• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

XM-3 Rifle??

Onemoretime

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2007
San Diego, CA
Is anyone really using this thing??

Doesn't make sense to me that the US Military would use it. I mean the Marines would just build their own at Quantico the Army could have AMU build theirs.

I mean the package makes sense but it wouldn't make sense for the military to out source it.

Some of the shit from this article is retarded....
http://www.deathfromafar.com/info/precision%20shooting_xm3.pdf

Re: XM-3 Rifle??

There are a few units that are using but those units are far and very few between. Our unit had those on our last deployment. None of the snipers used them at all. The other guys in the platoon just shot it at the range and with not very good results. Too many things wrong with it. Im not going to get into detail with it right now. I would never take it out a mission. Nothing to me beats the M40a3 built by our gunsmiths. Nobody would trust anything else but the M40a3.

I know the platform works.

LL, has it well documented on here. If, PWS built one I'm sure it would work well.

lack of information about the NFs since we are used to the SB, our unit didnt have any problems out of them. They shot great for us, we took the SB off a couple 40s that werent being used and threw them on the XM3 and off we went

The price is an issue for one, just like hes selling the USMC Comm receivers for that damn price ($950).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The price is an issue for one, just like hes selling the USMC Comm receivers for that damn price ($950). </div></div>
Kinda in line w/ the "return" stocks!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
http://www.deathfromafar.com/info/precision%20shooting_xm3.pdf </div></div>

what sounds retarded about the article?????????? </div></div>

The entire article sounds like a sales pitch.... Some people have said yadda yadda yadda, and to that we say blah blah blah.

Saying FFP is not the way to go, 2nd focal plane is much better because of X, Y, Z...

You don't need a mag fed bolt gun because snipers should only shoot 1 or 2 rounds and then move, BUT if you want a Det mag system you can easily mod the system.... etc.

Theres only so much you can do to a rem700 action and a barrel,The mcmillian stock is no more than $625,the price of the XM3 from IBA is freaking outrageous!!I built a copy for roughly $3500 with all new parts including new nightforce scope and professional gunsmithing.theres a yoututbe video showing 2 Marine snipers enaging insurgents one with a Barrett and the other has an XM3 but the Nightoforce scope is broken at the ocular lens.I cant seem to find it at this time though.

I handled two at an armory in Iraq in late 2008, both were sent in to have the NF's replaced with S&B's.

Seemed like a solid rifle, and unfortunately, I don't have the background as to why the scopes were being replaced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The following paragraph for starts, but this has been covered in other threads:

Using M40A1, M40A3, and M24 sniper rifles as standards to test against, the XM3 shot straighter under every condition. When being tested for safety and accuracy beyond 1000 yards, by Crane Naval Weapons Station, the XM3 out-shot all of the .308 (7.62 NATO) rifles, including those listed above, and at those extreme ranges, the XM3 rifles equaled the accuracy performance of the .300 Winchester Magnums being used as standard test weapons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The following paragraph for starts, but this has been covered in other threads:

Using M40A1, M40A3, and M24 sniper rifles as standards to test against, the XM3 shot straighter under every condition. When being tested for safety and accuracy beyond 1000 yards, by Crane Naval Weapons Station, the XM3 out-shot all of the .308 (7.62 NATO) rifles, including those listed above, and at those extreme ranges, the XM3 rifles equaled the accuracy performance of the .300 Winchester Magnums being used as standard test weapons. </div></div>

Exactly....

I own a IBA Rifle.. and i would say it`s better finished, and more accurate than my GAP.

Re-read the article. I dont think you understand whats being said. i dont think you understand the politics involed in getting our military to buy different weapon systems. The price of the XM-3 is for a Complete System.. not a plain rifle.

Also, the secert to long range accuracy with a short barreled 308 is going with a 1-10" twist. The other rifles listed that it outshot had the standard 1-12 twist for the 308.

http://www.deathfromafar.com/htm/08_iba_weaponsys_xm3.shtml

In their May 1998 issue on page 36, Soldier of Fortune magazine proclaims, "Iron Brigade Armory creates the very best military/law enforcement long range sniper rifle in the world, bar none."

