• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Yeah, its another "what bipod" question! LOL

Baron23

Check 6
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 19, 2020
    Maryland
    hi guys - I have a BT-10 on a JAE chassis ARCA rail in 6.5 man bun and its fine when the legs are collapsed down to their minimum height but wow, when they are extended as often needed for prone shooting the amount of fore/aft play in them is very unsatisfactory. I have leg extensions for it but haven't had the need to use them yet and can't imagine how much more slack and wobble I will have with them added to the mix.

I'm 69, I will not be competing in PRS/NRL type competitions (or really any competition), and panning is not a requirement. While I do have the JAE PIC rail, I really do not want to take the ARCA off as I like it and can also use it to secure to a tripod.

I'm looking for a rock solid bipod with the ability to lock the cant...truly lock it....and if it has pan, then to be able to truly lock it also.

With this in mind, I looked at the Elite Iron Revolution bipod (yeah, lots of money) but, for some unfathomable reason, they do not make an ARCA adapter for their bipod. Just PIC. I do see that Area 419 makes a pic adapter for their ARCA clamp and I like everything I own or have seen from them. Outstanding quality and workmanship. Wiser also makes a similar adapter and I'm sure I can find others.

I may go the Elite Iron/Area 419 route but I do hesitate to add adapter on top of adapter. No specific reason except the general principle of not staking interfaces one on top of another.

Also, there are some other high dollar bipods that have come out, like the Ckye-Pod Gen 2 from MDT, and it can be quite expensive to do trial and error on bipod purchases (no, I'm not a poor....just cheap! haha).

So, I'm open to any suggestions......go Elite Iron with Area 419 ARCA-PIC adapter, Ckye-Pod, what else would you suggest?

And no...I don't want a Harris! haha

Thanks for your attention to my inquiry.

TBAC
    SUPER CAL
    CKYE-POD

In that order.

My opinion only, I’ve never shot behind an Elite Iron. The first two will require the addition of a clamp but it’s not an adapter…it’s the only clamp once you add it.

Reactions: Baron23
    Thanks guys.

Looking at TBAC now.

For the Atlas CAL....while I do know that they don't have pan, is there any reason to think that the legs will be more stable when extended than the BT-10? Looks like the same leg implementation, no?
    I use both. I have no issue with either. What I like about the beast is it faster to deploy because the legs are spring loaded.

Thanks guys.

Looking at TBAC now.

For the Atlas CAL....while I do know that they don't have pan, is there any reason to think that the legs will be more stable when extended than the BT-10? Looks like the same leg implementation, no?
    The position button diameter is bigger on the CAL, which likely results in slightly less play, but generally I see a decent amount of flex in my CAL. It's not slop, but when I load it the gun definitely moves. One way to avoid this is to adjust the legs to the forward 45-degree position, the fore/aft flex goes almost to zero at the expense of up/down flex (which will be repeatable but different than with the legs in the down position).

The position button diameter is bigger on the CAL, which likely results in slightly less play, but generally I see a decent amount of flex in my CAL. It's not slop, but when I load it the gun definitely moves. One way to avoid this is to adjust the legs to the forward 45-degree position, the fore/aft flex goes almost to zero at the expense of up/down flex (which will be repeatable but different than with the legs in the down position).
    HI friend - thanks for the reply. Nah, angling 45 forward really won't answer the mail as at some ranges I have to extend the legs completely at 90 degrees in order to be able to get on a target from my position without having my cheek on the ground...haha, not sure how clear I'm being but I hope you understand.

And yes, with the BT-10, I can get up on the gun and load the bipod to take out slack but its a bunch and more movement than I wish. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I'm getting a bit up over the gun, putting it on my shoulder (really by my neck) and lowering down to my belly to load the bipod while not lowering so much that my chest is on the ground. I just find that much slack to present difficulties with taking all slack out of the bipod.

