• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors XD9 Tactical

skydive91

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Iowa City, Iowa
I am really considering buying one but before i do I am just curious what peoples opinions on them are. how reliable accurate and ect they are.

Re: XD9 Tactical

I strongly considered one when I bought my M&P9 Pro.

I have one that I shoot in USPSA Production division. I had a trigger spring fail at 15k rounds. Other than that it has been rock solid and is at 17k now. Note: I had a trigger job done so I don't know if that contributed to the failure or not.

I think XD's are great pistols for 200 bucks, that's what they cost when HS2000 was stamped on the slide, SA buys the rights to pistol and markets it as the XD, and the price went up 100% for word Springfield on it, same warrenty, same pistol, big price increase, buy something else.

I have had XD9s, .40s .45s and now two XDM .40s, I think they are a great pistol. Reliable as the Glock but a little better grip angle like the 1911.

I have an XD40. Nice toy, but that's as far as I'll go with plastic pistols.
1911 fever is always high though
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think XD's are great pistols for 200 bucks, that's what they cost when HS2000 was stamped on the slide, SA buys the rights to pistol and markets it as the XD, and the price went up 100% for word Springfield on it, same warrenty, same pistol, big price increase, buy something else. </div></div>

hit it on the head !!! buy a Glock...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hit it on the head !!! buy a Glock... </div></div>
Even worse ...

I really tried hard to like XDs and Glocks, really. That would have saved me a lot of money.
Unfortunately it just was a love not meant to be
grin.gif

I really think the XD has more in common with the 1911 than it does with a Glock.

Single action trigger + 1911 grip angle are excellent features on a double stack polymer pistol.

people that say these things know nothing.

glock, mp, and xd are all great guns.

find one of each and shoot then then decide yourself.

i have shot and owned all 3 and love things about each other the other. the only perfect pistol out there is a 1911 though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">people that say these things know nothing.

glock, mp, and xd are all great guns.

find one of each and shoot then then decide yourself.

i have shot and owned all 3 and love things about each other the other. the only perfect pistol out there is a 1911 though </div></div>

So a Glock, XD and an M&P are junk?

And trying guns out before you buy is stupid?

And just because someone has tried all 3 of them and still like the 1911 means they know nothing?

Huh, I would think just the opposite.

I love my XD9tac, XD40 service and XD9 service (suppressor host)

Uliamtely a handgun is a very personal choice, but anyone who says the XD series is anything other than rock solid reliable and very accurate prolly has little first hand experience with them.

On my XD9 tac I got a Springer Precision trigger job, which is excellent, but not really necessary. Stock triggr is pretty darn good. I also got a fiber optic front - VERY worth it. With this gun, I went from mid pack out of 20 shooters in IDPA competition, to placing 3rd out of 22.

Definitely shoot before you buy, if at all possible. IT makes all the difference. The Glock grip is horrible for me personally, and the XD works excellently for me. That's something only you can decide for you.

Good shootin', friend!

Didn't like the grip safety.

Parts are difficult (impossible) to get from Springfield - unlike Glock parts.

Saw a couple of the custom trigger jobs fail/break.

Sold mine.

get a xd/m or glock and you will be a happy man
and the 1911 or nothing attitude is the
reason why i don't own one

I love my XD-45 never had a problem with it. The grip is super comfortable. I only wish I would have picked up the XD-45(M)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikemike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I only wish I would have picked up the XD-45(M) </div></div>

There is no such thing...

I wasn't a fan of polymer guns until my department issued us G22's in 1998. Got a say, I like them, rugged, durable, and low, low maintenance. I now have three. 1911's are great, but the elitist shit is annoying.

I shot a regular XD9 Service model that a friend of mine has a couple times and they are a really nice gun, I have big hands so at times it seemed a bit small(sure it was just me) other than that all good.

1 shot they should call you 90 shots 0 hits with a pistol you dont own a 1911 because you cant shoot a pistol worth a shit plus it kicks to much for you. But for real stay with a good name go to a gun store feel all of them to see what fits your hand the best if you can rent one and see how it shoots I have shot them all love the 1911 own 2xds in 45 went to front sight with them fired 800 rounds out of them with no problem. Dont care for the glock to much hype i think but they are great pistols there is a reason police use them

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think XD's are great pistols for 200 bucks, that's what they cost when HS2000 was stamped on the slide, SA buys the rights to pistol and markets it as the XD, and the price went up 100% for word Springfield on it, same warrenty, same pistol, big price increase, buy something else. </div></div>

Couldn't disagree more, yes you pay for the name,but almost all companies are that way.I have not had any problems. and i own glocks,M&P's, S&W's, and a CZ. My XD's will always be top of my list in reliability, ease of shooting and quality after thousands of rounds through all of em. but what do i know i only have under 500 posts...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rgkeller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't like the grip safety.

Parts are difficult (impossible) to get from Springfield - unlike Glock parts.

Saw a couple of the custom trigger jobs fail/break.

Sold mine. </div></div>

There ya go, Bubba trigger jobs will break, don't know why ya don't like the grip safety, to each his own though. but DO NOT judge a pistols reliability on "CUSTOM"
whistle.gif
trigger jobs screwing up.and what parts have you need for the XD you sold? 5400k rounds through my xd45c im still good to go

not making a war here just don't see any justification in the flaming to me, personal preference is fine but saying its unreliable b/c a trigger job broke is ignorant. Plus you DO get what ya pay for IMHO.

I had and xd in 40 and like a retard double hoped a round it did hurt the gun but it did stay together sent it back to Springfield and they sent me a new kit pistol mags case and everything couldnt be happier with there cutomer service

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sapper12b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had and xd in 40 and like a retard double hoped a round it did hurt the gun but it did stay together sent it back to Springfield and they sent me a new kit pistol mags case and everything couldnt be happier with there cutomer service </div></div>

WTF?! LOL.... periods, commas and spellcheck are all your friends brother!

+1 on that.
The guns are actually $500 now.
Springfield jacked up the price $300 just for the cost of putting SPRINGFIELD ARMORY USA on the side. (with teeny letters saying "made in croatia" underneath)

But you can't blame them, they use some of the extra profit to help power their slick marketing machine: taking out multiple ads in every gun magazine and giving gunstores good margins to try and push their guns over glocks.

I carried a 1911 for about 10 years and the first time I picked up an XD-45 I was in heaven. The grip angle on the XD being the same as the 1911 and thicker than the 1911 it immediately felt perfect in my hand. The sites line up perfectly for me.

There's a guy by the name of Clint Smith who does a little teaching here and there who told me that in his opinion if Glock and the XD had come out at the same time that the Glock would never have gotten out of the gate.

I also have a friend who is SF who used my XD45 in a training class and ran about 1000 rounds through it in some combat simulations and it never even coughed and he loves it now.

Periods, commas and spellcheck are all over rated. Plus I’m just to damn lazy to give two shits about them!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sapper12b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">periods, commas and spellcheck are all over rated. Didnt know we had to use proper grammer. </div></div>
If you'd like to be understood by other SH readers, without forcing them to use an Enigma Cypher to decode your post, using proper English grammar and punctuation would certainly help.

Let’s not worry about my horrible grammar and help Skydive out is not what this is all about?

HotIce,
Your link is not working. How do they look? Does it seem to have any advantages over the polymer frame?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ohh, someone is trying to de-plastify the Glocks:

Alloy Frames for Glocks

Cheers to that!
</div></div>

I've seen one guy with one at a USPSA match shooting Limited. His ran okay. I have heard internet stories of them not running well, the manufacturer claims it's due to aftermarket parts and that they run well with Glock parts. I definitely think the CCF is a cool idea, though.

Springfield was selling their guns for $400 (dealer price) just a little over a year ago, complete with a certificate for 2 extra mags (total of 4), holster, mag pouch, case, and cleaning brush included. Guys were selling them on gunbroker for $420 and shipping. Too bad that price didn't last.

I bought the M&P, but it was damn close. I wish I'd bought the XD at that price. $420 for a reliable wonder nine with a 5" barrel, 4 mags, case, etc. is an exceptional value, even if the pistol is made in Croatia.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 1911's are great, but the elitist shit is annoying. </div></div>

NO doubt.

Frankly, its ignorant, and uneducated about firearms development post - 1900.

I call it the JMB cult.

That's just silly.

The price went up (in part) to actually have a warranty on the gun. YOU WANNA SEND YOUR GUN TO CROATIA TO GET IT FIXED? If you knew anything about marketing a product (which is NOT an evil thing to do, nor is making a profit) you'd know that warranty costs add SIGNIFICANTLY to ANY product. Its a REAL cost of doing buisness - even for companies with stellar reputations for reliability and product quality.

XD's cost more here cuz labor costs ALOT more here. Including things like workers comp coverage, and property taxes, etc.

