• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

XBolt .300 WSM

Jethro80

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2011
North Texas
I'm looking to get the best results possible out of a rifle I already own. I have a Browning X Bolt in 300 WSM. My question is what can I do to this rifle to achieve hunting accuracy out to 500 yards and beyond? My shooting ability is pretty good prone on a bipod I'm just looking for suggestions on how to make this rifle perform a little better than factory.

Re: XBolt .300 WSM

Jethro, What's it shooting like now and with what ammo?

I ask because my Browning X-bolt in 7mm-08 shoots better than I can with handloads. It likes Speer for hunting bullets. I've yet to shoot match ammo through it.

Your gun is already glass bedded , free floated barrel with a target crown. Several of my friends own these guns as well and all are sub moa capable with hunting ammo.

Brett

Thanks for the reply Brett! I haven't really tested the true limits of my xbolt yet. I've taken a few deer with it and since ammo is a little expensive I haven't really put too much time behind the trigger. I did find a good deal on some ammo the other day and picked up a box of BVAC 180 gr. Grand Slam. I'm told it's a speer bullet and I'm not sure about the power it uses, but I'm anxious to give it a try. The price was $26 for 20 rounds. Previously I was shooting Winchester Bonded 180 gr and it was more like $40 a box! I'm going to spend some time with it in the next few weeks so we'll see after that. I'd really like to get into reloading and work up a great round for this rifle as there is limited offerings at the stores.

On another note I was unaware that my rifle is glass bedded! That is a definite plus. I could definitely use some better glass, but that will have to wait a while. Currently I'm using a Leupold VXII 3-9X40.

My buddy has a x-bolt in 300wm that I load for it is very accurate. It likes 168 or 180gr barnes ttsx bullets and a moderate charge of RE-22. It is sub moa at 100yds and he has shot a couple of very nice white tail deer between 200-300yds with great results. It will open up quick though if it is allowed to heat up.

Steel bedding an action into a stable stock platform will put a factory rifle into the best situation as far as accuracy goes. Solid scope mounts are also a pre-requisite. Once those two are accomplished, ammo is the last rung. Sounds like you might be good to go.

TC

I am trying some new loads in a few weeks and hopefully i will find out what I'm capable of doing. I'm afraid I will find that the top end of my magnification range will not support a shot as far as I would like to take.