• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Xm-3 Build

FUNCTIONAL

Dirty Civilian
Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2012
    Eastern, NC
    Was looking for another USMC rifle i could use my Fa762ss on and the Xm-3 popped up. Seems to be the stepchild of the USMC rifles and wanted to have the oddball in my collection so off we went!

Picked up a nice stainless action from a hunting forum for a steal that already hsd the bolt knob conversion. Sent her off to LRI to have the double radius ejection port and clip slot done (excellent as always) and off we went. Used some badger parts in place of the titanium pieces that are a 1:1 match minus material. Also built it after one of DARPA's test rifles that used a Badger M5 dmm instead of the M4. I use all my builds in competitions so i was pumped to keep it "spec" and get the dbm.

Stainless r700sa opened up to 1.070
    Hart XM-3 profile in 10 twist 308
    Badger .315 stainless lug
    Badger 306ux lugged base
    Tuned walker trigger (2lb break)
    Mcmillan A1-3 w/witchta swivels (had them move the front swivel back 2" to clear bipod. Oversight on DARPA)
    Badger m5
    Nightforce steel rings (steel was test rifle spec, ultralite was final issued)
    Nightforce nxs 3.5-15x50 moa (went ffp, same look, better function)
    Surefire CA762SSAL/RE flash hider
    Surefire fa762ss suppressor
    Harris 6-9 brm-s
    Turner aws sling olive (not pictured)

Holland oversized firing pin/spring I added to keep cratering to a minimum. I plan to sling 200 class bullets in open class and wanted to make sure it could handle the abuse better.

All work minus the lug slot/ejection I do myself...part of the fun. Still needs paint (hardener dried up on me and i didn't catch it until i went to go paint). Also need the unobtanium UNS mount. Had a contact here on the hide who flaked out so i have a guy who will machine one for me or PVA expressed interest in making a run if I got enough interest. I made some dwgs off a legit sample so ill be sending Josh the print and see what we can do. If you are interested in one let me know.

20200229_131801.jpg
    20200228_071633.jpg
    20200303_081406.jpg

Beaut. How long is the barrel?

I really want to do one...

And yes Im interested in the unobtanium mount.

THanks!
    DT

Very Functional.

Someone sold 7 TBA scope mounts in the PX this week for $500.

They had to be steel not TI but still I think they would fill the clone look especially with the TBA markings.

One guy bought them all and I'm guessing they will be on XM-3 builds.

Beaut. How long is the barrel?

I really want to do one...

And yes Im interested in the unobtanium mount.

18.5" (overall, not the M40 series version) for the lords caliber to reach ford pinto speeds. I'll put you on the list also then! If its too few for PVA (which I suspect it will be) I may see if the local machinist here is willing to do a few other than mine. I'm capable, just dont have the machine accessible unfortunately.

And do it...just the way it handles in dry fire I can tell its going to be a favorite for sure. I'm going to run it at the Guardian match in April and see how she handles in actual practice.

Very Functional.

Someone sold 7 TBA scope mounts in the PX this week for $500.

They had to be steel not TI but still I think they would fill the clone look especially with the TBA markings.

One guy bought them all and I'm guessing they will be on XM-3 builds.

I wonder if those were the mounts LRI was selling in steel and he just resold at an up charge.

18.5" (overall, not the M40 series version) for the lords caliber to reach ford pinto speeds. I'll put you on the list also then! If its too few for PVA (which I suspect it will be) I may see if the local machinist here is willing to do a few other than mine. I'm capable, just dont have the machine accessible unfortunately.

And do it...just the way it handles in dry fire I can tell its going to be a favorite for sure. I'm going to run it at the Guardian match in April and see how she handles in actual practice.

I wonder if those were the mounts LRI was selling in steel and he just resold at an up charge.

Possible. Think he sold all for $500.

I'd think individually, to someone interested in a clone, they would be $175 each.

I sold the rails earlier this week, I have several more, just not new ones. The ones I have left are all 4 digit (last 4 of the serial number) stamped from a few L/E XM3 rifles that were built. They are all stamped on the underside of the rail just in front of the recoil lug. Basically the portion that extends over the barrel shank. Should anyone have an interest in one of these, I could be talked out of them. Please know, these were on L/E xm3 builds. Yes, the XM3 package was available to L/E agencies. 52 total rifles went to the USMC. Pm me if you have interest in a base.

you have a nice rifle sir!! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Took the ole girl out for her maiden voyage. Took some of my M40a5 loads (44.1gr IMR 4064, 175 RDF .060" off lands, win brass) to "break in" the barrel before I get into load development. Extremely pleased with the results considering this is not a load tuned for this gun and rounds 2-60. Groups are a mix of suppressed and unsuppressed

Gotta say, recoil is a bitch without the suppressor, like feel my organs shifting. Granted this is shooting from a bench (quite the fudd range). Betting 99.8% this will be shot suppressed only.