I just talked to some gal at TBAC who....well, as she said, she just answers the phone but she probably shouldn't try to respond to customer inquiries as she did with me! haha My "suggestion"...and I emphasized suggestion, is that like many other manf they should offer the TBAC bipod with optional mounting interfaces for PIC and ARCA. As it is, I would spend $395 for the bipod, take the ADM PIC mount and toss it, and then add an Area 419 ARCA clamp for another $80. She couldn't understand how this could be beneficial both them and the customer. I shouldn't even have tried! haha

@TacticalDillhole @OREGUN @Criver600 - TBAC site says "Pic mount can be removed and replaced with all B&T mounting plates, e.g. RRS, Arca Swiss" And this young lady kept saying "RRS, RRS, RRS". B&T sells the Area 419 ARCA clamp and I have one of these clamps on the BT-10 (minus the 419 locking pins) and I like 419's stuff a lot. I presume that the 419 clamp will meet the hole pattern on the TBAC and mount where the PIC adapter is installed, right? Any of you folks running the TBAC on an ARCA rail?

HI friend - thanks for the reply. Nah, angling 45 forward really won't answer the mail as at some ranges I have to extend the legs completely at 90 degrees in order to be able to get on a target from my position without having my cheek on the ground...haha, not sure how clear I'm being but I hope you understand.

And yes, with the BT-10, I can get up on the gun and load the bipod to take out slack but its a bunch and more movement than I wish. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I'm getting a bit up over the gun, putting it on my shoulder (really by my neck) and lowering down to my belly to load the bipod while not lowering so much that my chest is on the ground. I just find that much slack to present difficulties with taking all slack out of the bipod.

I just talked to some gal at TBAC who....well, as she said, she just answers the phone but she probably shouldn't try to respond to customer inquiries as she did with me! haha My "suggestion"...and I emphasized suggestion, is that like many other manf they should offer the TBAC bipod with optional mounting interfaces for PIC and ARCA. As it is, I would spend $395 for the bipod, take the ADM PIC mount and toss it, and then add an Area 419 ARCA clamp for another $80. She couldn't understand how this could be beneficial both them and the customer. I shouldn't even have tried! haha

@TacticalDillhole @OREGUN @Criver600 - TBAC site says "Pic mount can be removed and replaced with all B&T mounting plates, e.g. RRS, Arca Swiss" And this young lady kept saying "RRS, RRS, RRS". B&T sells the Area 419 ARCA clamp and I have one of these clamps on the BT-10 (minus the 419 locking pins) and I like 419's stuff a lot. I presume that the 419 clamp will meet the hole pattern on the TBAC and mount where the PIC adapter is installed, right? Any of you folks running the TBAC on an ARCA rail?
    Let’s ask them. @Zak Smith or @TBACRAY

I think the tbac will be too sloppy for your liking.
    Wow, you think it will have as much slop in it as the BT-10?

And a number of people also have mentioned CAL or SuperCAL. I get it that the CAL doesn't have pan (which is fine with me) and that the legs do not rotate. But aren't the legs pretty much jsut a small variation of the legs on the BT-10 and would have the same amount of flex?

Thanks

Reactions: [email protected]

And a number of people also have mentioned CAL or SuperCAL. I get it that the CAL doesn't have pan (which is fine with me) and that the legs do not rotate. But aren't the legs pretty much jsut a small variation of the legs on the BT-10 and would have the same amount of flex?

Thanks
    I believe I answered this second question for you already: yes, it'll have basically the same amount of flex. If you aren't happy with the BT-10, for the reasons you've stated, I don't think the CAL is your answer.

Thanks
    Yeah I think a lot of your flex js from here. I had a PSR. Hated it.

cal is solid

B6A69424-FB1D-44F5-976B-B53F24CBC1E3.jpeg

Reactions: rady and Baron23
    Did you you check the leg retaining bolts for being loose on the BT-10? I've had them loosen on a PSR.

Been thinking a lot about this.

“I'm looking for a rock solid bipod with the ability to lock the cant...truly lock it”

You know there is/needs to be some slack in the bipod, that you take out by loading it, but that supplies the range of motion needed to keep it from hopping (this is the problem with Harris)? And that most bipods with cant require the addition of a pod-loc or some at-home torque leverage to really “lock” the cant. Without the extra leverage you can keep it from being sloppy but not really lock it out. If that’s what you want, you’ll need a no-can’t model.

