• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

XTR III Illuminated in my hands

bill_van

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2012
First impressions are quite favorable. This is the 3.3-18x and even with my old eyes, at the lowest power, I can clearly read the reticle! Not too thin or too big, about perfect IMO. Only had it for a couple of hours so not ready for a review just yet...... I did find that an exposed windage knob is not included with these new Philippine manufactured models which is disappointing, maybe someone with the USA model has no use for theirs and would considering parting with it for a fair price. I did call customer service and was told it is not available for purchase. More to come once I've had a chance to work with it a little more!

Recently got a 5.5-30 XTR3 myself. I was equally disappointed to see that they no longer come with an exposed windage cap. I don't know how much I'd honestly use it but it'd be nice to have the option.

But other than that my initial impressions of the scope are favorable. My elevation turret to a bit to loosen up initially though.

Yeah, options are always nice. After all these years it's hard to justify changing the process but I'm liking the scope enough that I will re-train myself. Not really a big deal but if somebody offers one, I sure won't turn it down!

So I'm not just ragging on a minor detail...... a closer look at the glass places it equal to my Steiner Military (Germany) which has some of the best glass I've ever seen. Can't wait to get it mounted. Illumination was worth the wait. Looks to have a excellent range on the low side and the dual color is a nice option too.

Can you provide pictures of windage knob and turrets. There was talk they were changing them so weren’t as less aggressive but apparently some say that wasn’t the case. Any pictures of reticle illuminated would be appreciated if/when you have time.

Reactions: D Mac
Can you provide pictures of windage knob and turrets. There was talk they were changing them so weren’t as less aggressive but apparently some say that wasn’t the case. Any pictures of reticle illuminated would be appreciated if/when you have time.
I'll work on getting that for you. I don't know how "aggressive" the originals were but these give good grip without shredding your fingers. The illumination cap is another story and can be used as a edged weapon....... not really but when you insert the battery and tighten it up, you will realize that it's pretty sharp!

For the group: illumination only goes one way from low to high then you have to back your way down. Not an issue at all, just a little dated. I do understand the reason..... the switch has a "S" position at the top to change the color. If the switch rotated 360 degrees, there would be no position to change the color since you need to hold it in that position for 5 or so seconds.

Reactions: Chasing3
If it doesn't feel sharp on the elevation and parallax, then they've toned it down. My original test run version is quite sharp. There's no mistaking it for anything other than that 🤣

Nice to have the option on the side windage. Though I agree with Burris' decision that if they were looking for ways to help bring down the cost of this optic, that's a great way to do it. I've never seen anyone actually run the windage knob.

So far, side by sides with my non illuminated XTRIIIs and my Pro have been very favorable. If they continue as they have started, this is going to be a very popular optic. Nothing touches it currently at this price point.

Zoom in on that parallax knob if you want to see how sharp the first run was.

Birddog, you are probably right about the windage. I'm already adjusting my habits (which are hard to break) when using a xmas tree reticle. I know it will be faster than dialing but old dog, new trick syndrome at work here. I may still get lucky with a "I don't need this part" person and I'll jump on it!

I also agree with the popularity statement. This is one fine piece of glass in this price range. There really isn't anything out there to compete with the XTR 3. If Burris keeps the same quality, everybody else will need to step up to maintain market share.

Almost forgot..... no sharpness on either. Very nicely done.

Reactions: Birddog6424
They are sourcing all the glass for this optic from the same location as the American version. With the same quality standards in place. It really came down to the question of whether the Phillipines plant could execute manufacturing and assembly of an already established design and incorporate the optical system. And maintain quality control.

They are by no means new to the game. They've been making optics for Burris, Vortex, and multiple other manufacturers for years. So I think chances are pretty good now that all the boxes are checked and they have a green light to produce these in numbers, that it should be a pretty good scope.

The XTRII that they made for 9 some odd years was bulletproof. Not the best glass, but the quality of manufacture and dependability was fantastic.

Funny how the stars aligned this time. If it were not for a Burris Warranty Claim, I really would not have been in the market for another scope as I probably have too many already (if that's possible). Once I got the notification that my previous Burris was not repairable, I started looking at the offerings and stumbled on the soon to be released XTR 3. Patience actually paid off as there were XTR 2 versions still available but after reading many reviews and posts, I thought, lets wait for the new model. A behind the scene following of your posts led me to decide on the XTR 3 so you need to hit up Burris for a "finders fee". Seriously, your honest comments and progress reports made it easy. Thank you for leading me to a beyond expectations experience.

It's been above 100°F every day here in south Texas since early June. Today was a break @ 95°F but I haven't got it mounted yet so I missed the chance to shoot. It's been so hot I expect cook-offs with my rifle!! My dope accounts for some variance in temp but not this much. Everything is shooting considerably faster through the chrono and no relief in sight. Maybe I'm just getting old!

If anyone has tried this and the Tenmile 3-18x44 FFP I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I'd love a dot reticle over the cross hair but may be able to overlook it if other areas are really solid.

