• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors XD45 Tactical

Warhawk

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2005
Texas
I recently picked up an XD45 Tactical. Have not had it to the range yet.

My question is, is it normal for this thing to require hurculean strength to rack the slide?

PICT0048.jpg

Re: XD45 Tactical

By the looks of it I would say it is used and modified. The recoil spring may have been changed for hotter loads which may explain more effort to operate the slide.

It's new, give it time to break in. The stock recoil spring is only 18 lbs.

The slide will get easier to pull the more you shoot it. Try this for some help.

BTW, it doesn't look modified to me. It should have the stock recoil spring in it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, it doesn't look modified to me. It should have the stock recoil spring in it. </div></div>

Is the texture job on the frame factory? Never seen a "factory" XD like that. I know it's an option from their custom shop but that would lead you to believe there's possibly been other mods as well. Either way, someone else said it "GYM".

My dad picked up an XD tatical and it is pretty stiff also. I put a 18lbs recoil spring in my HK USP and it was tuff just put about 150-200 +p rounds through it and it should be a lot easier.

My XD45 doesn't seem that hard to rack and I'm definitely not a gym rat. Now my Springer Pro 1911 is still a bitch to rack even with close to 1000 rounds through it.

Uhmmmmmm Yeah. Might wanna hit the gym. Its also a long slide to be pulling back too. I got one. The only thing I did is a trigger job from powder river precision. Just shortened the take up and overtravel. Accurate as I'll probably ever need it. Good gun I carry everyday

My girlfriend has one and she's never complained...........:)

XD's seem a little hard to pull back for people with weeker grip strength. I bought one for me father ( He's 67 next month and a hard worker / strong hands ) but age is starting to catch up to him, although he is no slouch. He still runs full length marathons and mini marathons. I had to buy him an H&K P-30 and he really likes it......Easier to pull slide back on the H&K...Hope this helps......SmokeRolls

Warhawk,

Is the gun new? The reason I ask is because I also have an XD Tactical only a month old, grips do not have the texture that yours does and I have no trouble with the slide.

Decal grips on the panels.......

So here we are a week later and Warhawk hasn't let us know if he's gotten the hang of it yet?

XD45's can be kinda stiff, but herculean strength required, no. Is the striker safety gacked up and hanging up the slide, or is it a smooth pull?

If it is to hard, just play around with the recoil springs, just make sure you don't adversely effect function. I would recommend that you get a trigger job done on it right away.

I have a 9mm running a #20 or #22 spring. when I drop the #22, it is a bear to work the action.

Matt

Lots of people put that grip tape, or the grip decals on their grips so that they're that texture on the middle of the grip. All of the XD's have the texture on the front and backstrap. When I first got my XD-45 Tactical, it wasn't easy to rack and was pretty stiff. My slide stop was VERY VERY stiff, but it got a bit more loose as I broke it in. Now it's not hard to use at all, and feels great.

There is something that the XD's do that alot of people aren't familiar with. You CANNOT rack the slide back unless the grip safety is depressed. It's supposedly a feature that they made to keep the pistol from going out of battery when you holster it. If you're holding the pistol in a different way from how you would shooting it; not holding the grip safety, you'll have HELL trying to rack the slide and still won't get it done (or will break something). This might be what is happening to you and when you shift the grip to push harder, you may be depressing the safety and getting it to go back. It could just be stiff like mine was when I first got it, but it could also be that you're not holding down the grip safety. Hope that helps.