• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

XLR folding adapter

danr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2006
s. texas
Opinions from users of the xlr push button folding adapter. Thinking of installing one on my envy pro/C6 butt stock to fold it out of the way for cleaning. I did a search but didn’t really find “reviews”. Thanks

Are you asking about lockup? Or what specifically? They’re pretty much entirely adjustable which is nice.

One thing I would mention is that you need to get the shorter LOP stock to compensate for the added length of the mechanism, otherwise it’s gonna be really long.

Overall, it’s not the best design I’ve ever seen and there’s no positive “lock closed” outside of the folding tension, but in general they’re fine.

Reactions: danr
Yep I understand they lock up pretty well. I’m happy with the fixed setup just seems convenient to get the stock out of the way for cleaning. The handle on my cleaning rod won’t clear the cheek piece (adjusted all the way down). Just wanted to hear some thoughts from those who’ve used them. Thanks

They work well. There are enough set screws in it to lock it up pretty well when extended.

They are also reversible, so you can have it fold either left or right.

The old version wasn't great. It could over fold and allow the buttstock to touch the receiver/chassis. I don't think they had a detent either.

The current version is nicer design and fixes those above problems. It doesn't lock folded though. If you planned to always keep it extended and just fold when cleaning, then it would work fine.

They work well. There are enough set screws in it to lock it up pretty well when extended.

They are also reversible, so you can have it fold either left or right.

The old version wasn't great. It could over fold and allow the buttstock to touch the receiver/chassis. I don't think they had a detent either.

The current version is nicer design and fixes those above problems. It doesn't lock folded though. If you planned to always keep it extended and just fold when cleaning, then it would work fine.
Finally found one and installed. Pretty freaking nice. Locked in you don’t even know it’s there. And will fit into a 40” soft case now 👍
IMG_8199.jpeg
IMG_8198.jpeg

Looks like they stepped up the game on these. I had one over 10 years ago, although they locked up tight, no lock on opening and had to use a bungee to hold against the rifle and a pad as it hit the side. Cheekpiece looks nice on the new one, I recall asking and received a stock pad from Wiebad which became a production item. Good to see improved product!

Yep I understand they lock up pretty well. I’m happy with the fixed setup just seems convenient to get the stock out of the way for cleaning. The handle on my cleaning rod won’t clear the cheek piece (adjusted all the way down). Just wanted to hear some thoughts from those who’ve used them. Thanks
Are you able to remove the cheek piece easily upward to clean? How have you been cleaning without the folder? Was thinking of replacing a TR-2 with one of these. Is it still worth having without the folder or is cleaning too much of an inconvenience?

Are you able to remove the cheek piece easily upward to clean? How have you been cleaning without the folder? Was thinking of replacing a TR-2 with one of these. Is it still worth having without the folder or is cleaning too much of an inconvenience?
The cheek piece is easily removed along with the butt stock and they do need to be removed as in my case before installing the folding adapter, the handle of my cleaning rod would not clear the cheek piece. My only concern was losing the adjusting wheel which will swing freely once the cheek piece/butt stock is removed and seems to be held by a very small ball bearing for the detents. I avoided this happening by wrapping the the wheel once with masking tape to hold it while cleaning. Absolutely doable without the folder but considering the solid lock up of the adapter I felt being able to fold the stock out of the way was convenient and worth the cost.

These do not like up tight like the KRG, MDT, or factory Sako TRG 22-A1 stocks I’ve had. When extended there is some wobble. It’s annoying and something I don’t like on a precision rifle although once behind the gun, the little slack would be removed. There is no adjustment either like what has been mentioned. It’s the the worst folder I’ve handled yet. AK47 side folders folders lock up tighter. I don’t like that it doesn’t lock closed either. XLR could at least made it where the detent is enough to hold it closed under it’s own weight. They did not.

I’m not saying not to get it and that it isn’t usable, but understand all others are better and expect some play in it. It’s a $50 folding mechanism priced at $150.

Edit to add:
@danr made me aware adjustments this thing has. This solved the issues I had. I like the thing now.

Last edited:
These do not like up tight like the KRG, MDT, or factory Sako TRG 22-A1 stocks I’ve had. When extended there is some wobble. It’s annoying and something I don’t like on a precision rifle although once behind the gun, the little slack would be removed. There is no adjustment either like what has been mentioned. It’s the the worst folder I’ve handled yet. AK47 side folders folders lock up tighter. I don’t like that it doesn’t lock closed either. XLR could at least made it where the detent is enough to hold it closed under it’s own weight. They did not.

I’m not saying not to get it and that it isn’t usable, but understand all others are better and expect some play in it. It’s a $50 folding mechanism priced at $150.
Solid lock up on the adapter I received. Others have commented earlier versions weren’t great but I can’t imagine what more I should expect as this unit has zero play when extended. And as per the instructions I was able to tune the lock up and the swing tension when folding/extending. There is no lock mechanism when folded as mentioned which would have been nice yet this adapter stays put when folded for cleaning so no issues there. I thought $150 was a bit high but I was more concerned with the lock up when extended and the butt stock feels as solid as before I installed the adapter. I have no experience with earlier versions and this is my first chassis and am very pleased with what I received.

My whole post may be irrelevant. I didn’t adjust anything on the folding adapter. I just looked up the installation instructions on XLR website and saw what you described. It will be a bit but when I get the chance to fool with that thing I’ll report back. I may have to edit that post #9 and put a egg on my face disclaimer at the end. :ROFLMAO:

Solid lock up on the adapter I received. Others have commented earlier versions weren’t great but I can’t imagine what more I should expect as this unit has zero play when extended. And as per the instructions I was able to tune the lock up and the swing tension when folding/extending. There is no lock mechanism when folded as mentioned which would have been nice yet this adapter stays put when folded for cleaning so no issues there. I thought $150 was a bit high but I was more concerned with the lock up when extended and the butt stock feels as solid as before I installed the adapter. I have no experience with earlier versions and this is my first chassis and am very pleased with what I received.
I’ll eat crow. I made adjustments to the stock I didn’t know were there. It locks up nicely. Thanks