• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

XTR III Non-Illum Reticle

Rerun7

Furious George
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2017
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    Saw what appears to be a great price on a non-illum XTRIII 3-18.

Thinking about using this on a hunting rig but a little concerned the reticle may be too thin at low mag during low light. It’s the SCR Mil reticle

Anyone with experience able to provide some perspective?

I have one of these left and find the reticle very thin at low power/low light. If you are ok bumping the magnification up to around 5-6 I find it plenty useable but not great.

Reactions: Rerun7
    Low power in low light? Reticle is invisible.
    Here’s how thin it looks mid morning in full sun at max mag, targets from 670-810
    IMG_2501.jpeg

Edit: nvm, wrong reticle.

Last edited:
    Reactions: R_A_W and Baron85
    ^That's the SCR2 - the regular SCR is thicker and no tree. I have SCR2's so unsure if the regular SCR is thick enough for low mag low light.

Reactions: spife7980
    Oops I missed that part, the ones I have had and the last one I still have are all scr2. Never looked through one with the SCR

Reactions: spife7980
    I’ve currently got a non illum LRTS on this rifle but an XTRIII for under $1k is tempting!
    The illum reticle is thicker than the non-illum model. I've heard the illum model fixes a number of the issues of the non-illum ones. If you don't mind sharing (if it's a commercial source), where are you seeing that price? I'm interested in grabbing one. If it's a PX sell or something, have at it.

Reactions: Birddog6424
    I have an XTRIII 3-18 non Illuminated in the SCR2 reticle. Have used it for hunting and yeah you kinda need it on 5-6 power. Really great scope for th money. Sad that Burris discontinued it.

I have an XTRIII 3-18 non Illuminated in the SCR2 reticle. Have used it for hunting and yeah you kinda need it on 5-6 power. Really great scope for th money. Sad that Burris discontinued it.

They didn’t discontinue the XTRIII. They updated it and made it better. You can still get a 3-18 but you get illumination now. Now you have a little thicker reticle and illumination when wanting to use it on 3x.

The illum reticle is thicker than the non-illum model. I've heard the illum model fixes a number of the issues of the non-illum ones. If you don't mind sharing (if it's a commercial source), where are you seeing that price? I'm interested in grabbing one. If it's a PX sell or something, have at it.
    EuroOptic... They're closing them out, because they are the older discontinued USA production XTR-III scopes (non-ilium).

As @Rob01 stated, they did NOT discontinue the XTR-III scopes. Just that one particular model, and they moved production to Philippines, and added and illuminated reticle, and updated the scope to the SCR 2 reticle. And from what I've been told by several folks, it's actually an upgrade in quality.

Reactions: Birddog6424
    As @Rob01 stated, they did NOT discontinue the XTR-III scopes. Just that one particular model, and they moved production to Philippines, and added and illuminated reticle, and updated the scope to the SCR 2 reticle. And from what I've been told by several folks, it's actually an upgrade in quality.
    I haven't seen them stocked anywhere. On normal websites or wholesalers

EuroOptic... They're closing them out, because they are the older discontinued USA production XTR-III scopes (non-ilium).

I thought he was talking about the illum model and was hopeful, but even the illum models go for $1100 new now. I wish you could get an illum model with the SCR reticle, I really dislike how busy the SCR2 is. I'd like to pick one up for hunting.

I thought he was talking about the illum model and was hopeful, but even the illum models go for $1100 new now. I wish you could get an illum model with the SCR reticle, I really dislike how busy the SCR2 is. I'd like to pick one up for hunting.
    I have the SCRII model and use it for hunting. Love that scope.