• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Y intercept Z intercept

Starlingsniper

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
Can anyone tell me the application for these inputs for zero calculation. I am guessing that they are used , say when you are using a different ammo and thus provides a way to reset the data to the new zero. I guess this is what its for but I am still confused as to how it really works.

What BC uses those terms? Usually it’s called offset, vertical on horizontal. And you are correct its for correcting for small variations in a zero or for switching bullets or calibers within the same system.

This one image in the link above pretty much sums up the practical use of how to enter that info:

250px-Cartesian-coordinate-system.svg.png

This one image in the link above pretty much sums up the practical use of how to enter that info:

250px-Cartesian-coordinate-system.svg.png

We live in a non-cartesian world though! (although its pretty close tbh)

Don't forget that dimension 4 is ct (speed of light multiplied by time) but has a metric of -1 rather than 1.

I'll stop being a math troll for a second:

The strange part is how they setup the orientation of the axis. Mathematically if X is the dimension to target a positive Y means LEFT position. But many times people (who write software) define positive Y to be RIGHT. Positive Z will be up regardless.

If you look at the diagram (0,0,0) is the intersection of the axis. So image you are sent there and are looking out along X (blue, traveling down and left --thats a positive X distance), positive Y will be to your left, Negative Y will be to your right. It can be flipped, but you have to take care with 3-d ballistics to make sure the angles in your trig functions are correct because rather than 30 degrees it could be 210 degrees!

Bottom line just find out if left or right is positive..

1652812210092.png

This is a standard X,Y,Z axis. It looks like Y+ is right. But since we "look" along "X" the axes is from the target's position, not the shooters. It may seem like semantics, but trust me, lining up these things matters in the math.

Mmm...Right Hand vs Left Hand Cartesian coords. Let's compute geodesics next!

Thanks for your input guys , man you guys are right into this stuff. The BC is MilDot ballistics. I have my rifle dialed right in for my match ammo. And I`m wanting to burn off some factory ammo for hunting. I really don`t want to adjust the turrets. So I figure this is what is used for and I can let the BC do the work with the hunting ammo. Thanks again