• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns XD 45acp conversion to 40sw

hugo121175

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2009
Near Reading, PA
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to buy a barrel for my XD 45ACP 4" Service Model. I called Springfield, and they told me to check out Storm Lake Barrels. They make a 40S&W barrel that I can drop into my weapon and the weapon will function 100%. Have any of you used Storm Lake to convert your weapon? I'm just looking for a review.

Thanks,
Hugo

Re: XD 45acp conversion to 40sw

I think that there's a whole forum dedicated to this gun.
The 45 being larger than the 40 there might be issues w/ ejection.

There will be more problems than that. The breech face of the 45 is a lot larger than the 40. Also the 45 is longer and headspaces off the rim where as th 40 headspaces off the case mouth. I doubt a simple barrel swap will work. I have yet to see a 40 to 9 conversion that was 100% reliable and they are ver similar in size. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. I have used storm lakes barrels on different guns and they have been top notch and very plesant to shoot with the porting. I have never sent a gun to them though. I have never recieved a barrel that did not drop right in

I called Springfield, and they are the people who told me that I could do the swap without problem. With their reputation, I believe them. I was told that I can do a direct barrel swap to 357sig, or 40sw, but not 9mm....

Head space should not be a problem since the breach face is flat. Head space is a problem with recessed bolt faces. The recess will cause every bolt to be a different depth, but since the breach face is flat the head space depends on the barrel and manufacturer. This is how the smith at Springfield explained it to me......

I also own a Glock 22 that is a 40sw. I bought a 357sig barrel at a show for it. It runs 100%.

I was just looking for a review of Storm Lake barrels.....
wink.gif

Thanx,
Hugo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hugo121175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I called Springfield, and they are the people who told me that I could do the swap without problem. With their reputation, I believe them. I was told that I can do a direct barrel swap to 357sig, or 40sw, but not 9mm....[SNIP...]

I was just looking for a review of Storm Lake barrels.....
wink.gif

Thanx,
Hugo </div></div>

SA told you that you could just swap a .40S&W barrel into an XD-45 upper/slide and that it would work without any problems?!?! WOW!! That's a new one on me, but if the fine folks at SA okay'd it...go for it.

As for Storm Lake barrels...they are of very good quality. I have a Storm Lake match barrel in an XD-45 Tactical and after some minor fitting (I didn't get the drop in), it runs 100% and is very accurate.

For all things XD/XDm related...you should become a member <span style="color: #FF0000">HERE</span>. Lots of good folks and good information on the XD/XDm platforms.

A .40 barrel in a .45? Dont think it will work out.

Why not? I have a 357sig Barrel in my 40SW Glock.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A .40 barrel in a .45? Dont think it will work out.
</div></div>

357 sig is a necked down 40. Therefore, the breechface is exactly the same, as are the magazines. The only differences between a glock 22 and 31 are the barrel and markings.

45 acp is a rimless cartridge. It headspaces off the casemouth just like 9mm and 40.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hugo121175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not? I have a 357sig Barrel in my 40SW Glock.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A .40 barrel in a .45? Dont think it will work out.
</div></div> </div></div>

the .40 and .357 share the same case.....the breechface on .45 acp is larger,the extractor would barely touch the .40 case. and let's not forget the ejector, yeah it won't hit the .40 case either. take your .45 XD and remove the slide and put a .40 case on the breechface, it will become glaringly obvious then. I've checked this with my own .45 XD Tactical with a .357 SIG case when I was wondering a few years ago if it was worth pursuing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300winman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...the 45 is longer and headspaces off the rim...</div></div>

The 45 ACP headspaces of the rim???.......interesting.

Changing a 45ACP to 40 is sooooo wrong on soooo many levels!
eek.gif

I try to be of sterner stuff and ignore the rants and laments about the nation but if more good and decent citizens change their 45's I do fear for the future of this Republic!!!!