• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tjn260

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2021
Tn
Picked up a 40-xb in 308 and she's needing glass. Looking really hard at the 3.3-18 xtr iii, and the cronus btr gen 2 as well. Not really looking to spend more than 1400 on glass for this particular rifle. Is there anything else that stacks up to these two optics for around the same price? I'll be using the rifle for punching paper and steel out to 1000 yards, and weight really isn't a concern as I have other hunting rifles. Would like to hear some opinions and experiences comparing scopes in this price range.

Reactions: Nathan11B
If the weight isn't an issue, I'm a fan of the Cronus here. I preferred it to the XTR3. I don't have much time behind the XTR Pro, but I think the Cronus glass suites me better; it seems less sensitive to CA at less than perfect eye alignment.

Otherwise, there are quite a few LOW made scopes in that price range; Trijicon Tenmile, Vortex Razor LHT, Eotech Vudu, Tract Toric, Maven, Sig Tango6 etc...

Also the bushnell elites are supposed to be really nice. I haven’t looked through the new ones yet.

I’m personally running 2 xtr3’s and just received my pro. Planning on picking up atleast 1 xtr3i once the initial feedback is out on them. I’m really liking the XTR3s, I sold a kahles gen 3 and replaced with an xtr3 and am very happy.

I had considered the razor hd lht too but most of the reading I've done on it say the turrets leave a bit to be desired, already have one scope with mush turrets (vx3i lrp) and would rather them have at least some decent feel. Im sure the lht turrets are better than that leupy but are they as good as scopes that cost the same? I can get the lht 4 5-22 a bit cheaper than a cronus also.

I am also wondering how the illum version stacks up to the non illum being they supposedly changed manufacturing from USA to the Phillipines I think?

Picked up a 40-xb in 308 and she's needing glass. Looking really hard at the 3.3-18 xtr iii, and the cronus btr gen 2 as well. Not really looking to spend more than 1400 on glass for this particular rifle. Is there anything else that stacks up to these two optics for around the same price? I'll be using the rifle for punching paper and steel out to 1000 yards, and weight really isn't a concern as I have other hunting rifles. Would like to hear some opinions and experiences comparing scopes in this price range.

XTR III = made in USA
Athlon = chinesium

The choice, at least for me, is pretty easy

Reactions: T J
I had considered the razor hd lht too but most of the reading I've done on it say the turrets leave a bit to be desired, already have one scope with mush turrets (vx3i lrp) and would rather them have at least some decent feel. Im sure the lht turrets are better than that leupy but are they as good as scopes that cost the same? I can get the lht 4 5-22 a bit cheaper than a cronus also.
The LHT turrets are not as good as either the XTRs (any) or the Cronus. They are also limited to 11.5 mrad up and 0.5 mrad down when using the zero stop. So, if you need 12 mrad or dial rapidly the LHT is probably not the best option.
I am also wondering how the illum version stacks up to the non illum being they supposedly changed manufacturing from USA to the Phillipines I think?
Along these lines, it should also be noted the Cronus illumination is far brighter than the XTR Pro's.

I have one and they are made in the Philippines. Exceptional optic!

OP get the 5.5-30 not the 3.3-18

Its much better optically according to word on the street.

I don't have the 5-30 but the 3-18 I received is pretty darn nice even at the upper range. The lower range is the only FFP scope I have used where the reticle is still usable at 3.3x

Reactions: Tjn260
Pro is US, original xtr3, US, and the new XTR3i is made in the Philippines but using the same glass as the original.

I have an original 3-18 and 5-30. My samples the 3-18 looses glass quality toward the top and the 5-30 has better glass across the whole mag range. The 3-18 is still a really nice optic but the 5-30 in my samples is better.

I still wouldn’t be afraid of the 3-18, and am planning on another to replace a bushnell lrhs.

