• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

XLR Evolution Review

Apache

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2008
Chico, CA
First and foremost, I would like to thank Kyle at XLR Industries for his incredible customer service and dedication to putting out a great product.

Now on with the review.

After about a year of having my B&C Tactical Medalist, I found a need for something different. What started as a casual perusal of rifle stocks turned into a full blown need for something new and radical.

Low and behold I came upon XLR Industries through a posting on this site and fell in love. A couple months and a summer job later, I had enough cash and placed the order with Kyle. Again, cannot stress this enough, great customer service and incredibly easy to talk to.

Fast forward three weeks and I received the stock, along with an AICS 10 round magazine thrown in as an apology for a slightly longer build time than quoted (a couple days, which he then shipped out 2 day air to make up for, great CS or what!?).

Threw the whole thing together with ease, realizing my scope mount (EGW 20 MOA) was about 1" too long and would not pass the locking section for the forend. Quick trip to a saw and everything fell into place perfectly as it should.

Just an FYI, for those of you wondering, I'm running TPS Super-Low 30mm rings and they <span style="font-style: italic">just barely</span> cleared.

09041709.jpg

Went out to the range today, and the thing was incredible. Got several looks from other people at the range and explained all about where I got it from and the features.

Had a couple friends with me who had never shot rifles before so I started to teach them a little bit of what to do. Cycling the action on this rifle is now worlds better than the standard internal box mag. Mine always used to catch and scratch the hell out of my brass. This is no longer a problem, every time I cycle the action and put a round in the chamber, it's like butter.

09061449a.jpg

Newbie being taught
09061449.jpg

Heres a short vid of a three shot rapid fire at 150 yards:

Did have the joy of discovering why you need to press check when using mags though haha.

Newbie taking his first shot on a rifle, needs to keep his head down

09061457a.jpg

Overall, this stock was well worth the money. The construction, tightness, DBM system, and feel is simply put, stunning. I would highly recommend that anyone interested in a chassis system with an affordable DBM configuration check out the XLR stock.

I apologize for the poor quality videos, but it's all the cell phone could produce.

If I missed anything feel free to ask.

Re: XLR Evolution Review

All I can say is HUGE "+1"!
laugh.gif

Congrats!

wow someone should clean that range.

Nice stock seems everyone has great CS from kyle.

Had no idea these were ~$700
always figure "chassis"= $1000+

Looks like a great option when ditching plastic sps stocks. Also, modularity with no mess of gluing the action in, I like that.

You see your accuracy/form improve from the B&C?

wow ive been thinking of getting a new chassis for my htr and this might be it

My rifle is being built with an XLR chassis. I'm excited and can't wait to actually get it in my hands to play with her!

Sorry guys, I forgot I left out the specs of the rifle:

Remington 700 SPS-V in .308
ATI Strikeforce stock
TPS Super Low 30mm Rings
10x40 WoTac Scope
XLR Evolution stock
Harris Bipod BRM (non swivel) with PodClaws
EGW 20 MOA base (chopped about an inch shorter)

I worked full time all summer and sold my B&C in June so regretfully I did not go shooting at all until this weekend. Long bout of sadness in my life, haha. Since we did not have any quality ammo, we did not shoot groups, just a couple to sight in and then off to some disposable targets. But I will say, it was minute of taco bell taco sauce packets at 100 yards with cheap federal ammo.

I did do some longer range shooting out to 575 at some clay pigeons with success. I'm loading up some rounds this weekend with AMAX and Varget *first reloads ever* so we'll see how some better ammunition will do when I fire for groups.

I can say this, the feel of the rifle has changed, its much easier to load the bipod, and as you can see from the 3 shot video, the podclaws definitely did their job.

That really looks nice! Slim and trim. Do you have any idea how much your rifle weighs with the XLR? Did it make it lighter or heavier?

Nice looking rig!

Nice videos and congrats on your new stock.

Sorry for the delay, been busy with school. Fast forward a couple weeks and I'm still in love with the stock. It just feels great and although heavy, is still very comfortable. the bipod being so far forward I noticed is also a plus. I just reloaded some 168 Amax's so we'll see how those work out. And I promise to get some better videos up as well.

Awesome looking. May need to look into that stock.
Lee

I have one in .338LM that has a Magpul PRS stock... I will have pics up of it later this week...

I am adding a few things.. to make the stock fold... and a couple more rails...

Seems to be a very nice and well built stock..

Thanks,
Matt.

