• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes XPS3-0 vs. 553.A65

seacowboy

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2010
Fairfax, VA
Debating between these two Eotech sights for my new .50 Beowulf. The xps is an ounce less in weight and just under an inch a half shorter. The location of the buttons I'm indifferent on at the moment, as I haven't used either, but don't think having them on the rear will be a hindrance with the 553. Having the lithium batteries is no biggie as all my flashlights run the same. The 553 comes in FDE to match the rest of the furniture and both qualify for the $50 mail in rebate. Suggestions or experience with these two sights? Will be adding a magnifier down the road.

Re: XPS3-0 vs. 553.A65

no experience with the new smaller version but have 2 of the --553's with no problems and the 3x on one--You should research it
and see if any of our armed forces use the smaller 1 or not--
If I were in the market for a new Eotech I would want the proven
one--just my 2 cents--personally I have plenty of rail space but
I have heard that others like the shorter Eotech for that reason
---something to think about if u put lots of stuff on the rails
--an Eotech on a big-bore AR is the most fun one can have when
hunting hogs!!! good choice seacowboy

The 553 is also 6mm higher than the xps but both are good sights. so it comes down to the prefrences you stated. also if you decide to run a magnifier as stated you may want to get the model with the buttons on the side as it is easier to manipulate the sight when the mag is in place. trust me I ran a 553 with magnifier for about 2 years befor switching to a XPS with out mag. But again it is all about what you like, and will not be disappointed with either sight. Just my .02

Agreed with the idea of the tried and true 553. And the location of buttons on the 553 may be an issue with the magnifier in place, but figured since I would probably already have it on and set then it would be ok. Also with the flip away mount it shouldn't be hard to access, but in a rush definitely a problem. Haven't seen anything negative about either yet. And yes it will be used hog hunting.

Agreed with the idea of the tried and true 553. And the location of buttons on the 553 may be an issue with the magnifier in place, but figured since I would probably already have it on and set then it would be ok. Also with the flip away mount it shouldn't be hard to access, but in a rush definitely a problem. Haven't seen anything negative about either yet. And yes it will be used hog hunting.

Move the eotech one notch forward and there'll be clearance for your fingers on the buttons.

Debating between these two Eotech sights for my new .50 Beowulf. The xps is an ounce less in weight and just under an inch a half shorter. The location of the buttons I'm indifferent on at the moment, as I haven't used either, but don't think having them on the rear will be a hindrance with the 553. Having the lithium batteries is no biggie as all my flashlights run the same. The 553 comes in FDE to match the rest of the furniture and both qualify for the $50 mail in rebate. Suggestions or experience with these two sights? Will be adding a magnifier down the road.

If it were me, I would go with an XPS/EXPS for a couple of reasons. First is to save real estate on the rifle if I ever wanted to add a magnifier. Secondly to save weight. Yeah its only a couple of ounces but ounces count. Especially if you are toting the weapon system around like you would when hunting. Why a 3-0 and not a 2-0?

I've never used either but I have had several 512's and 552's which are similar design to the 553. A few of my 512's and 552's suffered from the typical issues reported with the battery compartment and all were taken care of despite one of them being well out of warranty. Other than that my only complaint is that battery life sucked with all of them.

I only know what I've read about the XPS/EXPS models so take it for what second hand information is worth. They seem to not suffer from the battery compartment issues like the models that have batteries running the length of the optic instead of across. Reported battery life is also much better.

If it were me I'd give the XPS a try.

Get an EXPS. The mount is great and puts it at 1/3. Unless you have NV, no reason not to get the 2-0.

They have been hard to find for a few months, so maybe they will start showing up soon. Its my fav CQB optic, and I have used them all.