XD's price is near $500 cuz other products of a similar quality are about $500. Its called "charging whatever the market will bear." And its as American as apple pie.

But thank you....for providing inspiration for my new sig line....

With all due respect, if the guns were still $200, I'd be glad to throw it away if it didn't work and buy another one. And if you don't want to send your gun off to get repaired, there are no parts available to repair it yourself. They're the cause of their own warranty claims in that department. At least I can get a slide stop or take down lever for my Glock if that breaks.

The price is an expected market response to the fact that their product is out there, people know about it, and are willing to pay Glock prices for it.

If S&W can use American labor to make an M&P and still sell it for $500, something is seriously wrong when SA expects to get $500+ for a pistol made in a third world country.

That's not meant to take anything away from the product at all, but the XD is way overpriced in the current market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

....but the XD is way overpriced in the current market. </div></div>

Whatever. You don't seem to understand what determines the price of a gun.

The XD is priced competetively (or better) than products of equal and lesser quality.

You are about the ONLY person I've EVER heard say the XD is overpriced. Even if Springfield could import them for $7 each, who cares? You are buying a gun that is of comparable quality to most any Glock, CZ, M&P, etc, which all retial near the same price as the XD.

You don't get to tell Springfield what the price "should be" other than by NOT buying it. Which is cool, cuz theres hundreds of thousands of folks lined up behind you that think its a great deal for the price.

If you think YOU can sell a gun of the XD's quality for $300, or $400 or whatever you think "should" be the price, STEP UP.

People will buy it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 1911's are great, but the elitist shit is annoying. </div></div>
NO doubt.
Frankly, its ignorant, and uneducated about firearms development post - 1900.</div></div>
Elitism? Ignorant? Uneducated even.
You've really got to love the openness to comments of the plastic gun community.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Elitism? Ignorant? Uneducated even.
You've really got to love the openness to comments of the plastic gun community.
</div></div>

Yes, yes and yes.

Most of the Tuppergun community sees the value and quality of the 1911. Most even own one, or several.

But theres tons of 1911 folks that cannot admit the technological advancements of the polymer gun. Can't even hardly get 'em to admit 14 rounds of 45 is better than 7 rounds. Nevermind the other functionality and durability of polymer.

What would you call that?

I call it a 1900's mentality, and an unwilligness accept progress and technology. If they were logically consistent, they be recommending our soldiers be deploying to Afghanistan issued a Garand. At least the Garand is 1930's tech.

You gotta love the plastic gun fan boys, when they get all grumpy when someone simply states that plastic-ware is not in their liking.
They even stomp the feet on the ground and say "yes, yes, yes" in a uniform and uncontrolled motion.

I don't always play with plastic guns, but when I do its XD's.
They just don;t seem to stay in the stable long.

1911Tupperware.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You gotta love the plastic gun fan boys, when they get all grumpy when someone simply states that plastic-ware is not in their liking.

</div></div>

Where did anyone do that?

Its certain elements 1911 crowd that flatly refuses to admit any value to the polymer guns, and thereby mislead folks like teh OP and his request for data.

The real question? Why can't the JMB cult just butt out when someone asks for info on a polymer gun? Answer: Cuz its a cult - they MUST ALWAYS evangelize for John Moses Browning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
They even stomp the feet on the ground and say "yes, yes, yes" in a uniform and uncontrolled motion.
</div></div>

Try reading more carefully, to comprehend the reason I responded "Yes, yes, <span style="color: #FF0000">and</span> yes." (Hint: I was responding to THREE SEPARATE points, answering affirmative for each.)

Sorry if such discussion is beyond your ability to comprehend. It was not my intent to make you feel badly about yourself. Please accept my apology.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sapper12b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL. Thats funny Sobr. </div></div>

Actually, the original subtitle was " 1911....making up for other inadequacies."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You gotta love the plastic gun fan boys, when they get all grumpy when someone simply states that plastic-ware is not in their liking.
</div></div>
Where did anyone do that?
</div></div>
You just did, by flagging as Ignorant and Uneducated, people that are not into the plastic-ware.
Plastic guns are dirt cheap to produce, and light. I'll give you that. But "Cheap" and "Worth The Money", do not always go together.
About the round count, you are aware of double stack 1911, aren't you? If packing 14-15 rounds really makes you feel any safer.
But the real problem is, if you aren't going to hit someone with 7-8 rounds, you're likely not going to have a better success with 14.
There's old evidence about how many rounds a civilian gun fight typically last. Go look it up by yourself.
Now tell us how you fine tuned your drill-like trigger to make a match one ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hotice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
But the real problem is, if you aren't going to hit someone with 7-8 rounds, you're likely not going to have a better success with 14.
There's old evidence about how many rounds a civilian gun fight typically last. Go look it up by yourself.
Now tell us how you fine tuned your drill-like trigger to make a match one ...
</div></div>