“It can be quite expensive to do trial and error on bipod purchases”

Damn straight. It’s super frustrating to make expensive purchase decisions based on online reviews and questionable forum responses. There’s always the often recommended, “go to a match and ask other dudes to let you touch their equipment”. Which, as I type it, sounds like a great way to get punched and also never seems realistic
    Also, if you feel inclined to take some training, sometimes you can luck out and get an opportunity to try other equipment in the class.

I also think that maybe an f-class style bipod might meet your needs. Something with a rigid design and sled feet. The caveat being that those are almost always used with a rabbit ears style rear bag and a stock designed to slide in those rabbit ears. Maybe not but it’s another avenue to explore.

I really like my Ckye-pod. It has an OEM Arca mount so no plates needed. I have a gen 1.5, I think. It took some getting used to but it’s been a part of my growth as far as consistency from prone. I could shoot well enough with my previous Harris but am much more consistent with the ckye. I don’t really like the way the legs pull out without needing to have a button pushed…which means that if you catch a foot on something, you can extend a leg “accidentally”. In matches, you can hook a foot on a prop and suddenly you have one leg out and one in. I seem to remember TBAC legs being more like notched Harris legs in that regard, it takes conscious effort to change a leg’s length. Someone might correct me on that, I don’t have one in front of me and I didn’t do a lot of leg adjusting the day I used one. On the other hand, doing a last second, one handed, reaching way out of prone, leg adjustment is super easy with the ckye.

You are right that an ARCA plate from 419 in the B&T pattern should go straight on to the TBAC

I would:
    -With all due respect, make sure your BT-10 is performing poorly enough to warrant the upgrade…to include really looking at your technique and making sure your expectations are in line with your abilities. Can you replace the pic clamp with an Arca B&T and tighten your technique to extract more value from your existing bipod? Or…

-Pick the features you like the looks of, buy a crowd favorite, and commit to it. Or…

-Buy your top three choices from reliable retailers, try each one out in your living room and return/resell the ones you don’t like. Consider any costs to you (shipping) to be the price of getting hands on time with multiple models.

You might look into ACCU-TAC bipods, I’ve got the Atlas Super Cal and it’s a nice bipod, but I just picked up the Accu-Tac 50 cal bipod and it’s freaking solid.

Reactions: rady and Baron23
    not to be a dick but a good field bipod is going to have some play in it

my favorites after trying them all are: ckye, then tbac, then harris, then atlas but they all have some play

for what you are wanting to do, i would look at f class style bipods or maybe accutac but i would prefer all of the above four for a field bipod

ETA: And, yes, you can put an rrs Arca plate on the TBAC View attachment 7672931
    You were not a Dick at all, my friend. Thank you for the reply.

I’m not expecting zero play in it and I can indeed take slack out by loading it up, but it seemed like whole lot of slack but only when the legs are full extended.

while there will be some play in it, do you find the Ckye has less than say a TBAC? Pretty solid.

and thank for the reply wrt ARCA on TBAC and the pics.

Did you you check the leg retaining bolts for being loose on the BT-10? I've had them loosen on a PSR.
    Thanks. I’ll check it out but it’s only really slack when legs a fully extended and most of it seems to come from the extended part of the leg.

Been thinking a lot about this.

“I'm looking for a rock solid bipod with the ability to lock the cant...truly lock it”

You know there is/needs to be some slack in the bipod, that you take out by loading it, but that supplies the range of motion needed to keep it from hopping (this is the problem with Harris)? And that most bipods with cant require the addition of a pod-loc or some at-home torque leverage to really “lock” the cant. Without the extra leverage you can keep it from being sloppy but not really lock it out. If that’s what you want, you’ll need a no-can’t model.

“It can be quite expensive to do trial and error on bipod purchases”

Damn straight. It’s super frustrating to make expensive purchase decisions based on online reviews and questionable forum responses. There’s always the often recommended, “go to a match and ask other dudes to let you touch their equipment”. Which, as I type it, sounds like a great way to get punched and also never seems realistic
    Also, if you feel inclined to take some training, sometimes you can luck out and get an opportunity to try other equipment in the class.