I'm looking for a stock for my new build and I was hoping that someone could answer a question for me. Is the XLR chassis heavy, balanced? How would you say it handles? I actually have the barreled action and its really barrel heavy so I was hoping that the XLR might be "back" heavy and balance the whole thing out a little. Also, what do you think about the XLR rear stock? Is it robust and solid? Thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Jeo, the weight of our stocks vary on your action used. Each chassis is specifically made for its own particular action. The most common setup is the Remington 700 SA setup with DBM and the longer 14 inch handguard. This setup weighs 3 pounds 15 ounces. The balance point of this setup is in the back of the trigger guard slot or right at the rear action screw. You can add weight to the rear of this stock by using a larger bag rail and/or using balast in the hollow buffer tube.

I know this does not mean as much coming from me but I built the butt stock to be very rigid. I shoot it off of all my larger rifles with great results. I never notice any flex or movement. My cheytac did take a pretty nasty fall a few weeks back and the butt stock held up just fine. The nice thing about this butt stock is its adjustability. You can adjust the height of the recoil pad, the angle of the recoil pad, LOP, and cheek weld height.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

-Kyle ~ XLR Industries

XLR, Would you build this out of 7075-T6 and if so, how much would it cost? Also, on the reciever, could you do any customizing such as changing the horizontal fluting, ie. make it a large one instead of the two? Is it possible to add a Viking Tactics VTAC modular handgaurd system? Finally, how much support does the magazine slot provide the mag compared to an AI AICS, Badger M5, KMW- Sentinel bottom metal? Very interesting stock! Thanks

Polytrauma

I am about to start my first bolt gun build and the XLR is looking pretty good. I was wanting an AICS or an A5, but this seems like real contender, and aesthetically it's a lot like the more contemporary chassis coming out, e.g., the Remington MSR, and the AW AX series. I still don't know if I'm sold on the look, but from a cost/feature standpoint, it's hard to ignore.

My main question is, what are the options for mounting slings? And is there any way to get a version that will fold and accommodates the anti-rotation dowel for AR stocks, I've got the Magpul PRS in mind... What are the options for customizing the look or adding features?

westford, we can add as swivel stud to your butt stock per request when you order. All our chassis come with a swivel stud on the hand guard. The geometry of the bolt guns does not allow us to use butt stocks with the anti-rotational dowel without modifying them. If you would like a PRS, we can do the mods for you no charge.

You can view our web site for available options. Thanks, Kyle ~ XLR Industries

Just to give everyone a heads up.

I talked to Kyle yesterday after emailing back and forth all day.

He is GREAT to deal with and VERY prompt in answering questions.

Kyle,

Thank you for all the help yesterday. It was my absolute PLEASURE doing business with you.

Thanks
Matt M. (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Nice Apache, looks really good man!

Holla the next time you guys are headed up to the range.

-Pat

I don't own a XLR chassis, YET. But I have to comment on Kyle's awesome customer service. I've been "kicking tires" on th XLR for some time now via PM's here on the hide as well as personal email. Kyle has answered all questions promptly and even gone out of his way to take some photos for me that I'm sure he didn't have laying around to answer(graphically) one of my questions. If you aren't already convinced that Kyle's aim is to completely please the customer, believe it.

If the chassis is half as good as the CS this has to be one great system.

Kyle, thanks again for humoring my newb questions and not treating me like the knuckle-head I am.

FYI...I have no affiliation with XLR and usually do not go out of my way to compliment companies but I made an exception to plug XLR if that tells you anything.

He_Shoot_Me, I'm going out to oroville on Sunday around 1-2ish, going to try out those Amax's I loaded up, should be bringing a newbie out there as well to try and get him hooked. I'll be pretty easy to spot, mostly because I'm the only one that shoots off the ground and has this rifle haha.

Still completely satisfied. One thing I have noticed though, I can only load 8 rounds into my 10 round Morta mag before it gets too tight to fit in the mag well, it will fit if I jam it in there, but takes a significant amount of effort. I'll keep fiddling with it and see if i can get it to loosen up a bit.

And I completely agree with the statements provided above, Kyle is a real pleasure to deal with and a stand up business owner.

Just finished my xlr build. This is the most comfortable i have ever been behind a stock. My positional shooting has improved greatly. Kyle has great c.s. The design is very rigid and the mag system works great. Also this stock is fairly light weight for what it is. Highly recommend!

anyone have a handson comparison between t=the XLR and a McCree stock?