That is not all that IBA does. Created in 1979 as a means of securing better prices from vendors, Lieutenant Colonel Norman Chandler, USMC (retired), brought his Iron Brigade Armory into full flower a decade later with the presentation of his now famous sniper rifle- followed almost immediately by the first of his many book publications. IBA's five volume Death From Afar series and Carlos Hathcock's biography, White Feather, highlight a listing of rare and sought after books obtainable only from IBA. Chandler's books are credited by most for bringing military and law enforcement sniping from secretive obscurity into approving public and professional prominence. If you want to know sniping, you must be familiar with IBA's writing.

Iron Brigade Armory also produces the toughest and most reliable scope mounts ever devised. Their Badger/Chandler steel trigger guards are unmatched, and their heavy-duty recoil lugs are found on the best of accurate rifles. Law Enforcement departments across the nation rely on IBA for accurized-tougher than nails-PSS Remington sniper rifles that hold zero virtually forever under the most adverse of conditions.

IBA annually attends twenty of the nation's best gun shows where experts and amateurs alike gather to purchase and to exchange viewpoints with Colonel Chandler and his staff.

Of course, there are the schools. IBA conducts marksmanship and sniping schools at a number of locations (Blackwater Training Center in NC is an example) where beginning shooters can learn the rudiments and where the finest trained riflemen/warriors in the world sharpen their skills and learn new techniques from IBA experts in the shooting/sniping fields. The wise discover Iron Brigade Armory and use its materials and its services in their searches from simple upgrading through the most demanding perfections. All others settle for less than the best.

A call or email to Iron Brigade will probably result in personal conversation with one of the Chandlers. Their individualized service is a rarely encountered phenomenon in this day of cheaply hired phone-answerers who seldom know anything useful. Do not waste yours or their time on breeze-shooting calls. These are busy and serious, experts, who are not above suggesting that you read a lot more before you call again.

^^^ Drank the Correctional Custody Colonels' Koolaid...

I guess for a guy who never did anything himself, who merely lived off the backs of enlisted Marines, suppose he does okay. Although I am surprise no one ever tried to get him for Fraud, Waste and Abuse with that XM-3 considering what you get for what you pay, but who are we to say right.

Ever wonder why his bio doesn't exist, I sometimes do, but being from the 2nd Marine Division back in the day I really don't have to wonder too hard.

All that high speed rifle work, and someone else does it, which is why you pay more, because the parts travel alot.

Reactions: westhewelder

My main point is that it's stupid to market a bolt action rifle to the military. It's much easier and cheaper for them to build it themselves and put those expensive packages together.

Lt. Col. Norman. A. Chandler, U.S.M.C. (retired) was an active duty Marine for twenty-four years. He has been both a Rifle and a Weapons Company Commander. Distinguished with rifle and pistol, he is the creator of the Chandler Sniper Rifle, arguably the finest sniper rifle in the world. Col. Chandler lives with his family in Jacksonville, N.C.

Roy F. Chandler, MSgt. U.S. Army (retired) was an active duty soldier for twenty years. A veteran of WWII and Korea, he operated a sniper school, and during the 1950s he was a test NCO at the arctic Test Board in Alaska. Roy Chandler has been a nationally recognized big game hunter and writer for forty-five years. He has authored 57 published books.

Both have Co-authored the "Death From Afar" series of books about the deadly world of the Marine Corps Scout Sniper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TomS308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lt. Col. Norman. A. Chandler, U.S.M.C. (retired) was an active duty Marine for twenty-four years. He has been both a Rifle and a Weapons Company Commander. Distinguished with rifle and pistol, he is the creator of the Chandler Sniper Rifle, arguably the finest sniper rifle in the world. Col. Chandler lives with his family in Jacksonville, N.C.