I also think that maybe an f-class style bipod might meet your needs. Something with a rigid design and sled feet. The caveat being that those are almost always used with a rabbit ears style rear bag and a stock designed to slide in those rabbit ears. Maybe not but it’s another avenue to explore.

I really like my Ckye-pod. It has an OEM Arca mount so no plates needed. I have a gen 1.5, I think. It took some getting used to but it’s been a part of my growth as far as consistency from prone. I could shoot well enough with my previous Harris but am much more consistent with the ckye. I don’t really like the way the legs pull out without needing to have a button pushed…which means that if you catch a foot on something, you can extend a leg “accidentally”. In matches, you can hook a foot on a prop and suddenly you have one leg out and one in. I seem to remember TBAC legs being more like notched Harris legs in that regard, it takes conscious effort to change a leg’s length. Someone might correct me on that, I don’t have one in front of me and I didn’t do a lot of leg adjusting the day I used one. On the other hand, doing a last second, one handed, reaching way out of prone, leg adjustment is super easy with the ckye.

You are right that an ARCA plate from 419 in the B&T pattern should go straight on to the TBAC

I would:
    -With all due respect, make sure your BT-10 is performing poorly enough to warrant the upgrade…to include really looking at your technique and making sure your expectations are in line with your abilities. Can you replace the pic clamp with an Arca B&T and tighten your technique to extract more value from your existing bipod? Or…

-Pick the features you like the looks of, buy a crowd favorite, and commit to it. Or…

-Buy your top three choices from reliable retailers, try each one out in your living room and return/resell the ones you don’t like. Consider any costs to you (shipping) to be the price of getting hands on time with multiple models.
    Haha…yeah, your last point has me laughing. What heck, it’s only money and I’m old. Lol

I don’t have a PIC clamp currently. I have a 419 ARCA clamp on the BT-10.

I have looked at accutac briefly but will look again. Any reason they don’t seemed to be as popular w the PRS crowd that you know of?

I’m kind of diddling between Ckye and TBAC

Again, I expect some play and know how to take it out but w legs fully extended it just seemed like a whole lot.

I want to thank everybody for taking the time to give me some input.

Is it possible to attach a video on here? If not, pm me an email address and I’ll send you a quick video.

I suffered through the wobbles of a BT-10 on my AIs and finally bought an Elite Iron which IMHO is all you need for a prone position bipod. However, I still kept my BT-10 to use on my Anschutz and AR rifles and tried everything to cure the wobbles to no avail

Then the Victor company came out with this little gadget

ATLAS Tension Wrench

Cured about 85% of the BT-10's issues. Cheap fix

I suffered through the wobbles of a BT-10 on my AIs and finally bought an Elite Iron which IMHO is all you need for a prone position bipod. However, I still kept my BT-10 to use on my Anschutz and AR rifles and tried everything to cure the wobbles to no avail

Then the Victor company came out with this little gadget

ATLAS Tension Wrench

Cured about 85% of the BT-10's issues. Cheap fix
    I actually have one like that but the looseness is in the extended legs and not from loose cant/pan.

Thanks fir input re Elite

Ah, now I am on a keyboard and not a phone, I can be a bit more effusive (oh, joy! haha).

I guess what I want to say is that I really don't expect no flex and I'm not looking for some kind of lead sled of a bipod.

I have owned this BT-10 for a couple of years and its really just fine when the legs are not extended.

While I have shot with it partially extended, I'm not sure I have had to shoot them fully extended and the looseness it is between the base leg and the part that extends.

All the bipods we are talking about are high quality premium items so it is indeed hard to choose....but, sometimes you just got to pays yuse money and takes yous chances...right?

I will look closer at AccuTac as I haven't looked at them in detail before.

Someone above suggested that I look to tighten the bolts for the legs....and I'm not sure what they were speaking of as there are none and as said, its the leg to leg extension where the slop is from.

Enough typing, time to go shooting. Temp is below Hiroshima Ground Zero for a change today so I'm heading out (and yes, to you desert folks dealing with 115 F...I am indeed a wimp! haha)

P.S. - further thought, I'm taking Frank/Marc clinic in PA in Sep so I'm thinking to wait and see what bipods show up with other students and have a chance to check them out as right now the choices are making my head spin. I also want to take the Atlas out again at full extension....maybe I'm hyperventilating about it being too loose. We'll see...but I do want to thank you guys for taking the time to reply.

