• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

XM80C Product Specification Sheet & Round Information

RadioDude

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2011
Magalia, CA.
A friend gave me 4 boxes of Federals XM80C 7.62X51 ammo. The rounds were in white boxes, with 20 rounds per box with a plastic separator. He told me these didn't make the specifications and could be rejected for any reason.

I fired 10 rounds at a 100yards, all within the 10 ring. I did a search on SH and didn't find much information posted on this ammo. I emailed Federal and requested information, I had the Product Specification Sheet back in about 30 minutes.

Here is what I received. The sheet says it was revised October 16, 2012.

LOAD NUMBER: XM80CS. CALIBER: 7.62x51. CASE: Brass (Copper Alloy No. 260). BULLET: 149Gr. FMJ Boat-Tail . PRIMER: Federal No. 210 Operating Range (-40 degrees to +125 degrees Fahrenheit). PRIMER SEALANT: Water Resistant Lacquer. HEADSTAMP: Each loaded cartridge shall be head stamped with manufacture's symbol and appropriate cartridge designation. ACCURACY: Three 10-round groups with maximum average extreme spread of 3.5" at 200 yards, using a Mann Rest Test System. INSTRUMENTAL VELOCITY: 2735 FPS using a NATO test barrel. MUZZLE ENERGY: 2485 Ft-Lbs. CHAMBER PRESSURE: Piezotronic maximum average per 10 rounds -60,000 PSI. BULLET PULL: Minimum individual 60 Lbs. PROPELLANT DETECTION: 100% mechanical and /or electrical detection of propellant levels within the cartridge. VISUAL INSEPCTION: 100% visual inspection of finished cartridges prior to packaging. LOT IDENTIFICATION: Each lot of ammunition is assigned a unique identification number to include the day, month and year of manufacture and assembly line on which manufactured. PACKAGE: 500 rounds per inner pack, two inner packs shipping case.

I culled one of the rounds. These are the numbers, weights, lengths, powder gr. I came up with.
Weight: 377.1 COL: 2.787 Bullet Wt: 147.9 (cannelure) Bullet Length: 1.130 Cartridge Length: 2.005 Cartridge Headstamp: LC 0 1 NATO cross indicator. Neck (after bullet removed) : 339 Powder Wt: 43.5 Powder Type: Flat, wafer type. There seem to be 3 sizes, big, medium and small. Lot Number on boxes: SMQ10F325-002

I'm not sure what all the lot numbers signify. I suspect these were produced in March 25, 2002 on machine number SMQ10F.
Someone may have more information about these rounds that I have gleaned here. If so, please share it with us.

RadioDude