• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Y’all talk me out of a 22-250

king1886ranch

Minuteman
Feb 27, 2017
It’s time for a new coyote rig! I’ve been using a Savage 12fv 22-250 suppressed for about 6-7 years for prairie dogs, coyotes, deer and everything in between. I’ve always loved the cartridge but it’s time for a new rifle. That one is falling apart, it needs a new trigger and a new barrel, I think I’d rather just buy or build a new setup.

Is 22-250 the way to go or am I missing a better factory cartridge? I don’t want to reload this one, I just want to find a good factory load.

Me personally I would rather go .223. I've had issues with barrel life on the 250 in the past. My 2 cents

Me personally I would rather go .223. I've had issues with barrel life on the 250 in the past. My 2 cents

The barrel life really didn't bother me to bad, I'm used to 2,000 round barrels. I would guess that's about where mine fell apart.

One of {if not} the best varmint calibers out there. You already have all the fixin's for it. Better buy another one. Down the road you can rebarrel this one and AI, it. I have 3- 250's & 2-250AI's. Deer and goats with it, In WY. Versitale.

It’s time for a new coyote rig! I’ve been using a Savage 12fv 22-250 suppressed for about 6-7 years for prairie dogs, coyotes, deer and everything in between. I’ve always loved the cartridge but it’s time for a new rifle. That one is falling apart, it needs a new trigger and a new barrel, I think I’d rather just buy or build a new setup.

Is 22-250 the way to go or am I missing a better factory cartridge? I don’t want to reload this one, I just want to find a good factory load.

22-250 is a fabulous round for your purposes and factory ammo is plentiful (as are reloading components in case you change your mind!). If want to stay in the "mid-range" of prices and want to switch brands, then try out Tikka's offerings.

It is in the same overbore class as the 25-06. I shoot and reload both and love them.

I'd also take a look at a .243. Would allow you to use 100 grain loads for deer, but can still get down to 55 grain varmint loads at 3900+fps as well. For a deer and coyote gun with factory ammo, its tough to beat. Especially if barrel life isn't a major factor, which for hunting guns is often the case.

If you shoot prairie dogs a lot more than deer and coyotes, then maybe 22-250 would still be better. Light, fast bullets tends to be the most fun there. For me, the ideal prairie dog gun, barrel be damned, is a .204.

If your suppressor is a 5.56 can, that might also be a reason NOT to upsize to .243.

I'm more of a 6mm fan, but if it's already been working for you this long then why change? If you got 6-7 years out of a barrel I'd say barrel like isn't a concern.

Reactions: TACC
Seems we're failing to talk you out of it.
A 243 also seems well suited to your needs. It might be a bit less of a "barrel burner", but (AFAIK) lacks a cheap / bulk ammo option for prairie dogs.
Those 22-250 Winchester 45gr hollow points are pretty cheap and make a mess of them.
I have both, but in your shoes, I'd probably stick with the 250.

I have a Remington 700 VLS in .22-250. I purchased it back in the mid 90s. Since then I've put a KRG Whiskey 3 chassis, Timney Calvin Elite trigger and Vortex PST Viper 5-25X Gen II scope on it.

The rifle has taken a lot of groundhogs. The only problem is that the barrel twist is the 1:12. Which is too slow for heavier bullets. The maximum effective range that I've been able to shoot is 600 yards. Beyond that it's a matter of extreme luck if I hit a groundhog.

Right now, I have several thousand rounds loaded with 55 grain bullets. After those are all shot, I plan on putting a barrel with a twist of 1:9 to shoot heavier bullets.

Bergara is producing a rifle in .22-250 with the 1:9 twist. So there must be something to it or else a company like them wouldn't be making a rifle with fast twist rifling.

The advantage to a fast twist barrel in .22 caliber is obvious to all of us. The only problem you will have with a fast twist barrel is shooting the traditional light weight bullets. I don't plan on doing that as barrel life would be pretty short.

If I were you, I would re-barrel the rifle with a fast twist barrel and shoot the heavier bullets.

The 55 grain Hornady V-max has a B/C of .255 (G1) and the 88 grain ELD Match has a B/C of .545.

