• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes XTR II and SWFA 10x glass comparisons?

jhr1986

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2012
SLCish, UT
Hoping a few of y'all have owned both and can make a comparison. I currently have an SWFA fixed 10x (non-HD model) and I'm considering replacing it with an XTR II 3-15x50, mostly because I like the additional features of the XTR II.

Obviously I gain things like 10 mil turrets, zero stop, side parallax, adjustable zoom range - all things I sort of miss with the SWFA when I am using it.

The XTR II isn't lauded for it's glass quality but is it at least on par in terms of resolution/CA control/flatness of field compared to my current 10x?

The glass on the XTR II is more than good enough for 3-15x. I have 3 of them.

The people that bitch about the glass are the ones that wanted the 4-20, or the 5-25 and expected S&B lense quality in a $1k scope.

But in a 3-15, you likely won't be able to see the difference, and all 3 of mine track better than 99% throughout the entire range of adjustment.

Hoping a few of y'all have owned both and can make a comparison. I currently have an SWFA fixed 10x (non-HD model) and I'm considering replacing it with an XTR II 3-15x50, mostly because I like the additional features of the XTR II.

Obviously I gain things like 10 mil turrets, zero stop, side parallax, adjustable zoom range - all things I sort of miss with the SWFA when I am using it.

The XTR II isn't lauded for it's glass quality but is it at least on par in terms of resolution/CA control/flatness of field compared to my current 10x?

The glass on the XTR II is more than good enough for 3-15x. I have 3 of them.

The people that bitch about the glass are the ones that wanted the 4-20, or the 5-25 and expected S&B lense quality in a $1k scope.

But in a 3-15, you likely won't be able to see the difference, and all 3 of mine track better than 99% throughout the entire range of adjustment.

There were plenty of 3-15s during the roll out that had the same terrible glass. That is a problem that according the birddog has been fixed. I grabbed 3 of the 5-25 XTRII last year and the glass in them was fine. I had a 3-15 and 4-20 when they rolled them out and they were barley useable. If they have the tungsten ring by the power ring, all I have seen have been GTG.

I have had very little issues with the 4-20 xtrii glass. It is not the best glass I have had or that I have but it not bad either. This is looking at 770 yards, on 16x, I personally think it’s more then usable.
2D30E644-D311-4EE7-80EB-9D0EA3F0846E.jpeg

I have an SWFA 10x

This is the SWFA fixed 10x and the Burris XTR II 4-20 set at 10x. 100yds.

I’m not a glass snob, but I did think the XTR seemed quite a bit brighter, I guess? In the pics you can see the plant behind the target was a darker green in the SWFA and a brighter green in the XTR. I was honestly surprised how much a difference there was looking through it in person - I like the XTR a lot more. But the SWFA still hits targets just as well.

Attachments

• 86D736D4-3622-42F3-B7D5-35DC49F84AB9.png
    86D736D4-3622-42F3-B7D5-35DC49F84AB9.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 98
  • 31C438D3-E715-42A0-B50C-97D450EB785B.png
    31C438D3-E715-42A0-B50C-97D450EB785B.png
    2 MB · Views: 101
I took a 3-15 XTRII to Caylen's 2 day wind course. I had it on 12x a lot of the time because the mirage was so bad. I was still able to do target detection/discrimination out to 1400 yards with no issues, and like I said before, it tracks like a train.

That Steiner that that Pirate linked is a good price.

I picked up my XTRII's when everyone was dumping them for the newer models. I have an average of about $650 in each of mine. Although the fire sales on them have cooled off, you can still find them around for under $800.

I appreciate the input guys. Sounds like the XTR is at least on par with if not better than the SWFA. I know not to expect glass like my Razors but the SWFA (and the XTR that may replace it) is a backup scope for me and gets bounced around to various rifles before they get something permanent. For this purpose I don't need extraordinary glass, just decent and solid tracking. The SWFA has been fine in this role so it sounds like the XTR will be a nice step up.

I appreciate the input guys. Sounds like the XTR is at least on par with if not better than the SWFA. I know not to expect glass like my Razors but the SWFA (and the XTR that may replace it) is a backup scope for me and gets bounced around to various rifles before they get something permanent. For this purpose I don't need extraordinary glass, just decent and solid tracking. The SWFA has been fine in this role so it sounds like the XTR will be a nice step up.
Did you take a look at the link I gave you?