Got my 5-30 illuminated Thursday. Got it mounted yesterday.
Now I gotta work up some Berger 80.5’s and RL-16 for the .22BR!!!!

I love mine. I’m only about 500 rounds in or so.
I had an XTR II that I figured out had parrallex issues (long story). Sent it off to Burris and they said it was non-repairable, I asked if I could upgrade to a III, they were happy to oblige.
Honestly haven’t monkeyed with the rifle much since winter, can’t wait to get it down to the range next week!

Reactions: Birddog6424
Question for @Birddog6424 and or anyone else that may have been behind both at one time. How do you think the Burris XTR3i’s will do compared to NF ATACR 4-16x42’s? I really like the FOV the B XTR3i’s 3-18x50’s offer and their eye box seems very generous. I had a non-illumination version and seemed like a tank. I even dropped it on a roof and zero was still good. Would you consider this line rugged and duty capable?

Question for @Birddog6424 and or anyone else that may have been behind both at one time. How do you think the Burris XTR3i’s will do compared to NF ATACR 4-16x42’s? I really like the FOV the B XTR3i’s 3-18x50’s offer and their eye box seems very generous. I had a non-illumination version and seemed like a tank. I even dropped it on a roof and zero was still good. Would you consider this line rugged and duty capable?

I haven’t looked through that particular NF in a minute. I would be surprised if it held up in a side by side for eyebox and field of view. The XTRIII is already awfully strong in those particular characteristics. And the 18x even more so than the 30x.

Durability is just like the XTRII. They are definitely a tank. I mentioned this once elsewhere, but in my facility tour in April they had zero XTRII and only had two XTRIII returns in the 60 days prior to my visit. They swapped both of them and tore them apart to see what went wrong. They've been making these as fast as they can for over three years now, there's a ton of them out there, and returns to the facility are pretty rare.

Does the XTR3 not come in the SCR mil reticle? Only MOA or SCR-2?
No one was buying it.

I can only speculate that they think the hunting/crossover crowd will buy the MOA SCR.
To a mils guy I think the mil SCR is perfect for hunting. I've ran one in a 5-25 XTRII for 6 years.

No one was buying it.

I can only speculate that they think the hunting/crossover crowd will buy the MOA SCR.
To a mils guy I think the mil SCR is perfect for hunting. I've ran one in a 5-25 XTRII for 6 years.
I’d prefer a Mil version of the scr I went with SCR2 instead of moa. They should just kill moa and be done with it.

No one was buying it.

That’s the only reason I’m not buying one.
Don’t want moa or the SCR2 with tree
If they had the SCR mil In the illuminated Id get one

So far I like it for the range, I’ll know more after this hunting season, I think it’ll be okay though.

Took mine to the range today.
Waaay better than my II.

+1 for pics of the turret knobs on a production unit.

And that sucks about the exposed windage knob not being included, or available. I just sold a non-illuminated model, and gave away the extra knob I had. Should have kept the knob, as my preference is to use the exposed knob.

And to all the advertisers, what are the chances of seeing a floating dot reticle in one of these?

I had the 3-18 non illuminated Version. Picking up the same but illuminated version or XTR3i in 3-18x50 from TheHebrewHammer as well. Hopefully the center is still good.

Reactions: sjbryan65
I prefer dots too if anyone with the ability to make line additions is reading.

They aren't exactly apples to apples as far as form factor and weight, but if this Trijicon Tenmile 3-18 I have incoming isn't what I want then the Burris looks like my next logical stop.

Any pictures or videos of illumination on in the field? Hunting for a scope for my F-Class AR. I know there are scopes better suited for that purpose but I'd like it to do a bit of everything. And really want something bright enough to help stand out against black F-Class targets on bright days.

Last edited:
Reactions: my87csx481
Burris screwed up with the new illuminated version, first they have them made in the Philippines, and then they scrapped the SCR mil reticle only offering a non cluttered reticle in MOA and a giant cluttered up tree reticle in mil.
I’d only get the non illuminated US made version.

Burris screwed up with the new illuminated version, first they have them made in the Philippines, and then they scrapped the SCR mil reticle only offering a non cluttered reticle in MOA and a giant cluttered up tree reticle in mil.
I’d only get the non illuminated US made version.
As politely as I can comment...... are you just pissed because they didn't run any of their business decisions past you before they made the changes? Don't worry, you are safe as nobody is going to make you buy one! Cheers!

I'm on the fence about picking up one of the 3.3-18 illuminated models. Has anyone directly compared a 3.3-18 model against the gen 2 Vortex PST 3-15? Is the Burris optically and/or mechanically better than the Vortex comparator?
Every time I buy or try an optic that is 2-4x the price of the ~$600 3-15 PST gen 2 I find myself disappointed with how modest of an improvement there is. It isn't a budget thing, I can buy whatever optic I want. That said, I have to be able to see a tangible difference in performance in order to like it. I am absolutely a night optics snob, but not so much with daytime stuff. Any input regarding the two optics would be appreciated.