Going to work up a load and test these 4 bullets. I have quite a plethora of RDFs but would ideally like to work loads up for the 208ELDM and one of the tac legal bullets.

EDIT: I have a stock pack coming from Triad thats probably the best match to the Eagle I can find until I get a legit one. I could use close to an inch to get a proper cheek weld.

20200307_125115.jpg
    20200307_125038.jpg
    20200307_125137.jpg
    20200307_145544.jpg
    20200307_161909.jpg

I’ve got the green...you will need a seam ripper though...

What did the laminated card taped to the bench say?

some nonsense about any large caliber rifles (223 mind you is considered large) have to be shot from the bench only (no prone, standing). All targets have to be stapled to the BOTTOM of the target stands, nothing above mid height because it erodes the vegetation on the berm and he has to rent machines to fix it.

I asked how a bullet skipping off the ground doesnt get flung up...he just said below mid line, those are the rules.

Like I said...Fudd range. 2 shots fast only, no appendix draw, no AR pistols, needs to see paperwork for SBRs and suppressors before you can use them (argued ATF is the only agency that needs to see them, he told me I could leave).

Its convenient and cheap for a full day...only reason I still go there 2 or 3 times a year.

some nonsense about any large caliber rifles (223 mind you is considered large) have to be shot from the bench only (no prone, standing). All targets have to be stapled to the BOTTOM of the target stands, nothing above mid height because it erodes the vegetation on the berm and he has to rent machines to fix it.

I asked how a bullet skipping off the ground doesnt get flung up...he just said below mid line, those are the rules.

Like I said...Fudd range. 2 shots fast only, no appendix draw, no AR pistols, needs to see paperwork for SBRs and suppressors before you can use them (argued ATF is the only agency that needs to see them, he told me I could leave).

Its convenient and cheap for a full day...only reason I still go there 2 or 3 times a year.

Yea fuck that place

As much as some people's rules suck and are unknowing, it is his place of business and I respect that. Had a guy move out from Chicago to N. Idaho. He stated all Illinois laws were Federal. I told no they weren't. But, it is his place of business and he can lay down the rules as he sees fit. He kicked me out. I never wasted a chance to say what he did. He couldn't even stay in business as a pawn shop in N. Idaho with an FFL. What an idiot.

As to the XM-3 good luck with it. It's a really cool build! I do think the 44.1 gr. behind a 175 SMK is a bit on the hot side. But, if you like the way it's shooting, keep at it. When I load for .308 with 175's and 4064 I'm more in the 42 gr. range. More drop and drift, but consistent. And I really do like 4064. Especially the new Enduron Technology IMR 4064.

Resurrecting this thread. @FUNCTIONAL that's a beauty man. I watched the 2009 international sniper comp (Top Sniper II) last night which i hadn't seen in years. XM3 popped up and i had completely forgotten about that rifle. Then suddenly had a hankering for a XM3 or keep it stupid simple 308.

What's the weight on that build with Hart's XM3 contour? Also how's your velocity? It's been a minute since i loaded for 308. Sold mine a long while back (whishing i had kept that 700 5R now). With new powders like 2000mr and bullets rocking BCs in 6mm/6.5 range like the 180gr Elite hunter it has me really wanting one. What are you getting with 175/180s? 2500 or so?

Resurrecting this thread. @FUNCTIONAL that's a beauty man. I watched the 2009 international sniper comp (Top Sniper II) last night which i hadn't seen in years. XM3 popped up and i had completely forgotten about that rifle. Then suddenly had a hankering for a XM3 or keep it stupid simple 308.

What's the weight on that build with Hart's XM3 contour? Also how's your velocity? It's been a minute since i loaded for 308. Sold mine a long while back (whishing i had kept that 700 5R now). With new powders like 2000mr and bullets rocking BCs in 6mm/6.5 range like the 180gr Elite hunter it has me really wanting one. What are you getting with 175/180s? 2500 or so?

It's a very under rated gun in my opinion. I'll have to check on ther Weight but I'm going to guess the 14 to 15lb mark. Its actually become my brother in laws new favorite hunting rifle since I loaned it to him... haven't seen it since rifle season opened 😂.

I was pulling 2670 with a 175 RDF and imr 4064 in the middle of a NC summer. Was about the limit of pressure so I'd say 2600 would be reasonable on the upper end. I haven't played with powder simply because I haven't had time but i plan to hit it again this spring.

Even if you don't build a clone it's very easy to replicate the feel/ function. Aside from the damn NV bridge it's a very simple build.

Even if you don't build a clone it's very easy to replicate the feel/ function. Aside from the damn NV bridge it's a very simple build.
    Im thinking the surefire brake and can are going to unobtainable until school is over. I thought about cutting it at 16.5”, running my 30CB9 will almost look virtually the same. Then try and push the new 169gr smk at 2600. But then again if i ever wanted the rifle itself to be clone correct or near it i figure i might ought to leave it at 18. I know I’ll never run that NXS. I’d be more akin to put a 4-16x50 ATACR on it.

Im thinking the surefire brake and can are going to unobtainable until school is over. I thought about cutting it at 16.5”, running my 30CB9 will almost look virtually the same. Then try and push the new 169gr smk at 2600. But then again if i ever wanted the rifle itself to be clone correct or near it i figure i might ought to leave it at 18. I know I’ll never run that NXS. I’d be more akin to put a 4-16x50 ATACR on it.

Idk how I managed but I called surefire and they sold me the brake version. The flash hider version youll have to find on the used market and they are semi hard to find even in good times. You could make it shorter and the 9" can should look about the same. If you ever go clone correct youd have to get the barrel turned down for the correct brake anyway.

I cheated and did an F1 nxs. Same exact look just better function. Glass is good and when you can find them you can snag em for 1200-1400 ish. But again if you agree going for the fiction and feel anything similar will work very well.

Idk how I managed but I called surefire and they sold me the brake version. The flash hider version youll have to find on the used market and they are semi hard to find even in good times. You could make it shorter and the 9" can should look about the same. If you ever go clone correct youd have to get the barrel turned down for the correct brake anyway.

I cheated and did an F1 nxs. Same exact look just better function. Glass is good and when you can find them you can snag em for 1200-1400 ish. But again if you agree going for the fiction and feel anything similar will work very well.
    I want to go clone correct but by the time i can actually drop 2000 on a FA762SS it might very well be too late. I kinda like the idea of short as i can go also. But again could leave it 18 and if ever do go clone correct get it turned from there for the brake.

I’m about to order an A1-3 i think. Has me a little worried that McMillan has changed hands. I’m sure there will be mainstays but you just never know

Reactions: FUNCTIONAL
    If the FA762SS wasn’t 1800 lol I’d be all over it

I know this will sound nuts but $1800 isn’t too bad a price on those. I paid $1950 shipped for mine a few years back. That said, it’s an awesome suppressor, quiet and very well built.

I know this will sound nuts but $1800 isn’t too bad a price on those. I paid $1950 shipped for mine a few years back. That said, it’s an awesome suppressor, quiet and very well built.
    It’s a little nuts but not outside of the realm of how good surefire thinks of themselves. However it just simply isn’t feasible right now for me. Give me a year and a half to finish dental school and i wouldn’t hesitate.

I do wonder though how is the balance. 19oz can it’s sure to be front heavy.

My suppressor guy didn't know what I asked for and only charged me $1400 out the door. I convinced him to buy out his supplier and I'd advertise it for him. afterwards he sold out in like 2 weeks at 1700. Hes made sure to go the extra mile anytime I need something now haha.

Ill check balance point with and without. Shooting off obstacles ive never felt it unbalanced. With how short the barrel is it doesn't throw the balance like it does in my 25" m40a5. The A5 you notice the differences.

Reactions: nn8734 and 5RWill
    It’s a little nuts but not outside of the realm of how good surefire thinks of themselves. However it just simply isn’t feasible right now for me. Give me a year and a half to finish dental school and i wouldn’t hesitate.

I do wonder though how is the balance. 19oz can it’s sure to be front heavy.
    I’ll echo @FUNCTIONAL ’s comments in that on the M40A5 it makes the rifle noticeably front heavy. That said, it’s not an issue unless you are shooting off a barricade with the majority of the rifle in front of the pivot point. Shooting from a tripod with hog saddle, it’s not noticeable.

On shorter weapons like the XM3 it’s not as big a deal regardless of shooting position.

FUNCTIONAL, wish I knew your guy when they were available at $1700.00. At $1400, wow - friggin awesome score.

Reactions: 5RWill
    I was just curious because i spec'd a 18" 6.5x47 on a TL3, in an EH1 dbm minichassis, with my SN-3 and K318i at times. Put the 30cb9 on it and it was wieldy but very front heavy. Borderline unbalanced for the sake of weight reduction.