Used both and like both, I have a XRR3 and for $1,000 I chose it over the chronus as a better net value but if I paid close the same not either ide choose chronus

I have not noticed a big difference between my 5.5-30 and 3.3-18. I think mine might say 5.5-28 on the box. I would have to go look. It was a pretty early one. The only sub 2000 scope i liked as much as the xtr3 is the MK5.

It's really hard to make comparisons when looking at 2 different power levels without specialized testing equipment to set a baseline. Every human eye perceives differences as the same applies to hearing. When you have 2 scopes of different power levels/ranges, almost impossible to adjust each one to the exact power level for the comparison, again, without equipment, The one that might be adjusted slightly higher will probably be perceived as being "better" than the other.

Best you can hope for is to get one from a known, well established manufacture and hope your eyes really like what they see!

Reactions: Tjn260 and adubeau
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I think im gonna go with the xtr3, and if I like it enough it may replace my MPO and vx3i lrp with them.

The Cameraland deal is great for great glass. Just know the turret knobs are very sharp and rather uncomfortable. May require a rubber or neoprene band or cover over them.
Truly, it's like no one even tried them first or gave them a second thought other than "that looks cool".

Truly, it's like no one even tried them first or gave them a second thought other than "that looks cool".
I actually said it looked to aggressive when it was still just some prototypes running around. And the first threads were made here. Most people were like, "na, I needs the xtra traction." "I like the aggressive look." Ya ya, like boggers on a mall cruiser, you will regret it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I would buy turret caps that are a little less aggressive if Burris were to make some and sell them.

I like to make jokes about them, but I don't dislike them.

The Cameraland deal is great for great glass. Just know the turret knobs are very sharp and rather uncomfortable. May require a rubber or neoprene band or cover over them.
My 10 year old daughter just ran a US made 5.5-30 in a 1 day match. There were zero complaints about the knobs. Also, this is normally on my wife's gun who has also never complained. The knobs are more aggressive than normal, but this shit is way overblown.

My 10 year old daughter just ran a US made 5.5-30 in a 1 day match. There were zero complaints about the knobs. Also, this is normally on my wife's gun who has also never complained. The knobs are more aggressive than normal, but this shit is way overblown.

Pre-match photo? :D

564cbf4a5dc73b59b448707d73d2af0b--daughters-smoking.jpg

3.3-18 is on its way along with some seekins rings and a nf base. Really wish I could have found a 5.5-30 scr2 in stock at euro optic or cameraland but hopefully the 18x will be decent, I hope it has better glass than my nxs but we shall see.

But if guys hands are sore from turning an elevation knob, how are they gonna twist the top off their post match Zima?

How about a post match photo? The photo with the trophy is from the rimfire match the day before. Then one with her and the scope in question. Some guys walk around behaving like Charlie Brown and the mother fuckers think they can one-up David Goggins. (This is all in jest. If you have thin skin go away!)

Attachments

• IMG950186.jpg
    IMG950186.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG950636.jpg
    IMG950636.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 85
I actually said it looked to aggressive when it was still just some prototypes running around. And the first threads were made here. Most people were like, "na, I needs the xtra traction." "I like the aggressive look." Ya ya, like boggers on a mall cruiser, you will regret it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I would buy turret caps that are a little less aggressive if Burris were to make some and sell them.

I like to make jokes about them, but I don't dislike them.
The problem is that the diamonds are somewhat sharp and slippery (for lack of a better description), coupled with fairly stout tension/clicks to keep them from turning since they lack locking turrets. This means you need to grip the turret harder in your fingers while turning than pretty much any other scope I have owned. If my hands are dry or I am wearing gloves this isn't a problem, but if its hot, humid and my hands are getting sweaty down here, it becomes less fun. If you're thinking about the amount of surface area your hand is actually twisting on its not all that much compared to other setups.

This doesn't mean the scope is bad or that you shouldn't buy one, but the texture design was sub-optimal and whoever finalized it should have been wacked with a floaty pool noodle several times. Things like this are what holds something back to being "great" instead of "excellent".

I've been happy with my 3-18x and haven't noticed any image worsening as I approach the top magnification. $900 for the US version is a phenomenal price and Doug is great!