@cake5150 I bought a illuminated Burris XTR3i 3-18 but don’t have it in hand yet. Hope to this week. I had the previous non-illumination model. I also had a Vortex PST Gen 2 3-15. My experience between the two so far was the Burris was hands down better optically, better clarity, I liked the SCR2 reticle better and the turrets were much more tactile. Maybe I had a bad one but i didn’t trust the Vortex. I have used Razors in the past and would use one but not over the Burris XTR3 line so far in my experience. I’ll share my opinion of the illuminated version as I have a non illuminated model to compare it to as well.

As politely as I can comment...... are you just pissed because they didn't run any of their business decisions past you before they made the changes? Don't worry, you are safe as nobody is going to make you buy one! Cheers!
Yes I’m very upset Burris didn’t call me to check I’m ok with their business decisions.
We all can have an opinion buddy

@cake5150 I bought a illuminated Burris XTR3i 3-18 but don’t have it in hand yet. Hope to this week. I had the previous non-illumination model. I also had a Vortex PST Gen 2 3-15. My experience between the two so far was the Burris was hands down better optically, better clarity, I liked the SCR2 reticle better and the turrets were much more tactile. Maybe I had a bad one but i didn’t trust the Vortex. I have used Razors in the past and would use one but not over the Burris XTR3 line so far in my experience. I’ll share my opinion of the illuminated version as I have a non illuminated model to compare it to as well.
Thanks for the reply. My other concern was how thin the reticle is. I get that this shouldn't really be an issue anymore with the advent of illumination. I have always thought the EBR-2C/D and EBR-7 reticles hit the nail on the head with being thick enough so it doesn't vanish below 6x while still not obstructing view of the target at max magnification. Can you comment on your experience w/ usability of the non-illuminated model at lower magnification? Thanks again for your thoughts.

Reactions: beetroot
Thanks for the reply. My other concern was how thin the reticle is. I get that this shouldn't really be an issue anymore with the advent of illumination. I have always thought the EBR-2C/D and EBR-7 reticles hit the nail on the head with being thick enough so it doesn't vanish below 6x while still not obstructing view of the target at max magnification. Can you comment on your experience w/ usability of the non-illuminated model at lower magnification? Thanks again for your thoughts.
You sound like you have exactly the same reservations as me with this scope.
I too want to replace a 3-15 PST and haven't yet been compelled by anything else in the market.

I don't think you'll be able to tell if the reticle is too thin without trying it, some people say it's way too thine, others say it's great.
I think it's too subjective to be able to get an answer without trying it yourself.

I think the best reticle in the 3-20ish scope range was the EBR-2c in the 3-15, it was .52mil thick and was pretty much perfect for the zoom range.
The SCR2 is thinner than the 7c, so a lot thinner than the 2c. It's also a slightly more simple reticle which also makes it less visible on low magnification.

The illumination on my PRO is not daylight bright. I assume the xtr3i won’t be daylight bright either so don’t rely on that to help with the thin reticle.

I personally would not want the scr2 for a primary hunting reticle, and for that matter the scopes are much heavier than I would want for a hunting optic so it doesn’t matter to me. The xtr3’s and my pro have been serving me very well in matches. I love these scopes!

You sound like you have exactly the same reservations as me with this scope.
I too want to replace a 3-15 PST and haven't yet been compelled by anything else in the market.

I don't think you'll be able to tell if the reticle is too thin without trying it, some people say it's way too thine, others say it's great.
I think it's too subjective to be able to get an answer without trying it yourself.

I think the best reticle in the 3-20ish scope range was the EBR-2c in the 3-15, it was .52mil thick and was pretty much perfect for the zoom range.
The SCR2 is thinner than the 7c, so a lot thinner than the 2c. It's also a slightly more simple reticle which also makes it less visible on low magnification.
I'm in the same boat as well. I really like my pst 3-15, but I want a scope that has a capped or locking windage turret.

@cake5150 like others mentioned it is a thin reticle and I personally like thin reticles. So I agree it’s subjective and probably matters most in what your intended purposes are with the scope/rifle. The first thing I will be looking at for myself when evaluating the two, will be the reticles and illumination. Supposedly the reticles in the XTR3i’s were thickened up a bit but no one has really made clear if this is the case. I think the scope’s overall package will be great and hold well against other competitors if the glass and turrets are the same with the added illumination. It just may come down to shooters preference in reticle options.

I'm in the same boat as well. I really like my pst 3-15, but I want a scope that has a capped or locking windage turret.
Bingo. I tried the Razor LHT 4.5-22 but was underwhelmed by glass difference from PST2 and did not like the turrets. I looked hard at the NF NX8s but see too many complaints about how NOT easy they are to get behind and pickiness of parallax. I see so many NX8s being sold by end users that it seems like the complaints in the forums are probably well-founded. I have yet to find the gen 2 PST replacement. I know there is lots of hate here for PST 2 scopes and Vortex in general, but that 3-15 is very close to perfect for me and none of my four examples have failed. The search continues.

Reactions: beetroot
The reticle is thicker.

It's still not a "thick" reticle. But side by side with my non illuminated version, you can tell.

Could you pull some strings and get us a subtension drawing?
Add me to the list of those concerned.