• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes XTR RINGS IN EGW HD BASE

chadm

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2011
I just received my EGW HD 20moa base and Burris XTR rings last night. I was looking at them and noticed a lot of slop in the fit between the rings and the base. It seems like there is about 1/8" - 3/16" or more play front to back. Is this normal. This my first build so I am not sure how it is supposed to fit, but it seemed like much more play than I expected. Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: XTR RINGS IN EGW HD BASE

The XTR rings are made to fit picatinny or weaver bases. Thats why there is extra room in your EGW slots. Just push the ring tight against the front of the slot, toward the muzzle and tighten and you'll be fine.

I have that exact same setup. I noticed that myself (but I'd estimate more like 1/16; 1/8 is A LOT of wiggle room). However after 65 ft lbs of torque I doubt it really matters. ALTHOUGH the alignment argument is a pretty good one. I just push mine firmly up againt the front or back of a grove and torque them accordingly.

My guess is that one or both mfg design them this way so that they don't seen a lot of returns because "these rings don't fit my base" or "this base doesn't work with my rings" etc.

My .02 (still consider myself a noob so take it for what it's worth)

My XTR rings on Badger and Night force base have a good amount fore and aft movement (not sure if it is quite an 1/8 but it feels like it). When I mount the rings I will load them forward so they do not move under recoil (imagine when the rifle fires, recoil wants to push the rifle into your shoulder and the scopes mass wants to stay where it is, so the result is the rings want to move forward against the base.If the rings cross bolts is already against the bases forward lug,the rings cannot move forward.)

This is normal and should cause you no problems. Most rings have a little fore and aft play, the xtrs I have used just seem to have more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chadm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just received my EGW HD 20moa base and Burris XTR rings last night. I was looking at them and noticed a lot of slop in the fit between the rings and the base. It seems like there is about 1/8" - 3/16" or more play front to back. Is this normal. This my first build so I am not sure how it is supposed to fit, but it seemed like much more play than I expected. Thanks in advance for the help! </div></div>

The Picatinny Rail locking slot width is 0.206 in. The Weaver Rails have a slot width of 0.180 in.

Rings designed to fit Weaver will fit on most Picatinny rails; but Picatinny spec'd rings will not fit on Weaver Spec'd rails.