• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Xtr ii, hdmr, or ares etr

Garett73

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2018
Johnstown,Colorado
Which scope is the clearest and has the best features. Haventbseen much on a comparison of the 3. All have 34mm tube and around 30ish mil of elevation

The Burris seems to be the most dependable but worst glass. The Athlon has the best glass but is the heaviest. The Bushnell is in the middle with the glass. The Bushnell I had did not track correctly.

I would say, the Burris or Athlon is the way to go.

I had a 4-20 xtrii that was a highly excellent scope. Never checked out a 5-25 but it was vastly superior optically than the 8-40. And my favorite reticle to date.

I can comment on the XTR II 5-25 and HDMR 2 3.5-21. I own the XTR II and it was a wash to me I liked both, but the deal on the XTR with rings was just crazy I couldn't not do it. What really grabbed me was the SCR-mil reticle it gives me everything I want and nothing I don't need cluttering up image.

Reactions: Jack's Dad
See im wanting more reticle is the problem. I have the xtr ii 5-25 scr mil. I shoot prs competitions and the scr mil reticle left me wamting more after running my buddies horus reticle. Especially for hold over stages in 10-15 mph winds. So the hdmr and the ares etr are both appealing reticle wise and both pretty much the same price

Hold out for the XTR III,better glass and reticle similar to Vortex EBR-7C. My XTR II 5-25 tracked great but lacking in glass quality. I went Vortex RZR gen II because of reticle and the drop in $$

Reactions: D_TROS
I agree, ive actually looked through an xtr iii and its incredible, but it's also almost 800 to 900 dollars more. Id love it just dont think i can afford it at the moment.

See im wanting more reticle is the problem. I have the xtr ii 5-25 scr mil. I shoot prs competitions and the scr mil reticle left me wamting more after running my buddies horus reticle. Especially for hold over stages in 10-15 mph winds. So the hdmr and the ares etr are both appealing reticle wise and both pretty much the same price

If you liked the Horus, then why not the XTR II 4-20 H591? Burris took the H59, thinned it down some, added a little more detail to the hold under portion of the reticle, and voila'.

It's actually my favorite XTR II, and the 4-20 is a sweet spot in the line up. All mine in the 20x have excellent glass, I would put up against anything in its price point.

I run a pair of these on my PRS rifles.

I have owned both the Athlon ARES ETR and Bushnell XRS2. The Athlon ETR was a better scope. Between these 3, go ETR!

Reactions: Mark Watson
I don't think you can go wrong with any of three. I would just go with the one you find the best deal on.

The ETR does not have all .2 mil holdovers in the reticle below 1 mil, it transitions to .5 mil, which wasn't a good idea for holdovers so I didn't buy one.

I had 3 of the old HDMR's, they were great scopes, and had decent glass.

I'd rather spend the extra money on the XTR3 as well.

I would get the one that has your favorite retc and isn't named Athlon. First 2 I saw at a match went down.

Honestly the prices these scopes are going for is redic. XTR2 for 700-800 and bushy for $800 are a steal. that and the gen 1 vortex for 1000-1200....jeezo if these scopes were avail 10 yrs ago for these prices...

Regards,
DT

I would get the one that has your favorite retc and isn't named Athlon. First 2 I saw at a match went down.

Honestly the prices these scopes are going for is redic. XTR2 for 700-800 and bushy for $800 are a steal. that and the gen 1 vortex for 1000-1200....jeezo if these scopes were avail 10 yrs ago for these prices...

Regards,
DT

How long ago were those Athlon Failures? Early Production, recent etc? Just curious.

I have an ETR. Shot really well with it at several matches and then couldn't hit anything about halfway through a match. Struggled through a couple more matches, did a tall target test and found it wasn't tracking consistant. Sent it back on a Monday, got a new one on Wednesday, sighted in the morning of a local match and took third. Sent in a 50% off Vortex cert for a GenII Razor with the EBR-7C reticle on the Monday that I sent the ETR back.