20220604_204255.jpg
20220604_203814.jpg

I've mentioned it before but I'll try again..... I received a new 3.3-18 illuminated a week ago. The turrets are no longer sharp to the touch and work comfortably without issue. Anybody buying one of the new Philippine manufactured models will not have a problem.

Now, anybody with a USA windage turret (external) interested in parting with it at a fair price?

The problem is that the diamonds are somewhat sharp and slippery (for lack of a better description), coupled with fairly stout tension/clicks to keep them from turning since they lack locking turrets. This means you need to grip the turret harder in your fingers while turning than pretty much any other scope I have owned. If my hands are dry or I am wearing gloves this isn't a problem, but if its hot, humid and my hands are getting sweaty down here, it becomes less fun. If you're thinking about the amount of surface area your hand is actually twisting on its not all that much compared to other setups.

This doesn't mean the scope is bad or that you shouldn't buy one, but the texture design was sub-optimal and whoever finalized it should have been wacked with a floaty pool noodle several times. Things like this are what holds something back to being "great" instead of "excellent".

I've been happy with my 3-18x and haven't noticed any image worsening as I approach the top magnification. $900 for the US version is a phenomenal price and Doug is great!

View attachment 7917294View attachment 7917295
My 3.3-18 is tight for about 2 mils then smooth. My 5.5-30 is pretty smooth but reasonably stiff. The mag rings are a little stiff though. I was definitely also surprised it made it to market with that knurling. Beating with a pool noodle is about the perfect description. Not really bad, a case of trying to be different making it not better. Maybe someone like Kenton Industries will see the market and make modified turrets for them. I have a drill sand paper and spray paint for that matter. Anyone want to be my test dummy? :ROFLMAO:

The PX4i I had was like that. It had really aggressive knurling and mine was stupid stiff on the POI adjustments. It just made it not fun for me to use.

I've mentioned it before but I'll try again..... I received a new 3.3-18 illuminated a week ago. The turrets are no longer sharp to the touch and work comfortably without issue. Anybody buying one of the new Philippine manufactured models will not have a problem.

Now, anybody with a USA windage turret (external) interested in parting with it at a fair price?
Can we get a close up pic of the new model?

Not sure a photo will give you what you want.... I did notice that the windage "cap" is noticeably sharper than the elevation turret but you really don't crank on a cap so it does not matter. The turret inside is GTG.

If you look at the edge of the turret, you'll see that it isn't aggressive or sharp. Don't have the original so nothing to compare with.

Attachments

• XTR 3 turret.jpg
    XTR 3 turret.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: RFutch
Someone on here said the knurling was rough even for a “something something engineer” I just laughed like ok pussy.

To the original question, I had the 5-30 on a bergera 22 and have a 3-18 on a ar as my version of a mk12. The 30 got Hawkins precision rings and ar got jp one piece mount. If weight is not a concern I would go with the 30. Just be nice to have that extra mag. For the most part you will run it in the 12-22 power range anyways. I love both of the scopes and if I was to come across a used one at a price I couldn’t say no I would grab it immediately.

Here are cool guy pics because why not.

Attachments

• 26BE7CE6-9918-4BE0-A77D-BCF28468D90F.jpeg
    26BE7CE6-9918-4BE0-A77D-BCF28468D90F.jpeg
    508 KB · Views: 71
  • 9FAC7C8D-1EF3-4E6B-8068-695028FAB357.jpeg
    9FAC7C8D-1EF3-4E6B-8068-695028FAB357.jpeg
    619.7 KB · Views: 65
So I received my scope yesterday, got it mounted up and made sure everything works as it should. Initial impression is that this thing is awesome glass is head and shoulders above my mpo and leupold lrp. Haven't compared it to the nxs 12-42x56 on my trg yet but I think the nxs may be a touch sharper. Oh, and the illumination IS daylight bright. Knurling isn't bad at all. Overall I'm realling digging it so far. Will add pictures this evening. Thanks gentlemen.