The V-max load in my rifle has been chronographed at 3625 FPS. That gives it a drop of 66 inches and drift in 10 MPH crosswinds of 45 inches at 600 yards.

Let's say I can push the 88 grain ELD at 2600 FPS out of my rifle with reloaded ammunition. According to JBM the drop on the bullet at 600 yards from my rifle would be about 97 inches; an increase of about 31 inches. That's the bad news and range estimation is critical. However, the wind drift for a 10 MPH crosswind compared to the lighter bullet is about 29 inches for a difference of 16 inches less drift.

The increased drop of the heavier bullet is the price that I'm willing to pay for less wind drift. That may not be acceptable for some folks but I'm use to shooting a .45-70 at those distances so anything flatter than that round is a big improvement for me:)

I would not advise anyone to purchase a new rifle in .22-250 but since I have a ton of brass, the rifle with all of it's upgrades, buying a new barrel and loading heavier bullets makes sense for me right now.

Reactions: Broncovan
I talked myself out of replacing my burned out 22-250. I had a custom 22 Creedmoor built. You don't even need to reload, you can get ammo from Copper Creek.

I'd never try to talk you out of a 22-250 for a coyote gun. I'm hoping to pick one up myself for that same purpose.

I watched a video of an interview with a WWII veteran about the M-1 Garand. Some of the questions asked of him were about HIS M-1 Garand.

I'm paraphrasing his answer but it basically went like this: "Ya'll assume that I carried only one rifle during the war. I went through three M-1 rifles. They either got shot out or broke on me."

Nothing lasts forever and the only way to keep something from getting scratched, broke or wore out is to not use it.

22-250 is a great cartridge for what your intended purpose is.if you just want something different you could always go the Ackley improved version or step up a little to the 243 or 6mm or step down a bit to 223 or 204.

Love my 22-250. Never used it for coyotes, prairie dogs only. If I wore it out today I'd buy another tomorrow! Mine is a Howa and it is a tack driver. Check one out if you can. Brownells sells barreled actions and I believe they carry a threaded 22-250. Lots of good stock options too.

22-250 is ok. I personally love the 220 Swift when talking about 22 caliber varmint rifles. Just something about the Swift.

Ive pondered around the idea of making a long range rig in 220. 8 twist shooting some 75gr+ at 3200 fps. Insanely flat shooting. Bucks the wind nicely too. No recoil. May do it soon.

I, too like the 22-250, & have one of the Remington 700 VS's. The biggest problem I see, & others have said, is the normal factory twist rates. 1-14, & a few 1-12...... That's fine for those screaming 40-55 grain bullets, But, I feel something closer to a 1-8 twist would be much better with heavier bullets to buck-the-wind, better for longer distances..... Just my $0.02 worth..... Ha ha.... Idaho-5R

Why limit yourself to one additional rifle? ;)

I have a very inexpensive .22-250 that is lights out accurate with handloads. It's honestly probably the best grins-to-dollars ratio gun I have. 52gr SMK's flying at close to 4000 fps are simply delightful to send at prairie dogs :cool:. I take it to the range every once in a while and friends simply can't believe that a 20 year old ruger M77 with pencil barrel and non free floating plastic stock shoots 1-hole groups at 100yards.
DSCN3113.JPG

22-250 is ok. I personally love the 220 Swift when talking about 22 caliber varmint rifles. Just something about the Swift.

Ive pondered around the idea of making a long range rig in 220. 8 twist shooting some 75gr+ at 3200 fps. Insanely flat shooting. Bucks the wind nicely too. No recoil. May do it soon.
I'm with you. Loved my swift in a m700 vssf. But yes, most are in a slow twist barrel. But something about a 50 grain @ 4000 fps at impact.

Reactions: 308220
The 22-250 is a good one, the only thing making it not a great one is the fact most commercial rifles are 1-12 twist. I myself would opt for a .223 with the ability to employ 75-90 grain bullets.

My 22-250 barrel replacement will be 22-250AI. That 22-250AI is only a consideration if you reload.