Bingo! If they don't go down with 3 center of mass hits, you have bigger issues.
I will say I have owned an XD-40 back when they first were marked as Springfields. I didn't enjoy the gun as much as I would have liked but that was more the doing of the light weight and the snappiness of the .40 than anything. I now own a USP-C 9mm and enjoy it immensely. However, if I had to choose from one of my pistols it is always going to be my Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded model. I am not an elitist. I just appreciate a superior weapon when I fire it. If you enjoy polymers, great. If you are going to purchase one, the XD would be a great choice. I have to agree with Clint Smith's observations on the XD and Glock. He is a fine instructor and I believe he has a partiality to 1911s. Some people just don't get it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

....but the XD is way overpriced in the current market. </div></div>

Whatever. You don't seem to understand what determines the price of a gun.

The XD is priced competetively (or better) than products of equal and lesser quality.

You are about the ONLY person I've EVER heard say the XD is overpriced. Even if Springfield could import them for $7 each, who cares? You are buying a gun that is of comparable quality to most any Glock, CZ, M&P, etc, which all retial near the same price as the XD.

You don't get to tell Springfield what the price "should be" other than by NOT buying it. Which is cool, cuz theres hundreds of thousands of folks lined up behind you that think its a great deal for the price.

If you think YOU can sell a gun of the XD's quality for $300, or $400 or whatever you think "should" be the price, STEP UP.

People will buy it.
</div></div>

Haha, are you really trying to tell an economics student how price is determined?

If you want to pay $500+ for a pistol made in a third world country, knock yourself out.

I think it was a great value at $420. It's a total rip off at $550. I don't own one. Perhaps that should be your clue about what I think (subjectively) about its relative value.

"Quality" doesn't determine price. Demand is determined by consumers' <span style="font-style: italic">willingness </span>and <span style="font-style: italic">ability </span>to pay. The supply curve is determined by the cost of production. Price and market-clearing quantity are the intersection point of the two.

My quantity demanded at $400 was at least 1, perhaps 2. My quantity demanded at $500+ is 0.

If I had connections, capital, and a third world factory full of labor to make a product like the XD, I'd be importing them and selling them for a much lower price than Springfield Armory is, and making a handsome profit. I don't, so you can continue to feed the corporatist machine, and not demand the level of value for your dollar that I do.

I have never said it's a bad product, because it's not. But it doesn't have the features that S&W can offer me at a similar price (stainless construction, CNC machine work design, ergonomic interchangeable backstraps, etc).

You're right about one thing, though. I like the gun, and I still didn't buy it. I paid more for my S&W (by my calculations, over 40% more). Considering the price premium for the 5" M&P is nowhere near that anymore, I've definitely revealed my preference.

Wow, I am just amazed at the comments here. It seems that there is a fraction of elitist asshole(s) that feel the need to ensure that all the users of this site can see how well they can interpret, analyze, and correct punctuation and verb-adjective agreement(s). I have found those that feel the continual need to correct (the spelling Nazi’s) the blogs written by others, are often just plain inferior folk. Ever noticed the guy in the unit, or office that has to correct everyone, they are most often the same guy everyone else calls a dipshit. Looks like there are a lot of dipshits in this topic, but that said; thanks for a functional understanding of the intellect level for those that fell compelled to correct (dipshit).
Now, to address the topic, I have two XD’s. One of which is a 40 subcompact, and a 45 compact. Neither firearm has had a burp, problem, or any issues. Both shoot well, and to my point of aim (as long as I keep my small finger pressure consistent).
As to the 45 cult, I shot many a 45 in the ARMY that never missed an opportunity to malfunction. To the argument about 7 rounds…blah, blah, blah, I say to those that use that argument “go get a derringer.” Personally, I use the short magazines with 10 rounds for the XD45 compact (‘cause sometimes you can shoot fast enough to miss).There is a reason that magazine capacity keeps going up. The good old metal and heavy 45’s are not dissimilar from many old, worn-out men, unchangeable in thought, and unable to adjust to new things. To those that cling to memories stronger to dreams, I say go grab your good ol’ 45 and tell me your lies.