• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes XTR Rings, To the left or Right?OK it's Bushnell

Seekers

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2009
Newman Lake WA
Does it matter which way these are mounted?

I recently mounted these to the left, mounting bolts same side as a left handed bolt would be, and I have a problem.

Equipment:

New Rem 700 5R
Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24X40
EGW +20 BASE
Burris ETR Rings (LOW)

First shot at 25 yards high left, by the time I adjust right I have no windage adjustment leftover. I am almost right on.

I took scope off, not out of rings, re-centered (by count) cross hairs, remounted and returned to range.

First shot in same place as before.

Scope responds to both adjustments and rifle groups fine.

Does anyone think that turning rings around will help?

Or any other suggestions? Other than gunsmith? That is my last resort as cash is in short supply.

Thanks for any help

Seekers

Re: XTR Rings, To the left or Right?

Try swapping the rings around. Not left to right, but front to back. That should at least show if the rings are out of spec.

I'm gonna watch this thread closely. I just mounted a 4200 Tactical on a precision AR and had to use almost all my left windage for a 100 yd zero. I'm wondering if it's the scopes.

The nuts have to be to the left. Look at the lug on the bottom and see why.

If you mount them with the nut to the right the round part of the pin would be the lug against the rail.

It needs to be to the left.

if the change from back to front doesn't change anything how do I verify or narrow it down to the scope?

If the front to back changes nothing, it may not be your scope. It may be your barrel. Is it free floated or could there be pressure against it? It sounds like your scope is tracking fine. We are just trying to narrow down your problem. Also, since I don't have one; How much windage adjustment does your scope have?

I checked them at the same time and compared them this time.

Elevation: 219 clicks @ 1/8 = 27.37 MOA

Wind: 192 clicks @ 1/8 = 24 MOA

Is this the lost wind adjustment?

Or at least some of it...

On the barrel issue:

I mounted the Rem 5R in a Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist A2 you can see here:

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-110/Bell-Carlson-tactical-700/Detail

After torque to 60 INCH pounds I slid a piece of paper up the stock that seemed to go unobstructed.

Seekers

An additional note on wind adjustment:

The adjustment seems to get harder as you get to the end of adjustment, last 2-5 clicks. Let's say tighter going either way.

The elevation stays the same tension through out the adjustment.

This does not seem to be good news about the scope.

The nuts go to the left. I doubt it is the scope. I have run into a couple sets of Burris XTR rings that were mismatched causing me to use up a bunch of windage to get zeroed. I will no longer be using them on new builds. Is this a new to you build? Have you tried any other rings or scopes on this receiver barrel setup. I have found misaligned or tollerance stacked errors that can cause this. Try swapping the rings front to back to see if it's the rings. If it turns out to be in the rifle a set of Burris Signature Zee rings will allow you to get 20 MOA back using the offset inserts sideways.

Sorry for not getting back to you on this,

this is a new rifle and new parts.

I've had another person on here get back to me that had the exact same problem with the same scope.

They sent it back to Bushnell and after they got it back the problem was fixed.

I'm in the process of sending mine back.

Thanks for all the feedback and help on this. I'll let you know when I get it back, hopefully 10-14 days.

I'll let the other folks add their experience if they want.

Thank you again,

Seekers

Hmm, I always point my nuts to the right to keep them out of my line of sight with my left eye. I have these rings on my 308 pointed to the right with no issues. I dont remember what the crossbolts look like, are you saying they are round on one side and a flat milled on the other side? And I assume you mean this flat is supposed to rest against the front of the slot it is in for recoil reasons?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm, I always point my nuts to the right to keep them out of my line of sight with my left eye. I have these rings on my 308 pointed to the right with no issues. I dont remember what the crossbolts look like, are you saying they are round on one side and a flat milled on the other side? And I assume you mean this flat is supposed to rest against the front of the slot it is in for recoil reasons?</div></div>

Yes, they are flat on one side and round on the other. They can be pounded out and turned 90 degrees and then the ring can be put on the other way. Typically, you would want them on the left side (for right handers) so they wouldn't impose on thing like bolt manipulation and spent cartridge ejection.

Bret, thanks for the link. I just sent my Bushnell back to the factory today and hope that will cure all my problems.

I will post the results when it is returned,

Seekers

It will not realy effect anything if the round side of the cross bolt is used for a recoil lug, after all it is only a 308 and the mounts should not slip once they are tightened up. they should be able to be fitted either way because i hate to say it apparently there are left handers that like the nuts tot he right and i am not one of these. Also wever makes rings that only have a round cross bolt not realy mil spec but they work fine for a lot of people. If you do have an issue it is always worth swapping the rings over so the tensioning bolts or nuts are on the opposite side and checking that they dont change the situation you dont have to run them that way it is just a diagnosis tool.

I hope that it is your scope and that it gets fixed because it can be hard when youa re trying to get a rifle built on a tight budget, But as mentioned above if when the scope comes back if it is the same just get a set of Burris Z Rings and use the ofset inserts to zero the scope correctly.

The Z Rings have a screw that is round and they can go either way but it wont effect the performance of them handling recoil.

Good ideas and input, thanks Bill
I have to admit that I hope I don't need them, :)

I'm at the frustrated to death part. Finally have rifle set up and can't shoot it!

Seekers

I confirmed with the post office that Bushnell got my scope on 9-29 at the latest but hadn't heard a word from them.

I contacted customer support and asked about it because I was told that they send out post cards when they receive repair items.

Bushnell Customer Service Response:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once this is logged into our system they will send a post card with your repair number. I would give this a few more days.
</div></div>

The Hide member that had the same problem had his scope back 10 days after shipping, I guess he got lucky. I'm 10 days out and not even logged in yet.

I hope they get it fixed right when they get to it.

I hate down time... :-(

Thanks again for all the help,

Seekers

I was contacted by Bushnell, a Hide member actually, that offered to track it down and take a personal hand in making sure this was taken care of properly.

Beginning to see why the other Hide member is so happy with his Bushnell repair too.

Thanks so much,

Seekers

Got the scope back from Bushnell and hope to get to range within the week.

Scope goes through entire range of adjustments smoothly. Dealing with Bushnell, or with Hide member, was a pleasure.

Will post with range report when available.

Thanks again for all the support,

Seekers

i had great luck with bushnell. i bought a used scope from a member that had a stiff zoom ring. sent it to bushy and a week later i had a brand new model delivered to my door. they did it before with another scope that didnt meet the advertised elevation travel

I agree, they sure treated me good and would never hesitate to purchase any of their products knowing how they stand behind them.

They also sent me an offer to by other Bushnell products at 30-40% off. They obviously don't know how broke I am. LOL

Seekers

I got to the range today. I already had the Vortex, from the group buy, mounted since it got here first and it shot great.

Definitely not the rings.

We got a late start so I didn't get a chance to switch out to the Bushnell but I found out it wasn't the rings which was important and I finally got to shoot some which was very satisfying.

New set up shoots great and I'm very impressed with the Vortex Crossfire 6-24X50 Mil Dot for $99 from SWFA, be sure to check out the group buy section if you haven't seen it yet.

Seekers