I've owned several 22-250's and really enjoy the caliber. The one I own currently sports a Shilen 1 in 9 twist bbl. It sounds like the OP wants an all around rifle for varmints and deer. The 22-250 will get the job done, but I think a 243 would be more versatile, especially since he doesn't reload. A 55 gr. bullet is lights out on coyotes. A 90-100 gr. bullet will be more reliable on deer. Just my 2 cents.

Had one as a truck gun for probably 10 years killed lots of critters with it lots of drt kills on deer. Recently replaced it with a .223 once you figure out what ammo to run it’s really just a toss up between calibers.

Stick with the 22-250 . Does an awesome job and cheap to run . If you reloaded , a 1-9 twist to run 65 sierra Game Kings would be golden . Just one opinion .

If you choose a 243 a 1:8 twist has treated me well. I couldn't get 55gr loads to group but now shoot 90gr nosler ballistic tips that shoot very well compared to the 100 gr factory ammo I used for years. I have used the 90s to shoot whitetail and they are B.A. know the dope and the coyotes won't stand a chance either.

How about a 22 Nosler or Valkyrie?
I've never had either but if you want to try something different....

Get one with a fast twist, mine is a 1 in 8” tikka running 77 grain TMKs
FDF090AB-065C-4CC1-9D1E-CEC22A17F5B1.jpeg
B8770256-B71C-401E-912A-3A236A55B304.jpeg

Reactions: 260284
I’ve got a custom Krieger Savage Pre-fit coming chambered in 22-250 with a 1:6.5 twist. Should be interesting!

not that I would try and talk anyone out of getting another gun but if you like it , what is a new barrel a hundred and a half or so and triggers can't be that much 100 dollars that maybe 400 and installation another hundred vrs a new gun 800 to 900 or more . You already know how the old gun shots and liked the feel of it . Either way good luck and good shooting .

Ive burned up several 22-250 barrels. You have lots of choices now.

Keep the action and replace the tube with the correct twist and the contour you desire. Upgrade the trigger and stock.

Round, the 22-250 is hard to beat. You might look at a 22-243. 22 creedmoor, 22-6mm is popular up here also. I was pushing 80grners at 3500fps and not over doing it with h1000. Slower burning powder so its a bit cooler. This was with the 22-243.

Xdeano

If it’s a work gun and you are happy with the caliber I wouldn’t change anything. I would probably just order the exact same rifle from savage and run it another 6+ years.

You mentioned not wanting to reload on this one. Go .224V on this one. It's got heavy for caliber stuff in factory offering so you can keep taking deer/pigs. Then of course, varmint ammo with lighter weight stuff is there in case you want that for yotes...

What do you plan on loading with that twist?

Gosh I started this thread a year ago and just ordered that barrel a month ago. Originally I didn’t want to load for this one but I’m looking at the Berger 85.5gr or a Sierra 90 or 90gr. My kids are almost old enough to start deer hunting so that changed my course just a hair.

I like a 22-250, don’t have one at the moment but need to snag another. My last had a 10 twist shilen barrel, it shot 65 grain sierra GKs well. Good for coyotes and a few pigs..

Personally, for coyotes up to deer and 90-100gr bullets I like a 243 or more likely nowadays a 6cm. if I was putting together a new 6mm hunting rifle I’d go 8” twist, probably shoot 87 vmax if strictly for coyotes, 103eldx or maybe a 90 Sierra game changer for all around use.

Currently I’m just using a stock tikka T3x stainless 243, with a ”boring” 10 twist barrel. No high BC bullets on the menu, but it shoots federal fusion factory ammo and Nosler 95bts well. I’ve killed pigs out to 250ish yds with it

Last edited:
king1886ranch, I just noticed the revival of this tread!!!! I'm very interested in how that new barrel works out!!! A 22-250 shooting those long, high BC bullets should be very interesting!!!!! Cool idea, just keep us posted on how it all plays out!!!!!

I absolutely love my 22-250. I am just getting seriously into the coyote game and 55gr Nosler BTVs @ 3500fps hammers them.

It is so easy to load for and amazingly accurate, why would you not get another?