Cheers

Last edited:
    I’d say Ckye Pod. I’ve been very happy with them.

If you’re interested in trying it out let me know and I can send it to you so you can see if you’d like it. I can only shoot one gun at the time and I have two anyways. It’ll be the Gen 1 version with the PRS legs.

791B7661-68A6-44EA-B504-5CF71839D7EF.jpeg

I’d say Ckye Pod. I’ve been very happy with them.

If you’re interested in trying it out let me know and I can send it to you so you can see if you’d like it. I can only shoot one gun at the time and I have two anyways. It’ll be the Gen 1 version with the PRS legs.

View attachment 7673178
    Thank you, my friend. GREAT offer. I think, however, that since I'm only about 60 days or so out from the clinic, that I should wait and see what people bring and see if I can get a chance to get the feel of them.

If that doesn't work out, I'll def take you up on the offer.

Very kind and generous of you. 💪 👍

Reactions: Krob95
    Thank you. (y) 💪
    i must make a correction.
    there is still a bit of wiggle in the accu-tac, although quite a bit less than an extended atlas.
    i am not sure that is going to be your solution.

i think it is more "solid" for me because it is longer and i have been running it at the 45, which basically rests the rifle at one end of the wiggle.
    i suspect you will find the same thing if you run your bt-10 at 45, but then it may not be tall enough.
    in the end, the play in either when vertical lets the rifle rock straight back with recoil, and i am not sure this is a bad thing.

Last edited:
    holy cow, i had never had to run the atlas cal fully extended and i just tested it out, and now i understand the OP.
    i have to change my answer again and recommend the accu-tac if that wobble is bothering you.
    the sr-5 wiggle is tiny compared to the atlas, with both extended all the way out.

holy cow, i had never had to run the atlas cal fully extended and i just tested it out, and now i understand the OP.
    i have to change my answer again and recommend the accu-tac if that wobble is bothering you.
    Yep, get the legs out fully and I'm just found it to be a small PIA to try to get it loaded and stay loaded. Prob has to do with my lack of proper technique to some extent...maybe. But yeah, sure do wobble at full extension.

The Tbac is the best overall. For bench shooting, the Accutac is the most stable. I have and have had many different ones and the wide accutac is the most stable. Bi-pod other than elite iron imo

I went to the range today....needed to move my scope for eye relief when prone vs where it was set for bench. I took the occasion to more closely look at the bipod and its slop and in fact its really only when the legs are full extended and hence there is no part of the lower leg (or not much of the lower leg) in the upper leg and that's when I get a good bit of slop. One notch up from full is still a sloppy but not n as bad and anything further up is just fine. When the leg is collapse to minimum, its just freakin fine and easy to load up a bit and make it solid.

I can't imagine what it would be like with lower leg fully extended and the 3" leg extensions added on there also. Wow.

I do believe that my plan is to sit tight for now, go to the Frank/Marc clinic in Sep, see what others have brought and maybe get better insight, then decide. And, that puts me coming right on up to Black Friday and maybe some deals.

Thanks again to all.

Reactions: Criver600
    The Tier-One Tactical Bipod with carbon fiber legs is hands down the best bipod. Very light, push-button leg deployment with pan/tilt. Mine weighs 9.7 ounces with the M-Lok adapter.

Last I read, Frank uses the Elite Iron.

I wanted a very stable bipod for shooting off a swivel bench for prairie dog shooting so I didn’t have to lug around a 15lbs X-shaped sandbag. I bought:
    • Elite Iron panning (EI owner suggestion for my application, most like the non-panner)
    • LRA (long range accuracy) Lite Tactical F-Class Bipod (not ultra lite). It’s never in stock, but now it is
    • Atlas Scal
    I don’t have much time to type, but my short answer is the EI has the best cant control to get a NPA but is not QR, but I notice RRS has a pic rail to Arca clamp. I should buy that (you’ll have to factor in the increased height of any adapter as that ring might hit your barrel…I’d prob have to buy a bigger ring). The EI isn’t a one-size fits all if you have sporter stocks and chassis rifles. It also has, in my view, a bunch of unnecessary bumps all over for gripping. It’s sort of unpleasant to move the legs into position compared to the Atlas and LRA. Also, the legs simply extend when pulling vs the two others. I can’t stand that as they snag on my bag, clothes, etc and extend by accident. But it seems more “military” and the bumps and extension mech make it faster to get into position, which is probably the point.

