• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Yasherkians 1:1, Epistle to Home Depot

Yasherka

Irritant
Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2009
    Colorado Springs, CO
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: High praise indeed

I wanted to send a missive detailing the wonderful experience I had having a compressor repaired a couple months back.

I wanted to, but I can’t because I discovered you people are a bunch of lying thieves.

Long story short:
    I had brought in my Husky 175 psi compressor which was leaking oil. My fault as I had not secured it well enough in my trailer and it fell over. I took it to my local Home Depot on north Academy in Colorado Springs. Several days later they told me they couldn’t work on it there and had to send it to Kansas. I said to go ahead.

Several weeks later some woman called me and said they had inspected it, rattled off a list of things that were damaged/broken and it would cost over $600 to fix. I told them to send it back.

When I got it home I looked at it and decided I would try to fix it myself…I am a retired helicopter maintenance test pilot after all so I have a bit of mechanical experience. Here’s what I found:

*Zero damage inside. Nothing broken dented or damaged
    *The exact same pressure in the tank (42 psi) as when I originally dropped it off
    *No evidence the housing was ever opened
    *The wiper seal was slightly bent, allowing oil to get past it
    *The filter assembly was damaged and needed replacing

A brand new complete pump assembly was available online for $200, I assume you would be able to source it cheaper. But I decided to just replace the wiper seal and filter assembly.

Total cost: about $40 and an hour's worth of work. Since then I have ran the compressor for about 2 ½ hours with no issues.

As best I can tell your “technicians” could not be bothered to actually look at the compressor. They likely saw the cause of damage and decided that X, Y, and Z had to be done to correct the issue and then charge me more than I paid for it retail.

If you think this is a valid business model, good luck with that.

On second thought, I hope you fail under the weight of your colossal incompetence

You think big box stores actually give a fuck what you think? Lmao
    Of course not. If they did they wouldn't pull this crap. But I thought I'd put it out there as the more you know, the less likely someone else will take it up the ass. I'm not expecting a reply either but I'll post it if they do.
    They also don't have "technicians"..
    You can say that again!

This thread got me to thinking about all the shit that has broken down around the house in the last year or so.

Washer
    Dishwasher
    Refrigerator
    Nordic track
    Hot water heater
    Garage door opener
    Gas stove
    Pressure washer
    Gas logs

And no, this isn't all cheap stuff. I think they just don't give a fuck anymore and don't design stuff for reliability. They know you'll just buy another one, and that's what they want.

I fixed all of the above except for the refrigerator. It was still under warranty.

Here's the non-response....pretty much as one would expect

Hello, thank you for emailing us. We completely acknowledge the dissatisfaction here and are saddened to hear that the quality of our product did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback and will present this area of opportunity to our business partners for further improvement. Please be assured that we value your patronage and hope that you will afford us another opportunity to service your home improvement needs in the future. Thank you for being a valued customer. -Michael

Here's the non-response....pretty much as one would expect
    Completely as expected. Truth is, HD only subs out all installs and repairs. Each location and a corporate purchasing agent work to find subs that meet or say they meet contractual requirements. Therefore, it will vary considerably from location to location and even from year to year.

I had purchased a compressor years back from Home Depot . It took a crap after 3 months so took it back . They told me some bullshit about they could not honor their warranty and that my extended warranty would not be good until store warranty expired .

So I got a manager and told em who I was . Told them that last year my guys purchase over 200k in parts and over 50 k in personal tool reimbursement . My guys are now forbidden to purchase here and credit cards will be shit canned .

Welp manager says let's walk . We shoot the shit about bullshit trainings , RMA's and why employees suck . We get to the compressors and she says which one do you want . I picked what I had and she says you sure that's it . Get what you want . I was good .
    Yes I bullshitted her and yeah they bullshitted me .
    They were trying to fuck me out of my hard earned so yeah .

The true dumbass is the one that expected anybody at depot or Lowes to be able to fix anything.

1667694776664.png

The true dumbass is the one that expected anybody at depot or Lowes to be able to fix anything.

View attachment 7992330
    Wanna see your wife walk away really fast? Actually say that ^^^ to one of the employees.

And more than once I have exclaimed loudly...

"This place has everything ... Except what I'm looking for!"

Mike

I think they sub out all the work to the most desperate, low cost people they can find. We got a nee oven from best buy. It came with free installation. The installer wired the neutrals to the hot and let the smoke out...

• Haha
    Reactions: lash
    Completely as expected. Truth is, HD only subs out all installs and repairs. Each location and a corporate purchasing agent work to find subs that meet or say they meet contractual requirements. Therefore, it will vary considerably from location to location and even from year to year.

Two experiences with HD contractors. Never again. When we moved to our current home the wife want to replace the bedroom carpet with hardwood. As usual, we could not agree on a style/color. Finally found one at HD that we both liked. For some inexplicable reason (that we later discussed) she asked if he could recommend an installer. He pipes up with, "Oh we can schedule that for you." I guess I had the safety off with my finger on the trigger and fired, "That ain't happening in this lifetime." Wife gets embarrassed and the clerk starts stuttering.

• Haha
    Reactions: lash and NoDopes
    I erased the picture of the three octogenarians trying to figure out how to operate the "cut to length wire" machine.
    After two or three minutes of them trying to dig out the piece of paper with the safety code from their pockets filled with scratch papers and tissues I asked them what the store number is. They ignored me so I figured that because of their age and possible hearing difficulties I asked again but a bit louder. This time I was met with stern looks from all of them. Which I responded with, Hey the safety number is the store number. It's that way for every big box store so that the employees can remember it. Did they try it? Nope. They called the front service desk and got the number. Sure as shit I was right. Did they say anything? Nope. Now the fun begins with them trying to find 6-2 NM. Stopping the machine at every row checking the spools for the number as I am telling them to continue on because it's not on that row. They finally get to the correct row and then the eldest lady in the group wants to run run it through the counter and roll it on the spool. I explain that there's a reason for the numbers on the floor. Nope, This lady with arms that probably have difficulty brushing her teeth proceeded to role a hundred twenty five feet of 6-2. Now the search for the cable cutters begins. I see them on a shelf to the left of the wire rack and she's digging through the box like they are going to magically appear if she takes a second or a third or a fourth look. I pointed them out on the shelf and offered to cut the wire for her. Not a chance in hell was that going to happen. I swear it took her two minutes to cut the wire. Then she proceeded to use a whole roll of electric tape to wrap the wire on the spool. I guess she was worried that it was spring apart once it was taken off.
    I am sure that she was told that the customer shall not touch the equipment in her training and grandma was not going to get fired for not following the rules. 35 minutes to get some wire. Sheesh.
    They were the only place in town that had the wire or I would have left in the middle of the shit show.

Reactions: Bullfrog08
    What on earth led you to think HD could work on/fix anything? HD is a place to buy stuff when you know what you need, how to use it, how to repair it yourself and you simply need a place to get the lowest quality contractor grade product for the cheapest price.

You need help? You need repair? You need quality? GFL at HD. Sorry your compressor didn’t get fixed.…I’m amazed you even got it back. Lower your expectations?

Reactions: Bullfrog08
    Should have went to Harbor Freight,
    What on earth led you to think HD could work on/fix anything? HD is a place to buy stuff when you know what you need, how to use it, how to repair it yourself and you simply need a place to get the lowest quality contractor grade product for the cheapest price.

You need help? You need repair? You need quality? GFL at HD. Sorry your compressor didn’t get fixed.…I’m amazed you even got it back. Lower your expectations?

I needed a right drop NP241 either to swap Dana 60 into a chevy newer than 89, or to put a 4l80E in an older Blazer. I finally found one at junkyard that sold on E-Bay. The thing comes in a plastic box with ATF dripping out of it. I open up the box and its caked in the 30 years of dirtoilgrease. So i take it and power wash it. One of the case half is cracked in a place the somewhat commonly crack. I email them to let them know.

They return that their parts are rigorously inspected and that it must have been damaged is shipping.

I reposted that it would have not been possible to inspect the case since it was covered in a 1/2" grime.

Next message was an apology with a refund. They didn't even ask what i wanted. I would have definelty just taken half a housing that wasn't cracked.

I erased the picture of the three octogenarians trying to figure out how to operate the "cut to length wire" machine.
    After two or three minutes of them trying to dig out the piece of paper with the safety code from their pockets filled with scratch papers and tissues I asked them what the store number is. They ignored me so I figured that because of their age and possible hearing difficulties I asked again but a bit louder. This time I was met with stern looks from all of them. Which I responded with, Hey the safety number is the store number. It's that way for every big box store so that the employees can remember it. Did they try it? Nope. They called the front service desk and got the number. Sure as shit I was right. Did they say anything? Nope. Now the fun begins with them trying to find 6-2 NM. Stopping the machine at every row checking the spools for the number as I am telling them to continue on because it's not on that row. They finally get to the correct row and then the eldest lady in the group wants to run run it through the counter and roll it on the spool. I explain that there's a reason for the numbers on the floor. Nope, This lady with arms that probably have difficulty brushing her teeth proceeded to role a hundred twenty five feet of 6-2. Now the search for the cable cutters begins. I see them on a shelf to the left of the wire rack and she's digging through the box like they are going to magically appear if she takes a second or a third or a fourth look. I pointed them out on the shelf and offered to cut the wire for her. Not a chance in hell was that going to happen. I swear it took her two minutes to cut the wire. Then she proceeded to use a whole roll of electric tape to wrap the wire on the spool. I guess she was worried that it was spring apart once it was taken off.
    I am sure that she was told that the customer shall not touch the equipment in her training and grandma was not going to get fired for not following the rules. 35 minutes to get some wire. Sheesh.
    They were the only place in town that had the wire or I would have left in the middle of the shit show.
    At least they figured it out. They would have had to call the main office if the screen didn't tell them how much change to give someone.

Of course not. If they did they wouldn't pull this crap. But I thought I'd put it out there as the more you know, the less likely someone else will take it up the ass. I'm not expecting a reply either but I'll post it if they do.

You can say that again!
    They also don't have "technicians"..

It's gotten to the point that I consider setting things on fire in a Home Depot for when I actually need assistance with something.
    Just take a shit in one of the display toilets. That'll get em moving

It's gotten to the point that I consider setting things on fire in a Home Depot for when I actually need assistance with something.
    Actually, I've had someone quickly come up to me unsolicited and ask me if I needed some help recently.

The first two thoughts that went through my mind were "you must be new" and "you probably won't be here in a couple of days when I come back"............