Roy F. Chandler, MSgt. U.S. Army (retired) was an active duty soldier for twenty years. A veteran of WWII and Korea, he operated a sniper school, and during the 1950s he was a test NCO at the arctic Test Board in Alaska. Roy Chandler has been a nationally recognized big game hunter and writer for forty-five years. He has authored 57 published books.

Both have Co-authored the "Death From Afar" series of books about the deadly world of the Marine Corps Scout Sniper.
</div></div>

Hey Lowlight... did you know all this???

[quote= he is the creator of the Chandler Sniper Rifle, arguably the finest sniper rifle in the world.

Your joking right?

You're both off, its the Remington 700P with a 10x Leupy... :p

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertMonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the AIAW was the finest Sniper rifle in the world.
laugh.gif

L. </div></div>

Red Ryder BB gun...

Have you ever talked to the good Col.? Everything that he is involved with is perfect. Anything that you might have is crap, and you should buy it from him and he just happens to have a trailer full of stuff to sell you right there with him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertMonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes the Red Ryder the 1/2 moa 1,000 yard gun!

L. </div></div>

Maybe with you on the gun... it's a .000000000473 moa gun for me at 1000 yards.... if I do my part of course.
laugh.gif

24 years in the USMC and you have a one line bio... must have been a snoozer of a commission.

For a writer its rather weak, then again if don't have anything to hang your hat on, it's probably perfect.

I love the way the article claims the first production rifle got over a hundred confirmed?????? then it leaves it blank. WTF if some 0317 got 100 confirmed KILLS with some new test rifle I gotta think somebody here on the hide might have heard of this legend in the making. CMON
Sounds like a sales pitch to me. If the XM3 is the shit IBA ought to bring it to some real world comps and run it against some of the boys from SH who show up and their kits. If it cant hang there, or even show up I gotta have some doubts that its as great as that "Billy Mays" style article says it is.
smile.gif

Even Billy Mays (RIP) can't pimp rifles like Norm has done. lol

What exactly did they design or innovate on the "Chandler" rifle? They sure as hell didn't do any of the machining!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TomS308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own a IBA Rifle...</div></div>There's the opening statement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TomS308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and during the 1950s he was a test NCO at the arctic Test Board in Alaska.</div></div>And there's the evidence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even Billy Mays (RIP) can't pimp rifles like Norm has done....</div></div>Maybe that's because Billy Mays didn't follow-around an accomplished man in a wheelchair while whispering to him promises of fame. Not that any one individual has ever been accused of doing that.
whistle.gif

they outsource all the barrels and actions to Hart, thats why it takes for fucking ever to get a rifle from them. They are both good guys, would i buy a rifle from the HELL no, they seem like they have a high and mighty complex. My platoon and i went to their shop last year before we deployed to let them explain the XM3 to us, there isnt shit there other than the shit Norm randomnly sells on his website. Hart does produce some quality barreled actions. The only reason that the Marines use it is because we have 2 choices, the 40 and the XM3. Which would i rather use, the 40. By no means am i defending the IBA shop, just giving some insight. They claim that they are all knowing of everything shooting, but regularly get outshot by ten fold by 3 week Scout Sniper school students who have very limited time behind the 40. They may have a great literary composition skill, but rifle building, NO. I like the XM3 but my love is always with the 40

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they outsource all the barrels and actions to Hart, thats why it takes for fucking ever to get a rifle from them. They are both good guys, would i buy a rifle from the HELL no, they seem like they have a high and mighty complex. My platoon and i went to their shop last year before we deployed to let them explain the XM3 to us, there isnt shit there other than the shit Norm randomnly sells on his website. Hart does produce some quality barreled actions. The only reason that the Marines use it is because we have 2 choices, the 40 and the XM3. Which would i rather use, the 40. By no means am i defending the IBA shop, just giving some insight. They claim that they are all knowing of everything shooting, but regularly get outshot by ten fold by 3 week Scout Sniper school students who have very limited time behind the 40. They may have a great literary composition skill, but rifle building, NO. I like the XM3 but my love is always with the 40 </div></div>

