRS went from $500 to $650. I was looking at it or a Bravo/X-Ray and now will probably go the KRG route.

Edit - now I see that it's back to $550 on their site, so that helps

Last edited:
    Reactions: fdkay
    I find the buttstock just doesn't do it for me.
    I actually have two bravo's, one on a 7mm, the other on a .22 nosler.
    The recoil of the .22 nosler is almost non-existent and I have no issues with it, the recoil on the 7mm isn't harsh, but it is enough that I don't care for the way the buttstock and I work together.
    Kind of hard to explain, but I don't shoot it as well as I did when it was in a different chassis.
    Same… I had a bravo and upgraded it to an X-ray buttstock and much happier with it.

What does the buttstock cost?
    It’s amazing what you can find on the krg site: https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/x-ray-rear/

😀

Joking aside… the $300 is worth it if you have a bravo spare and decide you’d prefer an X-ray… which I did after using someone else’s.

I now have two xray’s… the bravo converted to an X-ray is on my hunting 7mm wsm (took a muley in the mountains with it last year) and the other is a brand new X-ray on a 308 training gun. Love ‘em both.

XRS is $550 USD now. I have two of them and consider the fit and finish a step above the Bravo, as it should be for the additional $$$. I don’t have the Bravo anymore to compare exact weights but the XRS is definitely heavier.

It’s amazing what you can find on the krg site: https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/x-ray-rear/

😀

Joking aside… the $300 is worth it if you have a bravo spare and decide you’d prefer an X-ray… which I did after using someone else’s.

I now have two xray’s… the bravo converted to an X-ray is on my hunting 7mm wsm (took a muley in the mountains with it last year) and the other is a brand new X-ray on a 308 training gun. Love ‘em both.
    Thanks, for some reason I was having trouble finding it.

Must be the oddball.
    Added forend weight,,as well as heavy rear spacer on a 3 way adjustable buttpad.
    The Bravo, works for me.

I bought 6 ounce lead sinkers and hammered them til they fit in the spaces nicely. 2 in the grip for 12 oz, 1 in hook cover to make 18oz and 2 more in in the LOP spaces to make it 30 ounces even. Then the other gaps were filled in with lead wheel weights. I have a 26" Proof truck axle with 8" can so it was all as weight needed.....got the balance about 1" north of mag well. Total cost about $9 to the ideas from other threads here. It's not gucci approved, but neither is the packing tape and adhesive felt cheek riser on my rifles either...but it works. Might be worth a try I've been pleased with it so far....if I could only get the guy behind the rifle to up his game! On my CZ457 Bravo I needed front weight and used another idea from threads...duck decoy weights inside inlet lined up perfectly.

Last edited:
    Im not tall, and for tactical/prs positional shooting I like a 13" LOP. Unfortunately to have adjustable can't on either bravo or xrs, the LOP is boosted to almost 14". This just isnt comfortable to me. Sold my bravo due to this, the Tikka xrs will prob be next to go.

I have a bravo that comes in at 22 lbs and balances nicely on a gamechanger. One steel butt stock spacer, adjustable cant, two forend mlok weights, the xl heavy ARCA rail, razor gen II and a proof competition contour.