• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Xlr carbon, proof research, pierce engineering build

Donavonc2000

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2013
Hello all, thought I would posts the results of my year long project inspired by others in this forum, thought it might be interesting to some.
I felt compelled to build a pack able .338. So I started by ordering a pierce engineering titanium long action with a .750 bolt (spiral fluted). Then I ordered a proof research 27" finish barrel based on a bartlien 5 r 1/10 blank. I then called Kyle at xlr and ordered a CIP/pierce inlet carbon chassis. My gun smith chambered the barrel .338 lapua improved and married all the components and here is the spec and results.

Pierce engineering titanium action .750
Proof research .338 bartlien 5r 27" barrel
Elk meadow performance titanium brake
Xlr carbon chassis
US optics 5-25 tpal with EReck
Jewel .5oz - 3lb set at 6 oz

After all the rifle is 12 lb 7oz with the Harris. I found this to be too lite. The recoil signature was significant and violent. The scope migrates the action screws wouldn't maintain tension basically all the fasteners would loosen after 10-15 rounds causing erratic accuracy results. So I red lock tight all the fasteners and as much as it killed me added 1.4lb of lead shot to the butt stock tube(13lb 14oz) now. This settled the rifle down considerably making it more comfortable to shoot. With the help of a very patient and skilled friend we were able to develop a quite successful load using 250 smks and 250 accubonds. I am pleased by these loads but I wish I could get the 300 gr smks or bergers to shoot but we seem at a dead end there. To much of an armature to figure out why. 100gr of h1000 and 250 accubonds produces a very low ES so we went with it. (3025 fps with a 8 fps ES). This load produced .416 moa at 100 and even better at 1000 the bc is defiantly not as good as the 300gr ers but I think I can stretch this load out to 1600 plus ok.
The one regret I have is obsessing on light weight only to have to add weight back in, but I am happy with the results. I bet this set up would kill it in .300 win. Any way, thought some of you would find this rifle interesting as I have found some of your rifles. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 37
I sent my 6.5-284 bbl in to Proof, and was happy with their work on wrappin it. That was my most accurate rifle.. I really miss it :(

Yeah I have three of their barrels, one chambered in 7saum one in .338Rum and this one. All seem to be shooters