Do you actually get to choose?

between the 40 the xm3 and the mk11 as mission guns, the 40s always go out with us, then its up to us wether its the xm3 or the mk11 that is the second PR. I would choose the XM3 over the Mk11. But the 40 is still where its at

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">between the 40 the xm3 and the mk11 as mission guns, the 40s always go out with us, then its up to us wether its the xm3 or the mk11 that is the second PR. I would choose the XM3 over the Mk11. But the 40 is still where its at </div></div>

Gotchya. What's your issue with the Mk11?

Im just not a fan of gas guns as a SWS, we didnt get trained on them enough for me to feel comfortable on it like i do with the 40. Thats my personal preference, we never had anything go wrong with them. I just dont like them on ops.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im just not a fan of gas guns as a SWS, we didnt get trained on them enough for me to feel comfortable on it like i do with the 40. Thats my personal preference, we never had anything go wrong with them. I just dont like them on ops. </div></div>

Understood.

I'm sure you have enough security that you don't need a semi auto on an op.

yeah we always rolled pretty heavy on the firepower.normal op with a 6 man team
2 M249 SAWs
4 M4s w/ ACOGs
2 M203s
M40A3
XM3

and 2 M9s
everyone carried a full load out as well as 2 frags a piece

Guys, its just another overated Remy!
on the other hand,i've had a number of custom built remis that shot quiet well.
like the article says.
Every XM3 is capable of shooting sub-minute of angle (three shot groups) at 1000 yards. (capable is overstated)
These days, that may not seem exceptional, but the XM3 has only an 18 ½-inch long barrel and wears a Sure Fire© sound suppressor.
“Wait a minute,” you say. “Only an 18 ½-inch barrel – and it shoots sub-minute at 1000 yards?”

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah we always rolled pretty heavy on the firepower.normal op with a 6 man team
2 M249 SAWs
4 M4s w/ ACOGs
2 M203s
M40A3
XM3

and 2 M9s
everyone carried a full load out as well as 2 frags a piece </div></div>

Sounds like an Infantry squad as back up... nice. Prolly another bunch on QRF, you were GTG.

Ah, wildcats, maybe you missed this the 700 times it was posted.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/15qj032UJ1I&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/15qj032UJ1I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Its 18.5", has more features than any XM-3, side bolt release, oversized bolt knob, adjustable cheek piece, detachable magazine and, wait for it ...

Cost 1/3 the price of an XM-3.... Fraud, Waste and Abuse ? You be the judge.

it clearly hits a sub moa target that small one is 8.75" wide, and 14" Tall with the head, which is only like 3" the body is 11" tall.

Its not magic its just a well built rifle

Oh, c'mon... 308 can't make to 1k regardless of barrel length. Everyone knows that. How would it get past the invisible 800 yard barrier? How?

308_traj-1.jpg

The video is obviously fake... done with mirrors...

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, c'mon... 308 can't make to 1k regardless of barrel length. Everyone knows that. How would it get past the invisible 800 yard barrier? How?

308_traj-1.jpg

The video is obviously fake... done with mirrors...

grin.gif

</div></div>

this is freaking funny shit.thanks for the line graph its all so clear to me now.LOL!!

Lowlight,i guess i did,LOL
i have no doubt that a well built 18` barrel length 308 can (reach) out to 1K. i've held 1/2 min. out to 600Yards with a McBros MCRT 308 26` with no problem.
but holding 1/2 moa at 1K with a 308 18` barrel is a different story, is what i'm questioning.
even with all variables being perfect,even an stablished shooter would be hardpressed to hold 1/2 min. at 1K consistently.

Consistency is what i look for in a rifle.
so when they say (capable),what does that really mean in the real world? Capable doesn't mean anything to me.

Jasonk i 2nd that!<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, K! That's funny shit!!</div></div>