The ETR was .2-.5 mil off every time I dialed. The Razor will replace it and the ETR will go on a 22 or another rifle.

Instead of the DMR2/HDMR2, I'd suggest looking at the DMR2 Pro. The Pro has a pretty noticable upgrade in glass over the DMR2, and it's well worth the cost. The blowout sale from Bushnell a while back seemed to bring down used optic prices on them, as well, so you might be able to find one for pretty cheap.

Reactions: bjay and 260284

I would also consider this one. New kids, all done in Japan. Great customer service and warranty. MAP pricing is lower than the listed MSRP so prob around 1200 for this one.

I would also consider this one. New kids, all done in Japan. Great customer service and warranty. MAP pricing is lower than the listed MSRP so prob around 1200 for this one.

Hey that's a respectable .2 mil tree reticle!

Last edited:
Reactions: John Glidewell
I just got mine yesterday. So far so good. Next we will run it through some paces, tall target test and in some mirage. I was able to make out the kids faces at 850-900 yards away during marching band practice. I can see the field at the school from my balcony, it was rather impressive. During the plumbing, I could count the fibers in the rope.

About time riton came out with a useable reticle. That was my complaint with them when they first came out.

Well i somehow ended up convincing my wife into letting me get a leupold mark 5 hd and that shoukd be here next week. I shouldnt have any more complaints about glass thats for sure

Reactions: John Glidewell
The mid Mod 5s and all Mod 7s are made in Japan. Tubes are 20% thicker. Glass is all Japanese HD glass and higher end models with ED/HD glass, all glass is fully coated with a claimed 99.5% light transmission. The lower end scopes are all Japanese glass/components assembled in China. All scopes are QC'd once they hit Riton in AZ prior to shipping. Their warranty is a replacement warranty. Send your scope back and they send you a new one within 48 hours of receiving the broken one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 260284
Hdmr2-pro got my vote..yes i did owned almost all mentioned above..

There's not a HDMR2 Pro - the H just indicates a Horus reticle, which isn't available in the Pro model. That might change eventually, though.

Edit: Almost forgot, Bushnell has the Pro for $300 off now, or you can get the Pro with a free Kestrel Sportsman from GA Preicison AND get the $300 off as a mail in rebate.

There's not a HDMR2 Pro - the H just indicates a Horus reticle, which isn't available in the Pro model. That might change eventually, though.
Yup you're correct...pro dont come with horus.HD is the type of glass not indicate horus.
pro and xrs2 both has ED glass
20190624_212611.jpg

Yup you're correct...pro dont come with horus.HD is the type of glass not indicate horus.
View attachment 7125647

Yes, the Pro and XRS2 have ED Prime glass. The H in HDMR doesn't indicate the presense of HD glass, however. The HDMR model name has only been used on DMR optics with a Horus reticle - none of which have the current HD/ED Prime glass. The only riflescope Bushnell currently makes with both ED Prime glass AND a Horus reticle is the XRS2.

Reactions: spife7980
Ill second hollywood

HDMR = Horus DMR
HDMR2 = Horus DMR2

The only place youll find a "H" printed on a busnell objective bell is on the horus reticle model. All other reticles are just "DMR" or "DMR2".

Last edited:
Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Edit: Almost forgot, Bushnell has the Pro for $300 off now, or you can get the Pro with a free Kestrel Sportsman from GA Preicison AND get the $300 off as a mail in rebate.

Nice, heres a link to the rebate promotion https://promotions.vistaoutdoor.com/EN/US/Promo/17/154/EntryForm
1565214932696.png

Looks like the Midway, OP & Bushnell direct options are excluded because they already reflect the price thats 300 lower than normal msrp.

If you need a kestrel then the GAP sale is a good bargain again as it has the $400 kestrel for like 100 bucks add on essentially.

Last edited: