• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Yea another noobie Leupold 6.5x20x50 any good

MOOSEKNUCKLE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
Ohio
I found a Leupold Vari X III6.5x20x50 long range. I am new to ARs and havent done much shooting over 100 yds. Is this type of scope usable on an AR platform? (I have a Bushy M4 .223 and and a S&W MP15 M4 in 5.45x39) both have front sight post and removable handles. If it will work, what kind of mounts would I have to get to go on the picatinny and will the front sight be a factor? What is a good price for this scope in excellent condition with box and papers. (She also has a Vari-x III 3.5x10 varmint).Thanks for any input and remember that you had to start somewhere too.

Re: Yea another noobie Leupold 6.5x20x50 any good

FWIW, the scope itself is fine. I'd be willing to put it on a good 223 varmint bolt rifle if you were after small targets (prairie dogs, etc). I would submit that it's probably a little high on the magnification for the rifles you listed and will set you up to have a pretty narrow field of view; but if it's what you want for a particular use, you should do what you want. With your fixed front sights, you'll need a mount/set of rings that are pretty high to clear it or get a good quality adaptor for your carry handles. The second part of the challenge will probably getting yourself set up to have a consistent cheekweld, which with the standard setup on AR's (mostly set up to align and allow "nose to the charging handle" and shooting with irons) you will likely need either a buttstock which has an adjustable cheek rest or a cheek pad or something. That scope will not be very forgiving of inconsistent head placement/cheekweld. The Leupold Mark4's I have that are 6.5-20 are on a 300WM and a 300WSM and I can't say I increase the mag to 20x very often and I can say that there's been a couple times I wished I could've gone lower than the 6.5 for the wider FOV. Hope it is of some help. -A

I think you would be better off with a nice Aimpoint or Eotech. If you want to go out further then you could go more expensive and get into an Acog. Those scopes are better suited for your AR's. I have an Aimpoint on my AR-15 and out to 100 to 200 yrds it is good to go. I won't be shooting dime size groups with it, but I don't expect that with my 16inch non-bbl AR-15. If you want to go out farther with good accuracy, then you likely need to get a different platform or at least a longer bbl. I assume that your AR's aren't set up for long range, but are rather like mine, from your description.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Addicted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you would be better off with a nice Aimpoint or Eotech. If you want to go out further then you could go more expensive and get into an Acog. Those scopes are better suited for your AR's. I have an Aimpoint on my AR-15 and out to 100 to 200 yrds it is good to go. I won't be shooting dime size groups with it, but I don't expect that with my 16inch non-bbl AR-15. If you want to go out farther with good accuracy, then you likely need to get a different platform or at least a longer bbl. I assume that your AR's aren't set up for long range, but are rather like mine, from your description. </div></div>
Neither one of the rifles have a bbl. Your probably right about a different platform, Ive got a generic Holosight on the 5.45x39 and I can put a full mag in a paper plate at 100 yrds. I just love looking through a scope and touching something way out there. Thanks for the help.

leupold mark 4 super high mounts will be perfect for that!

Is your AR a flattop? If so it makes it simpler. I have a Colt flattop AR15 and use an ARMS #5 mount with medium rings. I don't personally like the high or extra high rings, but a lot do. It's about what you like.

Jim