I had given thought to griffin OTB if the surefire stuff is unobtainable.

I was just curious because i spec'd a 18" 6.5x47 on a TL3, in an EH1 dbm minichassis, with my SN-3 and K318i at times. Put the 30cb9 on it and it was wieldy but very front heavy. Borderline unbalanced for the sake of weight reduction.

I had given thought to griffin OTB if the surefire stuff is unobtainable.

I'll be able to give you a balance and weight in early feb but I don't recall it ever feeling very tip heavy. The barrel profile is lighter than an mtu/m24, tapers faster to work with the UNS mount. If you call up Hart and tell em you want the xm3 contour they will get you squared away and their lead times were about 6 weeks. Can throw on a badger efr for the same look if you aren't doing a clone build.

I looked into thr griffen otb before my SF for the same reasons but stumbled onto mine. I have a brake and flash hider for the griffen otb if you go that route. Give you a good deal.

I'll be able to give you a balance and weight in early feb but I don't recall it ever feeling very tip heavy. The barrel profile is lighter than an mtu/m24, tapers faster to work with the UNS mount. If you call up Hart and tell em you want the xm3 contour they will get you squared away and their lead times were about 6 weeks. Can throw on a badger efr for the same look if you aren't doing a clone build.

I looked into thr griffen otb before my SF for the same reasons but stumbled onto mine. I have a brake and flash hider for the griffen otb if you go that route. Give you a good deal.
    I might just do that. I PMd RWS. It appears surefire isn't making the FA762SS anymore. So the griffin might be the only thing left to look clone correct at least. Or cutting it at 16.5" and running what i have. It's looking more and more like both those products wont be around haha.

I absolutely love XM-3 goodness 😊

I don't have the funds to throw at one right now, but maybe some day.

What I can say is that I TOTALLY understand the concept. I recently built a hunting rifle for my son (his first centerfire.)

There was nothing available from any manufacturer in the spec I wanted so I built it. The end result is 4 inches cut off the back of the stock and recoil pad reattached to fit his length of pull. I then swapped the .223 bolt for a .308 bolt. The barrel I installed was originally a 24 inch 6.5cm varmint contour. I had my gunsmith (toygunner on here) cut to 16.5 inches and rethread. I mounted a lightweight leupold scope and threw on my 9 inch form1 can.

Zeroing in this rifle was an awesome experience. It got dark on me and I was fortunate enough to be somewhere where the target was illuminated with lights. When I was shooting at night for the first time ever suppressed I immediately thought of the XM-3. Now if I only had NV and/or thermal....

All I can say now = I AM NOW ADDICTED TO SHORTIES!!!

If we only had a way to get feedback from all of the guys who used them.........

The XM-3 with NV and a suppressor = one DEADLY setup that I'm sure was appreciated more than words can describe when compared to other longer and non-suporessed setups of thay era.

I wanted to give a little love to the XM-3 with my version with the badger M5 bottom metal or the version that never made is to market but in the eyes of many, was the version that should have been. Parts are to spec, Hart, IBA-mount, CMP-EFR, SF flash hider, PVS-22, stainless S## Rem action, Mil Spec NF, the FA762SS is owned - not pictured. I also have the sling, cheek pad and most of the parts kit.

Only item that isn’t is the trigger is not a Walker by personal preference. Could be easily installed though any day.

Currently having a second one being built with the original bottom metal and another with a modernized version with the newer McMillan A1-3 stock and chambered in 6.5cm so I can still use the SF can on it.

IMG_3685.jpeg

Last edited:
    I wanted to give a little love to the XM-3 with my version with the badger M5 bottom metal or the version that never made is to market but in the eyes of many, was the version that should have been. Parts are to spec, Hart, IBA-mount, CMP-EFR, SF flash hider, PVS-22, stainless S## Rem action, Mil Spec NF, the FA762SS is owned - not pictured. I also have the sling, cheek pad and most of the parts kit.

Only item that isn’t is the trigger is not a Walker by personal preference. Could be easily installed though any day.

Currently having a second one built with the original bottom metal and a modernized version with the newer McMillan A1-3 stock and chambered in 6.5cm so I can still use the SF can on it.

View attachment 8213299
    Couldn’t agree more which is why i did the same haha.
    IMG_1557.jpeg

Winning!!! You need an EFR on that one now. Good thing LRI is starting up reproductions for those in need of parts.
    I was one of the first to preorder haha. It’s on my bench. Just need to get it installed