• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors XD45 with 200gr LSWC feed problems

Strickland

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2003
Mansfield, Texas
I'm having problems with using a 200 gr LSWC in my XD45.

I've only shot 100 rounds of these that I loaded for my XD45, but I have had more hangups and FTF than any of the thousands of 9mm I have ever loaded.

Seems that with the majority of the hangups, the little squarish egdge would have a dent, like it is catching something.

Has anyone else experienced this? Solved this? Just don't use SWC with an XD?

Thanks

Re: XD45 with 200gr LSWC feed problems

Look at the feed ramp make sure theres not a bur on it. I have seen people feed swc's in autos but I would think cone/round nose bullets would feed better. If the feed ramp is not polished real smooth you may need to touch it up.

This is a 200gr RNFP. I am thinking of swapping to these.

45_LognClt.gif

The other choice is a 225 gr TC

45225TC.gif

Or a 230 gr RN

45230RNBB.gif

What's your cart. OAL? S/b no more than 1.245"
Chamber check your reloads to be sure the case mouth is closed up to chamber all the way.
Try some factory SWC loads and see if they work.
respectfully,
LG

If what lumpy girts says checks out. The other choices above do look like a better choice.

I can't remember what the OAL was exactly, but I do recall it was quite a bit shorter than the book was saying. I started by loading to what the book said (Speer). The round wouldn't chamber. I kept shortening until it would chamber. I want to say it was around 1.215 or 1.225.

had a friend with a xd 45 and the gun would not feed swc even the H&G 185gr we just ended up using round or T/C style bullets

Make sure the bullet isn't touching the inside of the slide stop. Some of the Remington hollowpoints do on my XD45.

My girlfriend has the xd45 compact and it will not feed SWC's. I've heard that from most guys who have them actually.

I had to switch my idpa bullets so she could practice as much as she wants and it eats 200GN RNFP bullets from precision bullets just fine.

I was having failures to extract when I shot 200 gr LSWC through my XD, but they would function fine with my 1911. I think there was not enough power to cycle the action, that is a stiff recoil spring on the XD. My loads were just under max so I haven't yet figured out what to do. Let me know how the RNFP works for you, and let me in on your recipe if you don't mind. Good luck.

Make sure they are long enough. If the band of the bullet is below the brass, the brass will catch when feeding.

I have never had a 1911 that wouldn't feed SWCs...and they don't even have ramped barrels. An XD should feed them.

I have since switched to the 230 grain round nose because it recoils lighter...but I shot thousands of 200 LSWCs through my Kimbers without issues.

My XD 45 tactical will not feed SWCs either. Tried different OALs and finally abandoned them and went for the RNs and it runs fine now.

I'm glad that I am not the only guy with SWC problems in a XD. Let's me know it's not my reloading prowess.

This is a well documented issue with the XD45. Check out the SA-XD forums for more detail. Some feed, most don't. SA has been aware of the problem since day 1.

I know 2 for 2 people with the same problem in their XDs. One shot himself in the arm because of it (long story).

My advice to you is dump the idea of LSWCs or lead of any kind in your XD.

My XD HATES wc's. I hear talk they just won't run. Something about the feed ramp and it's needing to be modded to run them....