The LRA is second for NPA ease and is my favorite because it is nice to handle (no sharp or bumpy edges), is as stable as the EI, and can be moved to any rifle. Partially carbon fiber. I bought their QR and prefer it to the ADM QR on the Atlas, but am considering the RRS Arca adapter. No feet options, but has threaded bits under the rubber feet.

The Atlas probably has the nicest leg extension (for me), is very nicely made, but has the worst cant control for NPA. Very little travel between on/off. It feels a bit less stable as it the gun sits higher, but not much. Lots of feet options for the Atlas.

Last edited:
    Ps. The regular Tier One looks quite nice if you want a panner but is not actually carbon fiber. It’s a thin sleeve, either for looks or if I’m charitable, to lessen the cold weather effect on one’s fingers. I’d buy the aluminum version (cheaper).

They also make a bipod like the LRA, but I found out the hard way it must be extended beyond the stock to work (not quite clear in their site), much like the EI. It is also not actually CF; I know because I pulled a sleeve off by accident!

This is something I forgot to mention about the EI, if you have limited room, the EI is problematic, but the further out you go the more stable. Trade-offs.

edit: here are two bipod reviews I don’t see posted here. They are pretty good and feature some bipods that aren’t discussed/reviewed much:

I forgot to mention about the EI, if you have limited room, the EI is problematic, but the further out you go the more stable.
    Its to go on a JAE chassis with the 2" ARCA rail so if I go in that direction I think it will be fine as it will be in front of the fore end.

Accutac. You can get it with arca or pic rail attachments. You can lock the cant and it won’t move.

Hi guys - yesterday was a bit illuminating to me.

My good friend @GBMaryland brought his Elite Iron and BT CAL bipod to the range yesterday and I did get a chance to handle both.

The Elite Iron is indeed a solid piece of work. I can perhaps see why a PRS competitor may not favor this design, but for a non-competitor like myself it looks just fine. Now, I would have to take a close look at the dimensions for the ring adapter as I would have to use an ARCA clamp with a Pic adapter. RRS and Area419 make such a thing but it would increase the vertical dimension needed for clearance of the ring over the barrel. Something to look into.

Now, the CALS he brought was the most surprising. Its lower legs are significantly wider with a key way and had VERY much less slack when fully extended than my BT-10. Way different.

Again, my issue with MY BT-10 is not with the cant/panning head being loose. I have one of those aftermarket wrenches to tighten it as much as I want but even when not tight, that's just cant and pan movement, not really wiggle like in the legs. On my BT-10, the wiggle is in the lower leg when fully/mostly extended.

@GBMaryland 's speculated (but we aren't sure) that mine is an older version of the BT-10???? That BT changed to thicker lower legs on more recent production to get the wiggle out?

It looks like they are up to version 8 on the BT-10 per their naming convention but I have no idea what the differences in versions are and if any of these changes impacted the lower legs. I got mine with the rifle that I bought from a fella with 21 rounds through it and the bipod came with it. It was new but I have zero idea what vintage it is. I know that they did something to stop legs rotating on the PRS version (key way?) but have no idea about any leg changes to the BT-10.

Anybody have a newish Atlas BT-10 and can compare to CAL lower legs?

And, I'm giving Accutac a close look also.

Decisions, decisions.

Right now I'm focused on EI and CAL and @GBMaryland has multiple CAL's and will lend me almost anything (cause he's a really great friend) so I will get a chance to try one out.

Thanks again to all those who were so very kind to reply and provide me some info and insight.

Cheers

Oooooh, I didn't think about that. However, I can honestly say that I've never seen an Atlas bipod with that kind of play...