• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

XTRIII or Tango 6?

sniper79_98

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2009
USA
Good evening,

I’ve found deals on both a 3-18 XTR and Tango 6 of similar magnification. Anyone had both? What do you prefer?

Okay, I will bite. I have notoriously not been a Burris fan, but every now and then, they have a scope of great value, and I think the 3-18 XTR3 is one of those scopes. Furthermore, you find a number of members who speak highly of that scope. Conversely, I have been a fan of the Sig Tango 6, while just about nobody else is. Sig is doing more and more with their optics and every year, they come up with something new. So, the Tango 6 is solid. The 1-6x has become quite popular as the military has adopted it, and now some are all made in the USA. Their MSR line, which is a budget scope in LPVO is like the budget Burris and Vortex line, and one heck of a value with a mount included.

Now, back to your situation. I think you will do fine with either. What I will tell you is that resale on a mid-magnification or long range Tango6 is not good, if you go to sell or trade. Burris is not that great either, but my guess is that with the popularity of the XTR3, you would not have a problem trading-up.

Mostly, I would choose based upon the reticle. I am not a fan of the SCR2, but it is a personal thing, so look at each reticle and flip a coin. If you expanded your budget a little, the Leupold Mark 5 HD in 3-18 will give you more reticle choices, and the Nightforce NX8 is a smidge more.

Commercially, we sell Burris, Leupold, Nightforce Sig and others, and if we can help you make a purchase, DM me.

Most of the guys posting about the XTR3 seem to be more than satisfied with the scope overall and how it compares to others in the same class. I have a Burris XTR Pro, Sig Tango6 in 5-30 and three Leupold MK5's. When I got the Burris I spent two evenings comparing each hoping to declare a dog of the bunch and sell it. I still have ALL of them. No dog. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. I have a platform for each and will not be making any changes. These are all above the price point of the XTR3- but not much. Find the reticle you want and let that guide you.

Reactions: sniper79_98
I have 2 of each. 2 of the Burris XtrIII 3-18, and 2 of the Sig tango6 3-18×, one each of the original 30mm, and newer 35mm with the level plex reticle.

They are both excellent, but I see them very differently. The Burris is a big heavy tactical scope, very robust, and the sig is short and seems much lighter (I've never weighed them). It's 44mm vs 50mm, and significantly shorter than the Burris.

Reactions: sniper79_98