• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

XTR3 vs MK5 vs NX8

timk311

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2022
How does the XTR 3.3-18 compare with the Mark 5 3.6-18 and NX8 2.5-20

Everyone seems to like them and say it has a great FOV but the NX8 has an even better FOV. The MK5 FOV kinda sucks but I like everything else about it.
Camera land has the xtr3 for $999
I can get the MK5 for and the NX8 for around &1600
If the XTR3 is in the same league than it would make sense to go that way for the price.
I don’t really care for illumination as I never use it
Also NX8 comes in SFP which I prefer but not a deciding factor

The NX8 FOV numbers listed in their promo material are wrong on both the 20x and 32x.

I've had them side by side, the Burris has a larger FOV in both models.

Own all 3. I think the Mk5 is the top of the three, but they are all pretty close. Mk5 has a better eye box and turrets to me. The Burris is a heavy SOB. If weight doesn’t matter, it’s hard to beat the price of the Burris.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Own all 3. I think the Mk5 is the top of the three, but they are all pretty close. Mk5 has a better eye box and turrets to me. The Burris is a heavy SOB. If weight doesn’t matter, it’s hard to beat the price of the Burris.

It's only a 3oz difference.

And you can call me bias, I'm on the Burris shooting team, but I've seen it go both ways as to which has the best glass often enough that I wouldn't want to bet on the difference. But the Burris blows the MK5 out of the water in eyebox, and sight picture.

Every MK5 I've ever looked through is like looking through a tunnel to me, I see a thick black scope tube all around it. The Burris is edge to edge glass and phenomenal FOV. After spending so much time behind XTRIIIs, a MK5 would drive me nuts. 😉

To the OP, If I were choosing between the three, the NX8 wouldn't be a consideration. Its not as well rounded as either of the other two. I agree with Jcreid06, both the Burris and the Leupold will treat you great.

Last edited:
Reactions: supercorndogs
FOV "eye box" apparent FOV all go to the Burris. I kept my XTRIII and sold my MK5. I thought the glass was pretty much same same and the Burris is only about 3 OZ heavier. I also have the 5.5-30 and I really like it too. The burris is very well thought out design, besides the knurling reminding me of some medieval torture device.

iu

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the three. Have the Burris XTR 3 3.3-18 and nightforce NX8 2.5-20. The burris is an extremely nice scope for the sub 1,000 with the CameraLand Deal. Good FOV and glass. biggest knocks are the lack of illumination and extremely tactical turrets. Torture device description by SuperCorndogs pretty much describes it. With that being said you WILL NOT find a better all around scope for $1,000.00 IMO. I liked the first one so much I ordered a second one, don't even have anything to put it on yet. Just liked it that much for the $$. Its chunky but very comfortable to get behind and shoot with.

I feel the NX8 has slightly better glass to my eyes and prefer the turrets and Zero stop function over the Burris. Also the extra 2x on top is nice. Re-sale value, if that matters, will be much better on the Nightforce as well. Parallax is definitely pickier though. I think there is some sample variation in glass going on with the early NX8s which may have caused some bad reviews. Overall I find it a very nice scope for certain applications but it does have a drawbacks to the 8x erector and lower price point. I wouldn't reccomend it for a PRS competition but it has its place for sure.

Beware of some of the posters here who are obvious fan boys for a particular brand. Sometimes they admit it, sometimes they don't. Its obvious they hate on NIghtforce, Leupold, etc...If possible I'd highly encourage to look thru them ALL if possible and see what you think.

If price is a factor then go with the Burris. The other two, even if slightly better aren't 1.5x better.

Reactions: Birddog6424
For the money the Burris beats the MK5. I have owned a few of both. I have no experience with the NX8.

Own all 3. I think the Mk5 is the top of the three, but they are all pretty close. Mk5 has a better eye box and turrets to me. The Burris is a heavy SOB. If weight doesn’t matter, it’s hard to beat the pr
I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the three. Have the Burris XTR 3 3.3-18 and nightforce NX8 2.5-20. The burris is an extremely nice scope for the sub 1,000 with the CameraLand Deal. Good FOV and glass. biggest knocks are the lack of illumination and extremely tactical turrets. Torture device description by SuperCorndogs pretty much describes it. With that being said you WILL NOT find a better all around scope for $1,000.00 IMO. I liked the first one so much I ordered a second one, don't even have anything to put it on yet. Just liked it that much for the $$. Its chunky but very comfortable to get behind and shoot with.

I feel the NX8 has slightly better glass to my eyes and prefer the turrets and Zero stop function over the Burris. Also the extra 2x on top is nice. Re-sale value, if that matters, will be much better on the Nightforce as well. Parallax is definitely pickier though. I think there is some sample variation in glass going on with the early NX8s which may have caused some bad reviews. Overall I find it a very nice scope for certain applications but it does have a drawbacks to the 8x erector and lower price point. I wouldn't reccomend it for a PRS competition but it has its place for sure.

Beware of some of the posters here who are obvious fan boys for a particular brand. Sometimes they admit it, sometimes they don't. Its obvious they hate on NIghtforce, Leupold, etc...If possible I'd highly encourage to look thru them ALL if possible and see what you think.

If price is a factor then go with the Burris. The other two, even if slightly better aren't 1.5x better.
I’ve looked through the NX8 and mark5 but no one around here has an xtr3 to look through. Don’t know if I should buy it sight unseen or not.
I’m not into PRS just hunting and target

I have the XTR 3 5.5x30 and the Mark5 5x25 so not exact scopes. I can not tell a difference in glass between the 2 personally, I seem to prefer the Mark5 overall, but just from the price you can get the XTR 3 for right now, that is the way I would go.

If your using it for the hunting, the lack of illumination on the XTR 3 could be an issue, depending on where your using it. I think out in the Western states or more open areas it would be fine. Although it is FFP, the reticle is still pretty visible at 3X and gets very bold at the upper end of the mag range, they did a good job designing it. In the Eastern whitetail woods where the timber is dark it wouldn't be my first choice. it would work but definately not optimal. The 2nd Focal plane NX8 or Leupold MK5 is better for that application without a doubt though.

Reactions: Jack's Dad